Healthy Indian Food?

Options
Hi all! I think I will be trying Indian Food tonight for the first time tonight and I was wondering what some healthy options are that I should try? I am pretty open to anything (I love vegetables and chicken). Any suggestions?? :D

Replies

• You should be able to find some great stuff! Look for grilled items (tandoori chicken, etc.) that does not have a sauce. Read the menu carefully - most restaurants will also cater to your tastes as far as spice goes, and I know the one near me will reduce the amount of oil used if you ask. If you like veggies, try something like bindi masala (okra and mixed veggies sauteed) or aloo muttar gobi (peas, potatoes, and cauliflower). Hope you enjoy!
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    ^Yup, try and stay away from sauces. They are delicious but I believe also high in sodium.
    The hardest thing for me with Indian food is not eating too much rice, so be careful with that.
    Otherwise, Indian food is generally very healthy!
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh, I love Indian food. Be careful about the breads, though. 1/2 Naan can have 200 cals!
  • SquashedBanana
    SquashedBanana Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really like palak channa (spinach and chickpea curry). I made it on my own at home and was surprised by how healthy it is, the recipe I followed used almost all veggies and a little bit of yogurt to make it into a curry. However, if you're eating out, I'm not 100% sure how a restaurant would prepare it.
  • MamaSonyaP
    MamaSonyaP Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    stay away from Butter Chicken! Soooo tasty, but soooo fattening. If ever you want to make it, try the 'Eat, Shrink & Be Merry' version of 'Better Butter Chicken'.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Palak-Paneer curry (spinach+cottage cheese pieces) is a healthy choice.
    Also, Okra (bhindi) tastes yum.
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    great question. my boss is Indian and always brings homemade stuff from his mom in to work. So Yummy!!!

bump for another time to read all the answers.
  • mpeace1406
    mpeace1406 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions everyone!!! I am excited for dinner now :)