Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Food weight vs. volume: Eye openers!

SO I finally started using my food scale to get more accurate with my calorie count, and I really wish I'd done it sooner. It appears that when I've been guesstimating I've been ridiculously off. Especially when it comes to, say, fruit. I'll choose a size of apple from the options (ie. small, or medium, 3", etc.) and enter that, but in reality when I weigh the apple the calories are more. My biggest eye opener so far was with strawberries. I've been entering the 1/2 cup of strawberry halves, but boy can I pack a measuring cup with strawberries! If there was a Strawberry Tetris Championship I would win it. I was probably actually eating more than a cup, not a half-cup. It's only my second day of using the scale, so I'm sure I'll have more "doh!" moments to come.

What have been your "eye-openers" since using the scale? Foods that you used to eyeball or measure and are now weighing because you were way off on the actual calories?!

x

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Bread often weighs more per slice than it says on the package. So I always weigh the bread to make sure.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    an ounce of cheese is rather small
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    definitely apples and pears! I guess we just have really big apples lol I don't know what is considered medium.

Also we buy the "green D'anjou pears" from Costco that say 166 grams is a pear and they are 100 calories. When I weigh them they are about 260 grams so calorie-wise more like 160 calories....
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    LOL at strawberry Tetris!

I was actually happy to find out how big an ounce of dark chocolate was. I refuse to deny myself dark chocolate! :love:
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    In Weight Watchers fruits and veg have no points - they are "free" foods & can be eaten freely, regardless of size - with a few exeptions like bananas and avocados.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member
    Pasta! 2 ounces of whole wheat spaghetti is a fairly small amount.

My food scale is indispensable to achieving my weight loss goals. Love it!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    I started weighing things a little over a week ago. I've found differences in cottage cheese, orange juice, protein powder and a few other. It's been really interesting.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,380 Member
    Meat, shredded cheese, and dry cereal were all huge eye-openers for me. I was WAY off on the 'serving size' for those items.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    In Weight Watchers fruits and veg have no points - they are "free" foods & can be eaten freely, regardless of size - with a few exeptions like bananas and avocados.
    Wha?! That seems wacky to me.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    I've never focused much on fruits like apples or oranges. Maybe I should. My biggest eye opener was the tablespoon. Sometimes I'd completely overdo it, and sometimes I'd completely under do it. And overdoing a tablespoon of peanut butter is a major calorie bump. Oils too. I also had no idea how big a serving of salad greens could be. I needed a big bowl--a really big bowl--to eat my salad the other day. I was stuffed with just the greens and a low-cal dressing. Who knew? Then there was butter and cheese. Because I was on a "diet," I thought I was allowed far less than I could actually have. That's like finding a fiver in your pocket. So I've had eye opening experiences that were both positive and negative. I can't imagine not using a scale anymore. Even my boyfriend says, "You know, that's one thing you are really consistent about." Yeah, because it makes all the difference now.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    HOW MUCH DOES DELI MEAT WEIGH? I have no idea. I just say 2 ounces, but I really don't know how much a "typical" slice of deli turkey/ham/chicken weighs. I'm losing weight fine, but I do wonder if I'm lying when i enter the deli meat each day.
  • I weigh everything and have done since I started eating healthier. It's SUCH a big help. My biggest eye opener has been cereal - I have 27g of Bran Flakes every morning and when I first started doing this I was SHOCKED at how little that was compared to what I used to have! I was sceptical but 27g is just enough to stop me from being hungry til lunch, so I really didn't need to have so much anyway!
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Got used to use the scale.... not the most precise but defi itely gives an idea..... might upgrade for a digital one someday :-)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    cheese was the biggest happy surprise for me. I was told 1 oz of cheese looks like a pair of dice. When I weigh out an ounce, it looks much bigger than any dice I have used :)

Also, I was pleasantly surprised how much 3 ounces of linguine is. I had been way underserving myself on pasta.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    I weigh everything and have done since I started eating healthier. It's SUCH a big help. My biggest eye opener has been cereal - I have 27g of Bran Flakes every morning and when I first started doing this I was SHOCKED at how little that was compared to what I used to have! I was sceptical but 27g is just enough to stop me from being hungry til lunch, so I really didn't need to have so much anyway!

This. About the cereal. Having a "bowl" of cereal was like actually having 3 servings of cereal. Crazy what you learn.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Wha?! That seems wacky to me.

The free fruit and veggie is incorporated into to the points allowance. And it is not a free for all, it is free because it is assumed you will only eat the recommended daily allowance. When I did weight watchers only veggies was free, when they switched to free fruit alot of people actually started gaining weight because they saw it as a free for all.
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    I don't worry so much about weighing fruit. I weigh meat. Chicken and fish mostly. I was over estimating the fish which means I can have more. The only thing I wonder about is raw and cooked. It's all a best estimate on most of it anyway. Oh and I weigh my home fries. That way I know how much I can have and its a lot really. I just cut up a potato, spray it with canola oil Pam, a very little salt and pepper and roast on a sheet pan in the oven. So yummy.
  • kimiec
    kimiec Posts: 62
    Most of the time the only thing I use my scale for is meat because to eye ball a 4oz hamburgh is just way to hard I always want mine to be bigger. But I have weight other thing but I don't want to have to weigh every little thing I eat and to be honest everything is an estimated there isn't a food out there you will find that will be dead on. So if you want the whole picture weight everything.
  • Monkee8088
    Monkee8088 Posts: 143
    Got used to use the scale.... not the most precise but defi itely gives an idea..... might upgrade for a digital one someday :-)

digital scales are awesome, and fun to play with!!
  • I have found that I consume much more sodium than i had thought. It is hidden everywhere and adds up big time even if you don't reach for the salt shaker.