I reached my goal. I was happy with my new body but...

Options
I have had quite a few people say 'don't lose anymore weight' and I can't help but take that negatively.

I have had a friend go recently 'I think you should gain 4 kilos' I mean really!? 4 kilograms!?!?

another say 'god woman! eat something!'

It's quite depressing to think that you went too far and are now disgustingly thin :(

I have recently gained 2 kilograms and am beginning to dislike what I see in the mirror... I seem to be falling back on my exercise and eating more junk now that I feel the need to gain weight.

I feel I am in a big slump right now because I'm so confused. I don't see this frail stick insect that other people see. I don't want to end up getting so depressed that I fall off the wagon completely and put all of the weight back on. I'm really trying to be strong and continue to eat well and exercise occasionally.

Can anyone relate to this? and if so... how did you deal with it? Any suggestions? Don't suggest that I just 'ignore' what people say... Unfortunately that is not an option as I am very sensitive :( I can't help but take everything that someone says to heart... :/

Replies

• iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I honestly think you look great.. if your feeling happy in your own skin then thats the most importan thing! If your worried about "looking to thin" then try to tone up a little more but I honestly think your thin but not sickly thin:flowerforyou: congrats on your weight loss!
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    I think you look incredible in your pictures. People now a days are so exposed to overweight people that they think that it is normal. You should always think about how you feel. I got up to 210lbs and everyone thought I looked fin, but I wasn't happy, or fine. My joints hurt, I didn't have any energy. Now I'm down to 188 and still want to get to 175 and people think I'm being crazy. Its just that I'm thinner than the "normal" person. Unfortunately the normal person is overweight.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was down to 129 lbs. While I didn't see that I was that small, other people did. Both complimentary and negatively.

I gained back 10 pounds (happy weight. Divorce was final and I found real love). Now I feel a bit pudgy, but still wearing the same size.

So, even a few pounds on either side of "that's perfect" can seem to go negatively. Just go by how you feel.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal! How about a new goal for yourself based on fitness level v. weight. E.g. to do a chinup or run 5 miles or whatever inspires you? Personally I think you look great. It reminds me of how I was after I lost my weight. Then I did p90X and added a bunch of muscle. My measurements did not change but I gained 3 pounds and feel even better. Plus with the added muscle my body burns through more calories and I eat more :)

Good luck-IGNORE those who make those comments and focus on yourself and your goals. Just deflect them-"I feel great actually". "I'm sure "im eating enough since my energy is through the roof but thanks for your concern"
  • psanoja
    psanoja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well, first, from the picture you posted I can tell you you look great. Perhaps others are channelling their envy or their own prejudices? Don't listen to others, follow your plan and enjoy the feeling of having achieved what you set out to.
    Second, instead of eating junk to pack up a bit more weight, what about some exercising and packing some muscle instead?
    Third, do you feel healthy? If so, forget about what other people suggest you'd do.
    You look great, say this to yourself and DON"T fall off the wagon.
  • Darla1960
    Darla1960 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They may be used to seeing you a little heavier and it is going to take time for them to adjust to the new you. If you like what you see then that is what counts, as long as you are eating heathy and exercising, then i would just give them some time to adjust to the new you. They will stop after they get used to it. Some people don't deal well with change. Just make sure you are a healthy weight and keep the healthy lifestyle going. Good luck with your friends and be proud of yourself for making the change to be healthy.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think u look amazing! And yes I have had those comments myself...take them with a grain of salt and brush them off..maybe your next step should be weight training?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Do NOT listen to them. They just want you to be fat to make themselves feel comfortable. You look great, feel great and are healthy. Instead encourage them to join you for a workout, or a run. BUT GOOD GOD, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM.
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bless you. I was at a "normal" BMI and according to my nurse, a healthy weight, 2.5- 3 years ago. But I looked awful, my mum and other family and friends were telling me I was too thin and I needed to put weight on as I looked ill. (I thought I looked pretty good but desperately needed toning) One of the photos is in my profile pictures, where I looked my skinniest (5th one, at my Mum's wedding, carrying a Bible with flowers on top) .

