I have a confession.. -shameface-

Options
2»

Replies

• ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Az, kinda embarassed to get swimming lessons period, "Uh, yeah, I'm twenty-two, and I need swimming lessons, because I don't know how to swim.." Yeah, I'm scared they're gonna laugh at me.
    You'd be surprised at the amount of people who join the Navy and can't swim. Lessons are there to help you learn (if you want to that is) and who cares what people think, if you like to do it, then do it. And personally I just wear a swimsuit with PT shorts and a t-shirt over.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome that you're going to learn. Swimming is a lot of fun and one of those really important life skills that sadly gets ignored. It'll open up a whole new world to you. Now you can snorkel, go boating comfortably, swim in the ocean, all kinds of neat stuff.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    EJD, my twin sister and I made a deal, that if she'd join the Navy, I'd join the Coast Guard, still waiting on her go! -laughs- Yes, this is true. I'm hoping whatever pool I go to will let me wear what I want. I live in a liberal place, so I'm hoping it goes well.

E, yeah, this is true.. I'm kinda scared of boating, but I've swam in the ocean; both of them that boarder the US! I even had a pool growing up, but I'm just not confident in my swimming abilities. I'm excited!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Az, kinda embarassed to get swimming lessons period, "Uh, yeah, I'm twenty-two, and I need swimming lessons, because I don't know how to swim.." Yeah, I'm scared they're gonna laugh at me. I'll probably check Walmart for some trunks or something, and just wear a binder ontop.

Weepingwillow, swimming lessons are for all ages. I was in my late twenties, when I took swimming lessons and I still need more lessons. Hopefully, I will get back to it in the summer this year or maybe next year.

Only immature people will laugh at you for getting swimming lessons for the first time at your age. Trust me, your swimming lesson class will have people of different ages. My class had women older than me and a couple of girls younger than me. I was the only one that stuck with the class.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Az, kinda embarassed to get swimming lessons period, "Uh, yeah, I'm twenty-two, and I need swimming lessons, because I don't know how to swim.." Yeah, I'm scared they're gonna laugh at me. I'll probably check Walmart for some trunks or something, and just wear a binder ontop.

Manda, I'll definately go try to check that out; I mean, I want to learn to swim, so this is something new and fun.

GFC, yeah, I'm thinking that's probably the way to go right now.

Flopsy, I mean, I can swim a little bit, but if I fell off a boat, I'd be a goner! Yeah, am nervous, do not like the way my body looks.

BEC, That's a good idea; I need to just relax, because sometimes I wig myself out. I'm gonna go look at swimming lessons now. I wonder how much they cost..

pssh don't feel bad. I'm 31 and still learning to ride a bicycle. also I didn't really learn to swim till I was 19.
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    Everyone has insecurities about going to the beach. when I was 18 years old and 47kg (103lb) I wore a singlet and shorts to the beach because I didn't feel I was fit for the beach and I wore pants during the summer instead of shorts and dresses because I thought I didn't look as nice as the other girls.
    Since gaining weight I have realised that those insecurities were completely pointless and I have more confidence at the beach now than I did back then.
    This may sound bad, but go to the beach and judge other women. do you think they look good in what they are wearing? are they the same size as you? If you like what you see then do the same thing! You will most likely realise that the "plus sized" women you see at the beach actually look so nice and confident in what they are wearing, even if they don't think so.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    EJD, my twin sister and I made a deal, that if she'd join the Navy, I'd join the Coast Guard, still waiting on her go! -laughs- Yes, this is true. I'm hoping whatever pool I go to will let me wear what I want. I live in a liberal place, so I'm hoping it goes well.

E, yeah, this is true.. I'm kinda scared of boating, but I've swam in the ocean; both of them that boarder the US! I even had a pool growing up, but I'm just not confident in my swimming abilities. I'm excited!

You've got nothing to worry about. Once you learn the basics, it's not hard at all and so much fun.

Don't be embarassed about taking lessons as an adult. No need to be. Just learn as much as you can. Fear not!
  • anniebanani
    Options

My mum was 60 years old when she learned to swim, don't be embarrassed loads of folk can't swim x
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    AJ, I try not to wear women's clothes, as I'm in process of flipping back and forth from transitioning to male, or just living a butch life. I'll go check Amazon right now.

JB, what are deep water aerobics? I could definately try something; I won a year long gym membership, so it is a possibility for sure. I have a great tattoo on my leg, which I love to show off, but my legs are kinda gross looking. Thanks, doll.

During transition there are men's board shorts and shirts called "rash guards or sun guards" that are available in men's cuts. (amazon or speedo or nike swim) :)
    I snorkel a lot, for my last trip to the Red Sea I bought some long sleeved rash vests and leggings made from swimsuit material, which are something like SPF 30. Bonus is that if the water's cold, they make it really easy to slip a wetsuit on. :)

EDIT!! LOL Just realised I'm wearing one in my profile pic, under my shortie wetsuit :facepalm: :bigsmile:
  • takehimaway
    Options
    Az, this is true; I definately need some. I'm scared, but it looks like not-girlfriend is willing to teach me, which means she's willing to go with me. I almost drowned three different times in my life - once at some work party for my parents, once alone in my own backyard, because THE DOG DECIDED I WAS A RAFT, and one less than a year ago when I STUPIDLY DECIDED TO GO INTERTUBING, AND NOT TELL ANYONE I COULDN'T SWIM! So, water kinda freaks me out. Yeah, this is true; I'm hoping it will go well.

