advice?

Options
Ok. It has been 2 weeks, which I know isn't long so i'm not complaining and don't want everyone saying just give it time it will happen, didn't happen over night, etc....just want advice on what I may be doing wrong. My food diary is open if anyone wants to look and sees something bad maybe? I drink a ton of water, don't always track it all. I am normally a few hundred under my daily calorie goal but not eating too little either. The scale is not moving...at all and i am frustrated. I know inches matter most but it would be nice to see the scale move some. I lost right away and then nothing. My boyfriend is following along with what I do but not tracking anything and he has lost 12 pounds. I'm happy for him but don"t get why it isn't moving for me. Isn't it supposed to be faster in the beginning?

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Let me be the first to say. You need to eat back most of your excercise calories! That is the best thing about excercise you get to eat more food!
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Do you think that would help speed up the weight loss a little?
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Ok. It has been 2 weeks, which I know isn't long so i'm not complaining and don't want everyone saying just give it time it will happen, didn't happen over night, etc....just want advice on what I may be doing wrong. My food diary is open if anyone wants to look and sees something bad maybe? I drink a ton of water, don't always track it all. I am normally a few hundred under my daily calorie goal but not eating too little either. The scale is not moving...at all and i am frustrated. I know inches matter most but it would be nice to see the scale move some. I lost right away and then nothing. My boyfriend is following along with what I do but not tracking anything and he has lost 12 pounds. I'm happy for him but don"t get why it isn't moving for me. Isn't it supposed to be faster in the beginning?

Are you feeling like you're starving yourself?

Even though this website already has a system of calculating how many calories you really need daily (depending on how long you want to lose weight/your goal). I still think it's important to calculate your BMR (Body Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

If you're eating below your BMR, it may be that you're not getting enough nutrients for your body to properly recover. Most people stay between their BMR and TDEE when they are trying to lose body fat.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    If you are not losing then that is probably why. You don't want speedy weight loss though, slow and steady wins the race and is the only way you will maintain your losses!
  • RachelVon
    RachelVon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Let me be the first to say. You need to eat back most of your excercise calories! That is the best thing about excercise you get to eat more food!

So true! I love working out for many reasons, one is I feel like I EARN more calories! I went from losing less than a lb a week to a whopping 3 lbs (dont know how with all the food i ate!) when I ate my exercise calories back!
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    I don't feel like i'm starving. I feel pretty content most days. I figured out my BMR and x 1.2 for a sedintary job and just reduced that by about 20%

Are you feeling like you're starving yourself?

Even though this website already has a system of calculating how many calories you really need daily (depending on how long you want to lose weight/your goal). I still think it's important to calculate your BMR (Body Metabolic Rate) and TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

If you're eating below your BMR, it may be that you're not getting enough nutrients for your body to properly recover. Most people stay between their BMR and TDEE when they are trying to lose body fat.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Isn't it supposed to be faster in the beginning?

First things first - you gotta get that out of your head. Beginning weight loss is different for everyone so you need to get that out of your mind. Youre expectations are going to be part of your problem....

Dont take this personally but from what I have observed universally in your food diary - you eat ALOT of prepackaged foods. Alot of your meals also contain high carbohydrate counts - particularly from foods that are prepackaged. Some of your sodium levels are not good...

When is the last time you actually cooked a fresh cooked meal, and not grabbed a bag of already-cooked frozen chicken from Walmart?

Try 'cleaning' up your intake with real foods, real vegetables and meats. Your sodium levels will greatly reduce and by ridding yourself of all the prepackaged foods and using real meats that you actually cook, vegetables you sautee/steam/stirfry/roast, you will have the benefits of much healthier meals that your body truly needs.
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    Ok I will try to start eating back most of my calories and see how it goes. It cant hurt to try. thanks!
  • Lukazetta
    Options

First things first - you gotta get that out of your head. Beginning weight loss is different for everyone so you need to get that out of your mind. Youre expectations are going to be part of your problem....

Dont take this personally but from what I have observed universally in your food diary - you eat ALOT of prepackaged foods. Alot of your meals also contain high carbohydrate counts - particularly from foods that are prepackaged. Some of your sodium levels are not good...

When is the last time you actually cooked a fresh cooked meal, and not grabbed a bag of already-cooked frozen chicken from Walmart?

Try 'cleaning' up your intake with real foods, real vegetables and meats. Your sodium levels will greatly reduce and by ridding yourself of all the prepackaged foods and using real meats that you actually cook, vegetables you sautee/steam/stirfry/roast, you will have the benefits of much healthier meals that your body truly needs.

^^^What they said too.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    here is a link to a TDEE calculator, they also have other ones on this site

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

I would say eat about 10 - 15% under your TDEE.
  • sjeagle30
    Options

Actually I havent been eating any pre packaged foods. I avoid smart ones, etc. The only frozen thing I eat is the pre cooked frozen grilled chicken breast because it is not high in sodium or calories. I stopped the frozen foods right away when i seen everyone else saying they are bad and have too much sodium. We cook light every night. turkery burger, brown noodles, talipai, grilled foods, etc.
  • cramernh
    Options

Actually I havent been eating any pre packaged foods. I avoid smart ones, etc. The only frozen thing I eat is the pre cooked frozen grilled chicken breast because it is not high in sodium or calories. I stopped the frozen foods right away when i seen everyone else saying they are bad and have too much sodium. We cook light every night. turkery burger, brown noodles, talipai, grilled foods, etc.

Based on the foods you logged in your diary... you have days where your sodium is high, your carbohydrates are high (coming from less-than desirable choices).... there are alot of name-brand this and name-brand that..... You really dont eat fresh at all...

Prepackaged foods isnt just frozen dinners.. its the Walmart cooked-frozen chicken (thats prepackaged), the Cheetos I saw posted several times, the Special K 'chips" posted several times... those are prepackaged foods.... and you do eat alot of them
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    Just wondering, why the very low carbs?
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    salads, fruit, veggies, etc. To me that is fresh. I am not a veggie fan but I am trying. I cant tell you the last time I warmed up a frozen dinner???
  • cramernh
    Options
    salads, fruit, veggies, etc. To me that is fresh. I am not a veggie fan but I am trying. I cant tell you the last time I warmed up a frozen dinner???

You need to re-read my post, I never said frozen dinner.....
  • sjeagle30
    Options

This is where I get so confused. The poster above you just said I am eating too many carbs. idk. I just have to keep at it and figure it out. I guess different things work for different people. Im first going to try to eat back my exercise calories and go from there. thanks everyone for the help, advice, etc.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I would eat back your exercise calories with protein rich foods, you carb and fat numbers look ok but protein is low ( based off general goals, I don't know your stats )
  • Lukazetta
    Options

This is where I get so confused. The poster above you just said I am eating too many carbs. idk. I just have to keep at it and figure it out. I guess different things work for different people. Im first going to try to eat back my exercise calories and go from there. thanks everyone for the help, advice, etc.

I only looked at one of your days in the diary. Your carb intake is fine actually imo, just one day had less than 80 carbs.
  • sjeagle30
    Options

You need to re-read my post, I never said frozen dinner.....

Well If I home cook a meal its fresh. Its just my lunch at work that is the chicken breast. I eat low fat string cheese and hard boiled eggs for snacks normally or special k cracker chips for the low calorie option, just made a fresh bowl of mixed fruit, bananas. Im just not seeing it.
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    I think i will buy some protine shakes and try that to eat back my exercise calories and kill 2 birds with one stone. or i will research higher protine foods that are not so high in fat.