Motivation only lasts a few days?

Options
Once every month or so, I get this great I-will-work-out-every-day-and-not-drink-soda-ever-again sort of mindset, but it seems to only last a day or (if I'm lucky) a few days. I still meet my calorie goal each day and work out 3 times a week, but I feel like I could do more.

How can I strengthen my willpower?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    dont think of it as needing willpower.

just be committed to your goals. if you're committed to reaching your goals then motivation and will power doesn't matter

for instance i'm committed to paying my bills on time because of that i dont need will power to go to work, i just do because i know that x activity leads to y result.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Once every month or so, I get this great I-will-work-out-every-day-and-not-drink-soda-ever-again sort of mindset, but it seems to only last a day or (if I'm lucky) a few days. I still meet my calorie goal each day and work out 3 times a week, but I feel like I could do more.

I ask a friend to forbid me from drinking soda. LOL. The first couple days anytime I wanted one I thought about my promise not to, and it gave me the strength to hold out just through that craving. And with each one I got stronger. After a couple weeks it was easier and easier (I'm at 22 days with no soda). The funny thing was, I talked to him about it at the 10 day mark or so, and he didn't even remember the conversation. LOL - he totally changed my life and didn't even know it.
  • anarod0513
    anarod0513 Posts: 119
    Options
    Tink of the end result and what it means to you. To me my end result means finally wearing a bikini to the beach and not being embarrassed, and a very healthy life style. You can do it!!!!! I have not drank soda in i don't know how long, that's how long it's been. You can substitute soda for crystal light to go mix packets or snapped diet iced lemon/peach tea. Only ten calories per pack. I can make a pack last me about 2-3 days. And it tastes good, just no carbonation.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Luckily, over time, my mind set is that I'm motivated 90% of the time. Then I have those days (usually TTOM) that I'm like: screw it! But it passes about 2.5 days later and I'm back on track :)

Just try to fight through those feelings for just one extra day when it hits. Eventually, your mind set can change.

It takes 21 days to develop a habit. :)
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I have a clear vision of what I want to look and feel like in a few months' time. Everything's broken down in numbers in my head. Because I am determined to fulfill this vision, the discipline comes naturally to me. There are no so-called cheat days on my calendar because they don't help me in any way. I either work my *kitten* off and eat right to meet my goals or I fail -- and I detest personal failure with my whole being.

I was told by a couple of people in the past few months that I am "harsh" on myself. I don't care about what they think only because I am my biggest competitor.

Perhaps you need to establish what you really want to achieve on your journey. And be specific. When you know what you want, you will find out what you need to do to get there. Best of luck. :)
  • mwdsmith
    mwdsmith Posts: 3
    Options
    I highly recommend reading WILLPOWER, Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength by Roy F. Baumeister and John Tierney.

It changed my life.
  • teenytinii
    teenytinii Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way. i have been really focusing on making small changes and it seems to be working better. good luck & hang in there :)
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Motivation is fleeting ... what you need is momentum.

Do it or dont do it ... there is no try (Yoda in Star Wars I think).

Just like another said that you go to work to pay bills, study to get ahead, pay taxes, go to the doctor when sick, etc.

Have the goal in front of you and walk the path you must walk.

Cheers !
  • susur24
    susur24 Posts: 1
    Options
    try this alternate to soda!

Ingredients
    - Carbonated Water
    - Fresh squeezed Lime Juice
    - Honey

1. heat the honey up
    2. pour into a glass with the lime juice already in it
    3. pour carbonated water inside
    4. Add ice!

It's my new favorite drink now, plus I just think of Soda as cancerous with no added benefit to anything. So when I think about it. I get repulsed!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Post it on your wall and get your MFPeeps to keep you accountable. Do this for YOU!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Come back when you are ready?
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Take baby steps... pick one thing at a time and work into it. Work out EVERY OTHER day at first, then up it as you make progress. You're setting yourself up to fail by setting the bar too high.

For the soda, find something tasty that you can substitute without guilt... hot tea, flavored water, what ever works for you so that you can keep the ritual part of the habit, but without the soda.

That's just a suggestion... I, for one, have decided that something is going to kill me eventually and it might as well be diet soda. I just can't seem to live without the stuff. So I don't.
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options

It takes 21 days to develop a habit. :)

Yep. Give or take a day or two. Maybe try different things for 21 days, like no soda for a few days, then no soda and more veggies a few days, then no soda more veggies and a workout for a few days,etc. and keep adding stuff.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    make slow gradual changes. if you drink a soda every day, knock it down to 6 days a week the 1st week, then only 5 days the second week, so on and so forth, until, 7 weeks from now you don't have any sodas any day of the week. at the beginning, pick the day(s) that you are going to commit to not having any soda
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Heh, work on one at a time? Also, possibly try cutting down instead? I've successfully cut from 10-12 cans of soda/day to 2-3, going to push for the rest after finals :P
  • aquarianpixi
    aquarianpixi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do it or dont do it ... there is no try (Yoda in Star Wars I think).

"Do or do not, there is no try."