L, I am not confident in my bike riding abilities either, and I live in one of the most biking friendly cities in the nation!

A, the beach is soooooo far, but I feel like I dream of it every single night. My parents live on the beach, and they are so happy. Oh yeah, this is something that's been discussed; I wish I was nearly as confident as those ladies. Bam! Here I am; take me or leave me, ya know?

E, I hoping things will go smoothly. I think that's one of the main things we're supposed to do in life is learn, so I feel less ashamed now.

A, I hope my children will never have to say that about me. Thanks.

TTP, I think snorkeling would be really cool; definately something I'd be willing to try. Great Barrier Reef; here I come! [Once I get passed my fear of flying that is.. LOL!] That does sound like a good idea. Oooh, it looks good. Want!
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    I took swimming lessons when I was about 29 - thought I'd feel embarrassed etc but it was absolutely fine! I'm way more confident in the water now. New Zealand has a dreadful drowning rate, and an astonishing number of kiwis can't swim. I was bloody determined not to be one of the people on an island nation who couldn't fecking swim!

Course, I'm a bit lardy so me and swimming togs don't go down well. But the lard does make me very floaty, so it's not all bad!
  • takehimaway
    Options
    Past, not passed obviously.
  • takehimaway
    Options
    I'm hoping I will feel the same way, Amy. I need some confidence, but that will come in time. Yeah, I wouldn't wann a be one of those either. -giggles-
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

I bet you'll find that you remember more than you think. And boating is fun. I'm in Guantanamo Bay right now, and there's nothing more fun than taking a boat out on the water and snorkeling in the clear blue water out here. Get comfortable with swimming while you're still young swimming is incredibly fun.
  • takehimaway
    Options

I bet you'll find that you remember more than you think. And boating is fun. I'm in Guantanamo Bay right now, and there's nothing more fun than taking a boat out on the water and snorkeling in the clear blue water out here. Get comfortable with swimming while you're still young swimming is incredibly fun.

This makes me even more excited to go learn to swim. I have been boating a few times in my young life, and it was exciting.
  • groovyfirechick
    Options
    I didn't learn how to swim till I was 18!! I'm 31 now...I went to lots of pool parties as a kid and would sit on the steps a lot. Can't wait to hear progress updates from you about your lessons. Go for it! You can do it!!
  • takehimaway
    Options
    I didn't learn how to swim till I was 18!! I'm 31 now...I went to lots of pool parties as a kid and would sit on the steps a lot. Can't wait to hear progress updates from you about your lessons. Go for it! You can do it!!

I think it will go really well; I'm excited; hoping to see what will happen tomorrow. Thanks; I know I can.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options

I think it will go really well; I'm excited; hoping to see what will happen tomorrow. Thanks; I know I can.
    Good luck!

There's a book with a great title, "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" - it's not a book I've read but the title sums up my philosophy. It really is okay to be scared, it's healthy to have a self preservation instinct!
    Lots of people are scared of doing things, more than you'd think. And being scared doesn't have to stop you.

Swimming is a lot of fun and it's great exercise. Maybe you'll get to see all those amazing fish and corals for yourself one day, sounds like a great goal to me!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I like your thread, and your attitude. If your av is current, I would tell you to buy a suit (my daughters friend loves boys board shorts and swimming tank. I talked her into a sports bra type thing)

Anyway, as I read your posts few things came to mind. In your current situation you are probably more aware of your body, in different ways, than others. You are thinking of changing. You change it with clothing. I totally get that. Is there anyway you can separate the 2 issues?

Because, personally, I think you look great in your picture and could rock a pair of girl board shorts and tank!

As for learning new things, I got news for ya.............I am 50 and just found out I can live alone and don't need a man to hang a pair of stupid curtains!! How about THAT:laugh: :laugh: I am going to learn I can put together a book shelf and repair a lamp today. Rock on learning!!

I am so glad notgirlfriend NGF from how on, is going to help you! NGF sounds cool and you will feel comfortable because there is body contact. When I taught my 40 yr old friend, I just held her in the middle as she floated, then moved her arms and legs. She was like a piece of wood to start, but as she because more confident she swam off mommas arms right into the end of the pool. Be careful, I MEAN right into it!:tongue:

Good luck hun!:flowerforyou:
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I have all sorts of water issues. I technically can swim, but I guess for psychological reasons I can't. I had to start out by hanging out NEAR the water while it called to me. Then finding a swimsuit I felt comfortable in. Then paddling. Then wading in and standing there. Then floating a bit and treading water.

Eventually I got to the point that I could go in areas where I couldn't touch the bottom. Soon I decided 'I am going to try 3 strokes'. lmao... I know it seems silly, but it is a REALLY GOOD strategy if there is any level of fear involved. It's what they call an 'exposure ladder'. You start right with the smallest thing then move up once you feel comfortable with that small thing.

I can now happily swim backstroke in the deep areas (as long as i am in an enclosure, but in stinger-infested north queensland that is moot), and I can swim maybe 50m of freestyle.

I suggest that once you find a bathing suit that you think you might be comfortable with, spend time in your room just wearing it. Get used to it. Then hang out with your friend just playing at the pool while she demonstrates some theory. Then start out with just a few strokes.

Also, just saying, I like your body in your profile pic. ;) I think you'd look hot as in a rashie and some boardies. :O