Feeling Tired and Sluggish - to detox or not

Options
I suffer with binge eating problems and have had a bingy week and put on all the weight I recently lost - but enough is enough and I am starting fresh - have bought all new healthy veg and am going to try clean eating for a while.

Question is would anyone suggest I try to detox before starting this so that I clean out the old rubbish or should I just head straight into the clean eating and that will detox me enough?

Replies

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I suffer with binge eating problems and have had a bingy week and put on all the weight I recently lost - but enough is enough and I am starting fresh - have bought all new healthy veg and am going to try clean eating for a while.

Question is would anyone suggest I try to detox before starting this so that I clean out the old rubbish or should I just head straight into the clean eating and that will detox me enough?

I find that living by the rule of KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid, is the easiest way.

If you say you have a problem, and you get into your head that you need to do something else before you do something else to correct that problem you will always be in a constant state of flux and you will never reach your goal.

Just start by eating good and controlling your binges. Of course get rid of any food that may distract you but my advice is to keep it simple... Don't get fixated on any sort of "detox" suffering through that may harm your weight loss progress. Detox with lean chicken, veggies, fruits, nuts etc.
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    i would have thought that a detox may not be the best thing for you as the restriction may end up triggering more bingeing? it may be best to just start eating healthily again and trying to eat things you enjoy in moderation. know it's easier said than done though!
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thank you - this is what I was thinking but someone had suggested I try a detox before getting started - as far as I am concerned Eating clean should sort out any problems anyway

Going to eat smaller meals more often made up of only natural foods so lots of veggies, lean meats, fish and no longer eat anything processed (well as far as possible)
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Can I ask how many calories you're on? Just make sure its not too low as that really makes it hard. I started here for the first 50 days on 1600 cals because I knew there was no way I would be able to drop to 1200 from what I was doing before!

I personally found Paul Mckennas I can make you thin book very useful in changing how I eat. His mantra is basically eat what you want, when you want as long as you are hungry, eat slowly and stop eating when full. It makes a huge difference, but also the whole book is so useful and cleverly written and helps get rid of the guilt trips we often put ourselves through.
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    I am on 1770 cals as I still have lots of weight to lose - I am not silly and think too low cals wouldn't work for me anyway that would make me binge
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Detoxes do more harm than good. They're hugely stressful on your body, and really piss your kidneys and liver off big time, rather than helping them.

If you need a psychological separator between a binge phase and starting to eat well again, a day or two of "detox" won't be the end of the world, but if you can just switch straight into "healthy mode", that's better for you.
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    Options
    I am on 1770 cals as I still have lots of weight to lose - I am not silly and think too low cals wouldn't work for me anyway that would make me binge
    Didn't insinuate that you were silly, just some people try to lose lots quickly and it makes it loads harder.
    Do you binge on anything in particular? I used to be a chocoholic, eating 200g bar of Dairy Milk a day. I stopped myself buying it and bought dark chocolate instead as its really hard to binge in that!
  • Carnivorekat
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean you made me seem silly - I can binge on anything, chocolate, crisps and takeaways it is like someone else takes me over - I want so much to be healthy and happy with my weight but feel sometimes I just lose all control.

Lots of great advice, am definitely going to aim at eating healthy straight away and try to minimise my binge eating - I am stepping away from the scales for a while too as was getting on them nearly every day so they are going to be put away somewhere that I can't get to them and am going to stop worrying about what I weigh and start working on feeling healthy
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    Options
    Certainly trying healthier versions of your binge foods will help, like French frie crisp rather than walkers. dark chocolate rather than milk (aldi do really nice dark chocolate called moser roth) oven chips rather than takeaway chips....
    Good luck :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Detox is a word that should be struck from your vocabulary unless you're a drug addict in recovery or have been exposed to some very specific toxins and are seeking the appropriate medical treatment for said exposure.

The word detox gets tossed around by so-called weight loss gurus as if it's some kind of magic bullet. The good ones just waste your money and don't actually do you any harm but there are some regimens (lemonade comes to mind) that are downright nutritionally unsafe.

21st century snake oil........caveat emptor.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I believe in detoxing once every 4-6mos. My way of detoxing is cutting out processed carbs and sugars completely for two weeks. You pretty much each nothing but vegetables and lean meat. The first three days are hard because your body is going through carb and sugar withdrawal. But after that you slowly start to add in an extra serving of fruit/whole grain carbs to your diet. This way you won't gain any of the weight you lost (mostly water weight but it really does clean your system effectively)!