Is it possible to gain 5lbs in a week?

Options
I'm sure my scales must be wrong as my clothes don't feel tighter but it's so stressful looking at the scales. I've torn a ligament in my foot so I haven't done my usual 4 workouts but I'm worried as I don't feel in control and I won't be back to normal workouts for another week or two (I started back with upper body today). I've been eating about 1500 calories a day as opposed to the 1300 I'm normally meant to eat.

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    It is impossible to gain 5lbs of fat in a week without eating an average surplus of about 2500 calories each day over what you expended. Given your caloric intake, its therefore impossible. Your 5lbs is water weight so don't worry about it. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Water weight. Watch your sodium.

I'm a tall guy - 6'5" so I weight about 205, which is a great healthy weight for me. Couple of weeks ago I had two nights out with friends, ate a few chips watching the game, and was 211 on Monday morning. No way did I eat 21,000 extra calories to gain 6 pounds. I returned to my normal eating during the week, which is about 2,000 net calories, and I was back to 205 in four days. Can't lose 6 pounds of fat in a week either, so it was mostly water bloat.

Just keep eating, watch the sodium, and it will return to normal.

My "normal" weight is anything from 205 to 210. I am never the same day to day, but almost always the same every Friday morning.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Technically, yes - but unlikely in your case if your diet habits are even close to what you are reporting. Agree with the others that it is more suspect to be water retention. I have also experienced what 967 said - eat too much sodium, whether chips or even some cured meats and you will see weight hang on for a couple days. But, return to your normal diet and it should shed in a couple days (drinking extra water seems to make the body release the sodium and water). I visit with friends on some Thursday evenings - drink only water and eat some snack foods that I budget for in my daily calories yet Friday am's weight will always be a 3-4 lb gain from Thursday but it will be gone by Sunday (usually with extra gone).
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to gain 5lbs of fat in a week without eating an average surplus of about 2500 calories each day over what you expended. Given your caloric intake, its therefore impossible. Your 5lbs is water weight so don't worry about it. Just keep doing what you're doing.

^^This is your answer! Couldn't have said it better myself! Good luck with the healing process! ^^
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you`ll loose them just as quickly. At Christmas I ate everything, gained 5, and lost 3 as soon as I was reducing my calories again.

In my experience, increasing my intake by 200 cals is enough to throw me into a plateau.

But if you get back on your feet in 2 weeks, exercise and cut back your calories, you should be back where you were in no time at all.
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    Thanks everyone for replying, as you can see I probably get more wound up by what the scales say than I should! I'm going to up my water and keep an eye on the sodium. Have a lovely weekend :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Lol, I can easily gain 5lbs in a DAY! It's water!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition