So Confused!

Options
Hambone23
Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
I bought Buitoni Riserva Pasta Agnolotti Wild Mushroom Ravioli last night, and I'm planning to cook it for dinner. Now get this. The package says it's a 9 ounce/255 gram package. I weigh it out as 9 ounces/255 grams. Okay, that checks out. However, one serving on the back nutrition label is listed as 1 cup for 280 calories. And it says there's 2.5 cups total in the package, which would be 700 cals or so. But if it's only 9 ounces, is it more like 280 and change cals? How do I log that nonsense? I'm so confused. :grumble:

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I always go by the weight. I don't use measuring cups I weight everything on my digital scale.
  • Hambone23
    Options
    If I go by the weight, that's a /huge/ difference in calories, though. From ~700 to 230 cals. How can that be right?
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    go online on a measurement converter and convert cups to ozs.
  • LosingLizard
    Options
    I bought Buitoni Riserva Pasta Agnolotti Wild Mushroom Ravioli last night, and I'm planning to cook it for dinner. Now get this. The package says it's a 9 ounce/255 gram package. I weigh it out as 9 ounces/255 grams. Okay, that checks out. However, one serving on the back nutrition label is listed as 1 cup for 280 calories. And it says there's 2.5 cups total in the package, which would be 700 cals or so. But if it's only 9 ounces, is it more like 280 and change cals? How do I log that nonsense? I'm so confused. :grumble:

8 oz is a fluid cup. It's not the same with solids since they don't really fit the same way. Use the 700 cals.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    if its pakaged dry, then there refuring to 2.5 cups prepared, since they will swell up when cooked
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    8 oz is a fluid cup. It's not the same with solids since they don't really fit the same way. Use the 700 cals.
    [/quote]

This ^^^
  • modernmom70
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

This!
    Also usually the serving size will also indicate the weight as well as the volume. eg 1 cup (however many grams or oz)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think your confusion stems from the difference in fluid ounces (like 8 ounces of water in a cup) and ounces by weight. There is a HUGE difference as 1 cup, (or 8 FLUID ounces) of say rocks, will weigh much different than 1 cup of feathers.

If you see packages showing ounces, they always mean ounces of weight, unless it specifically says fluid ounces or fl oz.
    But if they say a cup, I would use a dry cup (what you'd use to measure out flour or sugar) to portion out the cooked product.
  • modernmom70
    Options
    Also a serving of pasta is way less than most people would imagine. It is actually quite small volume wise.
  • Hambone23
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and help. I really do appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The nutritional info is online at:
    http://www.buitoni.com/products/wild-mushroom-agnolotti.aspx#/riserva/wild-mushroom-agnolotti
    1 cup (109 g)
    Calories 280

Cups are the devil's measure. Use grams, it's just one button press on modern scales.

The label says 109 g is 280 calories. Thus 255 g will be 655 calories.