Anyone afraid to skip exercising?

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
I find that I feel compelled to exercise every day even if I feel tired or want to sit down and do other things for a day. I fear that I will gain weight if I skip too many days of my cycling, which is my main form of exercise.

What is a sensible amount of exercise to do?

I am averaging about 6-8 hours of cycling a week, sometimes more.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lifting 3 days a week for no more than an hour.

Mild to moderate cardio no more than 3 times a week for no more than an hour.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I feel like I have to exercise. When I don't I get depressed. Exercise just makes me feel better even when I'm sore. I had a trainer tell me that three days a week was good for exercise but he didn't say how long.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I am taking Sunday off. We are going away overnight to party. Will be drinking lots beers. Have exercised 14 days in a row doing 30 DS and treadmill.

I deserve a day off. Might double up 30 DS tomorrow. Oh the guilt!
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    Absolutely, very compelled to exercise everyday! Sometimes twice a day!

I think that is a good thing though. With MFP the link between exercising and getting to eat a little bit more is a serious motivator for me.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday. I do it because it makes me feel great and It's become part of my daily routine.
    I now do two hours of cardio a day, one hour in the morning and one hour at night.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options
    Yes. Even when I'm achy or just dont feel like it I try to exercise everyday in order to keep my motivation up. I do alternate my activities though.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i do.. and panic if i can't.. (I have bad knees.. and get really pissy when then hurt too much to walk)..
    i panic even more if i just had a large meal..
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Yes, I think I might be finding it tough going as I have been sticking to cycling which can get really tiring with all the hills.
    I mostly enjoy it as it gets me out into the countryside (I don't drive and buses are too expensive for such distances) but sometimes I have to drag myself kicking out the door, I must admit, just wanting to have a day of doing some of my hobbies and relaxing.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and weight training 3xs weekly. On non "workout" days, I ride my bike or walk for 30-60 minutes. I must admit, that riding my bike for sheer enjoyment seems like less "work" than being in the gym; and yes, I feel a little "antsy"; but I don't worry (or obsess) about missing a day or two. There are issues that routinely come up that interrupt your workout schedule . Practice patience with yourself.
  • sandradaisy
    Options
    Ya, even on whats supposed to be on our day off for rest, I fell like I have to do something, even if its half what we normally do, have to do something...
  • graelwyn
    Options
    i do.. and panic if i can't.. (I have bad knees.. and get really pissy when then hurt too much to walk)..
    i panic even more if i just had a large meal..

Yep, that is me. If I feel very bloated or had a bad eating night, I then feel impelled to exercise even if I really feel like giving myself a rest, I guess the lesson is to not have too many bad eating nights, lol.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you dont get proper rest to recover torn muscle youll overtrain and eventually injure yourself.
    Take at least 2 days for full rest.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way... I do an hour of cardio a day, and on weekends I add other stuff like yoga and zumba. I rearrange my schedule to ensure that I go. I don't hurt or feel bad or anything, it's what I do and it works like therapy for me.
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    I feel the same way. I only allow myself to take one day off of exercise....can never take off two days in a row. I'm afriad I will fall off the 'exercise wagon' if I do. Scary. I try to do 45-70 mins a day of something, usually cardio with some strength training built in on alternate days.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 Day Shred and missed a few days in the beginning; now I'm terrified to miss one!
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I am not afraid to skip....I NEED to! And recovery time is worth it!:drinker:
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    i usually get an hour a day with a day off in about 7-10 days but if i am really burnt out i give myself the day off. I think your body tells you when it has had enough.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    *whispers* It's an addiction!! It can get you like anything else and it can be not healthy if you push your body beyond it's limits, don't get enough rest, or allow your body the time to heal. It can make you prone to illness and injury also..

I force myself to listen to my body... before my body takes the choice out of my hands!!
  • aggie613
    aggie613 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm not saying it's not nice to eat the extra calories, but my nutritionist (who counsels the US Olympic Diving Team), says it's 80% diet/20% exercise. You can burn all the cals you want, but if you aren't eating properly, it won't necessarily make you lose any faster. You're supposed to be active for 30 mins 5-6 days/wk, but I know most of us do classes or videos that are 45-60 min, so I'm happy when I get my 3 days of cardio in.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. Exactly why I love this site so much..Also, why this site has been so critical to my weight loss and journey.

I tend to get obsessed about things I am doing..so with that said..yes, I feel horrible and guilty if I miss a day of scheduled exercise. I go to the gym or run outside for 1 hour 3-5 days a week. On days I've ran outside and my legs are tired and sore I rest..it's hard because I do feel guilty. With that said, our bodies need rest so listen to your body..if it's saying rest, then rest. Because I am an all or nothing kind of gal I find it difficult to scale down my exercise and say walk.. I'm learning, but haven't gotten there yet.

I too have heard that 80% is diet and 20% is exercise.. on days I don't workout I pay close attention to my food intake.. Hope this helps