Can I take a week off for vacation and not gain weight?

Options
I have been woring out 6+ days a week for over a year now. I did turbo fire, chalene extreme, and just finished Insanity. Along with Insanity, I ran and lifted weights. My body is in the best shape of years (I am 39 yrs old) and I do not want to lose that. I am going on vacation for about 10 days and can do some running on the beach but since I will be staying in a condo, any jumping will disturb others. Can I basically take the week off (except for running a few days) and not lose all the momentum or do I have to work out like normal?

thank you for responding, I trust all your opinions.

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You will be fine. Enjoy your vacation.
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Any time off watching your calories will probably cause weight gain. Maybe you could just plan to eat the foods you want and have smaller portions, or be careful most of the day so you can save up your calories and still have that special meal. Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    just eat in moderation and you should be fine
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Any kind of exercise your body is going to respond to. I don't think you are going to gain any back, (unless you go crazy on the food) and no exercise. I take a day or two off, and don't suffer any ill effects. I don't do near the workout you do, but I'm exercising all the same. Besides, even if it's a pound or two, it will come right back off once you get back and resume your normal routine. Have fun, and enjoy your vacation!!
  • peachy_keen
    peachy_keen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think you'll definitely be fine. I had a work conference (free food, etc.) and worked out however I could and kept logging. As long as I was mindful, I was fine. Came back home and found that I'd lost weight. Enjoy your vacation!
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    Of course you can.

Running on the beach is fabulous. If you're in the condo, you can still do squats, yoga, stretching. I wouldn't worry about changing your routine for 10 days. It's stopping permanently that's a problem. Good luck, but most of all - have fun!!!
  • Katwilkins
    Katwilkins Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :happy: Wow :wink: you have done great on your weight loss!!! Good job!
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    No. In those ten days you will lose all you have worked for in the last year. Cancel the vacation. You've been working all this time without a break, don't ruin it now.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation! Runs and walks on the beach sound wonderful. But you have been so good that you deserve a vacation. Don't stress about it and have fun!
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You will be fine,

I have just had a week off due to illness and while watching my calorie intake I have still dropped 2lb - even just taking a walk along the beach is burning calories.

Have a great hol x
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I took about a month off from logging any food when I had a stress fracture and couldn't exercise like I wanted. At most I gained one pound. I've lost 4 pounds in the month and a half I've been back at it, while eating at maintenance level. :happy:
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    As said above, just try not to go too crazily overboard with what you eat. The workout running on the sand will be fantastic! Even walking will do wonders! Just keep logging and tracking to get a general idea of your numbers, but when you get back to your awesome routine, any gain will be gone in no time! Have fun and safe travels to you!
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you are, as long as you eat under maintenance.
  • honey1017
    honey1017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can maintain your weight without working while on vacation. I went to Europe last summer for over two weeks and I didn't gain a pound nor did I workout.

Don't deprive yourself but rather eat in moderation. You have to really listen to your body and know when to push back from the table.

You'll do fine...Enjoy yourself and don't stress.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No. In those ten days you will lose all you have worked for in the last year. Cancel the vacation. You've been working all this time without a break, don't ruin it now.

I know this was said in jest but this is my worst fear. I have worked so hard and I am truly terrified of this. Unfounded fear probably but I was over 190 lbs at my highest and after 50+ lbs gone, i do not ever want to look or feel like that again. I also would like to enjoy without getting up and working out like a crazed women every morning as I have been.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Maybe take daily walks and don't go crazy with eating. Egg white and veggie omellettes, salad with protein for lunch and eat what you want for dinner (so long as it is not fried!).....oh, and watch those creamy drinks!! Those are my favorites on vacation!!

Enjoy!!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I just got back from vacation yesterday and along with some morning jogs we walked and did alot of sightseeing and didnt gain an ounce and that was with some great meals that was just to hard to log completely so enjoy your self be a happy and healthy vacationer and you will be fine remember we are creating a life style not a diet so you will have many vacations to enjoy dont let it be a burden let it be fun
    your being in shape will allow you to go out and do more on vacation
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You will be totally fine! Even if you gain a couple of lbs,(from water retention) it will be off quickly. You have found a great program that works... and that will never fail you!

Congrats and have a great time!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    What would be the worse that could happen? you may gain a pound or two? and you know what to do to get it off. I am also headed on vacation for a week. My plans are to walk on that beach and enjoy what ever comes along. Trying to plan some active days.. sight seeing and a day of kyaking and maybe some gattor hunting, ha ha. I will be mindful of my intake but if there is something special that i want to try i will try it. When i get back i'm all set up to jump back on that horse and work hard and maybe even a bit harder for the rest of the summer.
    I'm so glad you asked this question. It helped me put my plans in order.

Have a Great Vacation!
  • kitujainen
    kitujainen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I thought you were going abroad and could recommend Greece or Crete and you could have Greek salads. I was a week in Crete and didnt gain any weight ;D Depends what the country are eating