Confused about sugar

Options
I am really confused about the sugar intake. I go over everyday. Some of it comes from fruits. Is it bad to go over your allowed amount everyday? What difference does it make? Please help me understand the effects of sugar on my weight loss..

Replies

• markxster
    markxster Posts: 19
    Options
    Well, I guess my burning question is..."How much sugar are you taking in every day?" I need grams.

-Mark

212319.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I go over every day too. I did bump my sugar to 60 grams instead of the 33 recommended by MFP. I still go over occassionally, but that is when I have a "bad" day and eat sweets. I have cut back alot on what I used to eat for sweets, but am finding sugar is in alot of things I never would have guessed. Like milk?? I drink 1/2% and it has like 9 grams of sugar in one cup! Crazy! I am curious what others have to say about it too. Is 60 grams too much for one day? I have to get 67 grams of protein and I rarely get that all in. Thanks!
  • clmhgriz
    clmhgriz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering about this too. My calculated daily goal is supposed to be 24 grams, but I get that in just one Powerbar. I also drink milk and have fruit, so I'm always way over. I'm eager for help also! :ohwell:
  • Mmarcos
    Mmarcos Posts: 31
    Options
    If it's coming from fruits, I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're only having a few pieces a day. It's the refined sugar that you should limit.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I go over too, mostly in milk and fruits. Hmm...I don't know what to tell you!
  • markxster
    Options
    I am routinely hitting around 30 grams in a given day, though I still take in some M&Ms throughout the day. Shhhh! Don't tell the wife! :tongue: I think that your sugar intake will not break the bank when it comes to whether or not you will lose any weight, especially if you are working out...doing cardio for at least 30 minutes a day. I honestly do not even pay attention to my sugar intake. Most importantly for me is Calorie Intake, then Carbohydrate Intake, then Protein and Fat Intake. I think MFP is not so concerned with sugar intake either since you have to specifically ask for the sugar intake report; it is not automatically given to you in your nutrition log. The only time I would say your sugar intake is a real issue is if it is REALLY HIGH (ie eating sweets all of the time) or if you are a Diabetic. If you suffer from Diabetis, then you should consult a physician and/or the American Diabetis Association (ADA).

I know of one fitness program that is specifically designed for Diabetics, and the only one that is backed by the ADA. If you want or need more information, please contact me via email. It is called Project you: Type 2.
  • aprilrenee71
    Options
    It looks like I am staying under 75 a day and some of that comes from fruit. I just can't believe that sugar is in a lot of stuff I never knew it was in. I hope it is not interfering with my weight loss.
  • staclo
    staclo Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It looks like I am staying under 75 a day and some of that comes from fruit. I just can't believe that sugar is in a lot of stuff I never knew it was in. I hope it is not interfering with my weight loss.

I know that it can interfere with weight loss, I'm just not sure to what extent. The sugar in fruit is fine. I think that it's the stuff in the processed foods that you have to worry about. Of course, cutting out all that processed junk is better for us in general regardless.
  • markxster
    Options
    The problem with sugar is two-fold: it increases one's blood sugar and stops your body from using stored fat for energy and foods high in sugar tend to be high in carbohydrates which will be an additional fuel source for your body. Eliminating extra sugar (like processed foods and sweets) is a good thing. You do not have to be concerned with sugar found in fruits and other "healthy foods", because these foods typically are higher in fiber than processed foods. Also, think about it...fruit doesn't come with a nutrition label, so it must be good for you!:happy:
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I don't even track my sugar, hehe! Keeping in range for everything else is enough for me. I think calories are more important overall that sugar, unless yo'ure downing a bottle of syrup each day, ha!
  • Canadazeus
    Canadazeus Posts: 2
    Options
    Please don't worry about sugar. It is simply a carb, a highly processed one, but just carb. Carbs are fuel. You need 60% of your caloric intake from Carbohydrates. Worry more about getting your carbs in "complex" form. If you avoid highly processed carbs altogether, which is the whole point, sugar will just be a small part of eating properly.

Eat whole wheat tortillas, flour, rice, pasta and beans. Lots of beans. Avoid white carbs. Get your fiber up to 25 grams a day, and you will find you have no room for highly processed foods of any kind. Concentrate on getting 25 g of fiber, and less than 10 g of saturated fat. That is the hard part. When you find out you have been eating white carbs in highly processed foods, and over 50 to 100g of saturated fat a day, you will start to see why this is an obese nation on the edge of health crisis. Fix it. The pounds will fall off, and you will be eating what you should.

Sugar is not a part of eating well on its own. It is just another white carb to avoid.