Trivia Night Potluck Suggestions?

Options
I'm participating in a trivia night on Friday and it's bring your own food/drinks. The people at my table are asking what they should bring. This is a public event (not in my home), so whatever we bring won't really be a full spread, even though this will probably be in place of my dinner. So what kind of foods or recipes should I be looking at? I would think it would mainly be finger foods that don't take up too much space and are easy to transport. And of course low calorie, low fat options are preferable.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,112 Member
    Options
    um, there are 10 million recipes (well, there are a lot) in the "Recipe" Section on the message boards.

Or google....:flowerforyou:
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Well, personally my biggest hit has been chicken breast strips, dipped in egg beaters and dragged through bread crumbs (or fiber one cereal crushed) then baked - makes a chicken finger that even my bf liked at superbowl ...............or a version of spinach dip with ff sour cream / mayonnaise (I usually pick one to do light so the non ff folks don't get their panties in a bunch :laugh: ) w/knorr vegetable dip packet, frozen chopped spinach, scallions and I choose to add some red pepper (non cooked) and jalapeno (if folks have light sstomachs, ignore that or only use the slices without the seeds..) along with baked scoops - not too bad and no one notices that the chips are baked and/or the dip is light.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    There are a lot of crockpot meatball recipes out there that I have been told are really yummy. That's something kind of heavier if it's replacing your dinner. The ones that call for chili sauce and jelly are the ones that are favored the most around here. I would get a light jelly or just count the calories for it. It's much easier to account for what you're eating when you know what goes into it! I like crock pot recipes for on-the-go because you can just take it with you and plug it in to keep it warm or if that's not possible, the crock pot still keeps it at a pretty decent temperature! Also, I would do a fresh fruit, veggie or cheese tray so that you know you'll have healthier options to munch on and keep as sides. Have fun!
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll add them to my ideas list. And cmriverside, I thought the whole point of having this message board was to share ideas and get support, so that's why I asked here instead of googling. Actually if someone suggests a kind of food, I can look up a recipe for it. But I'm not even sure what kind of foods I should be bringing/asking for others to bring. Anyway, thanks.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If it is going to be snacking-type finger foods..I would bring a large veggie tray and place it in front of me so I would not be tempted to get up and go much on someone's chips/nachos/spinach dip...I also make a grape tomato/light baby boncoccini cheese skewer that is marinated in basil, good olive oil and balsamic vinegar which is pretty yummy and low fat. :drinker:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Veggie tray with hummus dip
  • leann_m_olson
    leann_m_olson Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    People love this and always ask me for the recipe.

Black Bean Salsa(Cowboy Caviar)

Ingredients
    2 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed
    1 (17 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
    2 large tomatoes, chopped
    1 large avocado, diced
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Dressing
    1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
    3-4 Tbsp lime juice
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Directions
    1. Combine all ingred. in bowl.
    2. Cover and chill.
    3. Garnish with avocado slices
    or cilantro sprigs.
    3. Serve with tortilla chips

Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 24
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 56.7
    • Total Fat: 1.7 g
    • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
    • Sodium: 122.2 mg
    • Total Carbs: 8.8 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
    • Protein: 2.5 g

One serving is about 3 ounces, which fills about seven baked tortilla scoops. Baked scoops are 10 calories each, so one scoop FULL of cowboy caviar is only 20 calories!
  • planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oohhh! :drinker: That all sounds really yummy! I love hummus, so I know I can bring that. And the other suggestions sound really good too. Can't believe the Cowboy Caviar scoop is 20 calories. That's perfect. And I really like the skewer idea. It looks fun and is great for eating one part at a time. Thanks so much, you guys are very very helpful. :bigsmile:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll add them to my ideas list. And cmriverside, I thought the whole point of having this message board was to share ideas and get support, so that's why I asked here instead of googling. Actually if someone suggests a kind of food, I can look up a recipe for it. But I'm not even sure what kind of foods I should be bringing/asking for others to bring. Anyway, thanks.

I don't think she meant just to google it, there is a recipe forum under food and nutrition on this site. It's been a lifesaver for me a few times!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    homemade salsa
    cream cheese pinwheels - reduced fat cream cheese, chili peppers, spinkled with chili powder twirl them up slice them - dip them in the salsa