Whey Protein

Options
Has anyone had success with whey protein powders? I've never considered using it before, but I realized I just don't know anything about it. Does it taste ok? What brands and flavors are good? Is it something you enjoy drinking like a dessert, do you have to get used to it, or do you always just have to force it down? Would having one shake a day (in place of a meal like lunch) combined with light exercise increase weight loss, or is the stuff just for body builders?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition tastes best in my opinion, but to each his own.

Protein powders by themselves shouldn't really be used as meal replacements, more as a supplement to what you have. If you search you'll see quite a few threads about stuff to add to them.

You can also add protein powders to other foods such as oatmeal or peanut butter, etc. There are quite a few videos on youtube showing protein powder recipes. I like lean body lifestyles.

If your primary goal is weight loss and limited exercise I wouldn't think the expense and benefit of a protein powder would help. It'd be better to concentrate on getting more lean proteins in your meals and replacing the carbs and/or excessive fat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i use designer whey and it's delicious. i'm pretty picky about food too. i have the strawberry, choco and vanilla flavors and all are good. i mix fruits and sometimes veggies with mine as well as yogurt, almond milk or coconut milk. i never have to add any sweetener either.

i suppose on average my smoothies are like 250-300 calories so i do use them as meal replacements sometimes (mainly breakfast but a few times dinner) maybe 3-4 times a week
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to get enough protein, then whey is a great option to supplement your regular food intake.

I regularly add a scoop to my mid morning coffee and drink a whey shake after my workout.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I use vanilla whey powder in smoothies. The Abs Diet book contains several excellent smoothie recipes, all of which call for whey powder. I occasionally use chocolate whey powder in a few ounces of skim milk as a protein shake after a hard strength workout. I never take whey powder on its own. I agree with the poster who says it should be used as a supplement, not as a meal replacement.