Chinese Buffet

Options
So I cannot get out of going and I was wondering what is the best thing to eat at the Chinese buffet?

Replies

• BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Look for anything that isn't deep fried!
    If a dish includes vegetables it's a plus.
    Watch out for those super sweet sugary sauces.
    Sometimes they have fruits in the dessert area?

Good luck!!!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Steamed veggies are good i think, any protein (chicken) that's not breaded and fried... it depends on what the place has. :)

Or you can just have any of your favorites in moderation, and do some extra exercise today. :)
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    CHINESE FOOD HAS TOO MUCH SODIUM AND FAT AVOID IT IF POSSIBLE
  • s00kied
    s00kied Posts: 3
    Options
    If they have the stir fry in the back that's what I would eat. A bunch of veg with chicken and shrmp. Otherwise there should be baked fish and salad.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    whatever you want and have a night off :smile:
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    whatever you want and have a night off :smile:

This^^^ I'd totally indulge. I rarely get to go out for Chinese food.

OR if you really want to be careful, have a big plate of veggies at the salad bar first with tons of water. Then eat your meal after this and stick to steamed dishes or dishes from the grill. A clear soup is low fat, but high in sodium, so you have to weigh what youd' rather have, and have fruit and a tiny dessert. Have fun! Now I want Chinese food, and it's 8am :/
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    White rice, chicken & broccoli, beef & broccoli, steamed veggies, peel & eat shrimp.
  • KirstenRLD
    Options
    have a day off and treat yourself, its not like you do this everyday :) i'm doing the same tomorrow.
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I take one day a month....that I don't count anything I eat. I had Chinese last Sunday. I LOVE it....But I did see that I was getting lots of vegs and shrimp. But I'm still a sucker for Lo Mein Noodles. So that was in my sights! Just couldn't eat as much as I use to! So just take a night off and enjoy! Stick with your vegs if they have a grill...they will steam them for you!
  • scottbad
    scottbad Posts: 33
    Options
    No. Never ever ever go to a Chinese buffet. Treat yourself to french fries, potato chips, ice cream, chocholate - never buffet, never ever chinese buffet. Don't reward yourself with food - that's a trap. But if you must - not chinese buffet. And what ever you do - stay under your daily calories. Period.
  • coahdan
    coahdan Posts: 19
    Options
    Ironically, I just hit my goal so I am going to the buffet to celebrate BIG TIME!

I've learned how to eat properly so 1 day of going all out might take 3 or 4 days to recover from... But it will be well worth it ;-)
  • Andy876
    Andy876 Posts: 3
    Options
    No. Never ever ever go to a Chinese buffet. Treat yourself to french fries, potato chips, ice cream, chocholate - never buffet, never ever chinese buffet. Don't reward yourself with food - that's a trap. But if you must - not chinese buffet.

Very good, made me chuckle.

I had Chinese last night. Delicious.
  • Kait1215
    Kait1215 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    my buffet has a Mongolian grill, so i get to pick exactly wat i eat, if you can, load up on veggies and shrimp and chicken :) just be careful and like other said stay away from anything deep fried or covered in sauce
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    My family usually hits the chinese buffet at least once a month. At first I tried logging it and keeping track, but I gave up. There are several generic chinese buttets in the database with varying calorie amounts. I picked one with 1200 calories and call it a day! I also work out extra on the morning that we are going to go. So far, it has not caused me to gain weight, as a matter of fact I have lost weight every week that we have gone. So go, enjoy, get back on track the next day. =)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    rice and veg, no fried foods or just enjoy! and don't count cals for one day. Make up for it for the whole week later and exercise more.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I basically combine the two most popular answers... Try to choose the best options with veggies and little sauce and/or rice and/or noodles BUT I'm also a foodie so if I see something really good, I'm going to go ahead and have it and enjoy myself. As long as it's not something you're doing regularly, there's no harm in treating yourself.