Unfortunately I can't help you with adivce as I lost the weight due to stress and coming off the Pill. I put it all back on over the next 2 - 2.5 years by basically eating rubbish.

If you want to gain weight but do it right, can I suggest eating more protein and maybe doing more strength workouts? I'm in no way a professional though, so I don't know!
    Your family and friends just love you and are trying to look out for you - they probably think that you're damaging yourself because if they don't eat well and exercise, they don't understand. It's all about educating them! When I started MFP and logging my food/exercising, my mum shook her head at me and said "you're fine as you are" even though I'm overweight. It's just because she sees me every day and doesn't realise that I've put weight on. She loves me and doesn't want me to punish myself. Once I told her that I'm not "on a diet", just trying to be healthier, she even got on board with it herself!

Dunno if any of that helped... If not, I'll just send you a *hug* :)
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have that problem with what my Mom says all the time. No matter what folks say, what she says always tends to stick with me. Sometimes I get away from it by not calling, or not telling her what is going on in my life cause I don't want to hear the critizism.
    But that is how I got to where I was. I took everything to heart and everytime I took it to heart I got depressed and then I ate. It is my m.o.. But it finally took me getting to a program where we say "what other foks think of you ain't your business!" Being that, no matter if folks think good or bad of me, what is that to me, what do I think of me.
    I didn't think too good of me for quite a long time and I abused my body bacause of it, with other substances and food. But it took looking inside and not outside for my problems... It's an inside job!
    So, all that to say this, How do you feel about you? cause that is what you are truly reflecting outward!

Mike / BC / Socks
  • AlyssaAmes3
    AlyssaAmes3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of the same type of commets from my family. Personally I think you look great and healthy! I think it is just hard for the ones that see us all the time becuase we look different and it might scare them. Like my husband started with his comments when my face was thinning out. I admit it took some adjusting to get use to a skinnier looking me. Looking back at pictures I have lost a bit of weight in my face. However, I just keep telling myself that I am healthy and as long as I want to lose weight I will. I am about 7 pounds away from my goal of where I was at in high school. Im still going for it. It is taking a bit longer than it has before but Im still plucking away at it. You could also talk with your doctor and if your doctor isn't concerned I wouldn't be either. You could even tell people "I appreciate your concern but my doctor and I feel that I am healthy". Good Luck I hope this helps.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your profile pics. You are slim, very nicely toned and beautiful! Some people need time to change their image of you. And others are just plain envious.

Keep exercising and eat healthy. You're not dieting anymore, so you can indulge every now and then. But there's no reason to question yourself! Get your confidence back!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    OP, you look great to me!
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. It has revamped a little bit of positivity in me! I really need to harden up and bite back when they say these comments. Maybe I even need to backhand them! I am in the healthy weight range and my doctor doesn't say I am too thin. I'll try to turn their negativity in to positivity by thinking 'you're just jealous!' or 'you're just not used to seeing me like this'

I would like more tone. I just hate to think that all of my hard work has made me look gross lol I just seem to be losing control lately because I get all moody and depressed and go on crazy binges and then feel awful and confused afterwards which has actually resulted in some stretch marks lately o_O not cool.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    First off you are NOT disgustingly thin. You are very slim but you don't look unhealthy to me. You don't need to lose any more weight but at your current weight you are fine. Screw the haters!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You are thin, but then you also seem to be quite small boned. I wouldn't worry as long as you are eating healthy and not overdoing the exercise. Start to worry if your hipbones start jutting out or ribs showing too much, that is when you would perhaps be getting a little too thin. If people are used to seeing you heavier, they are going to take time to adjust to your new shape, especially if there has been a big change. As long as you are happy with your body, that is what is the most important, not what anyone else thinks. It is your body, not theirs.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    To me, you look quite thin in your pictures, but you look healthy too. I think we are so used to seeing bigger people that when we see someone who is in the lower end of the normal range, we think it is too thin. If you like the way you look, stay that way. However, if you want to gain weight, don't start with the junk food. Lifting some weights and eating muscle building food could add a few pounds of compact curvy muscle.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, and quite healthy. People are probably just used to seeing heavier folk and have come to percieve overweight as normal. If you wanna shut people up, though, up the intensity of your workouts and build yourself more muscle!