chewing gum burns fat

Options
So, I work 45 hours a week in an office with no windows.... I tend to get bored and thus I think about how hungry I think I am. Recently, I started chewing gum every moment I am not eating at work. I feel like its common knowledge but just the chewing sensation tricks my body into thinking I'm "snacking". Obviously, I chew sugar free gum.. Thought this would be a fun little topic to share with everyone! Here's an atricle that backs this up! http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/foodcourt11.html

"The results from this study indicate that chewing sugar-free gum at 100 chews per minute will raise the metabolic rate by approximately 20%, and someone chewing gum all-day can burn off an equivalent of 11 pounds of a year."

Replies

• StephL0711
    StephL0711 Posts: 141
    Options
    that is awesome!! i chew gum whenever i start feeling hungry like right after a snack but still got like an hour to go before the next meal. its even better im actually burning off some calories!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Now if it was chewing gum 100 times for 1 minute, that would be something.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    LOL I just chewed gum 100 times in a minute and I felt like a squirrel!
  • desireedare
    Options

thanks for making me laugh out loud!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    This is a great example of using study results to paint a misleading picture (the author of the article).

First: the rate of gum-chewing: 100 chews per minute.

Try it. I doubt that anyone would feel comfortable doing it for an hour. They didn't do it in the study. They chewed gum for 12 minutes. While that supposedly increased the hourly calorie expenditure from 58 to 70 calories an hour, since they only did it for 12 minutes, it was really only an increase of 2-3 calories total.

The conclusion that you could lose 11 pounds of fat in a year requires that you chew the gum at 100 chews/min 1 hour each and every day for a year.

Oh, and control absolutely everything else in your lifestyle, so those extra gum-chewing calories represent a true loss.

Again, try chewing gum at 100 times per minute, and tell me how you would incorporate that into your lifestyle. You couldn't talk while you were doing it. In most places you couldn't do it while you work, because you look really foolish. OK, maybe driving to work -- but I've tried that and I can tell it doesn't do a bit of good.

Me, if I am going to find an extra hour in my day, I'd rather spend it exercising.
  • desireedare
    Options
    This is a great example of using study results to paint a misleading picture (the author of the article).

First: the rate of gum-chewing: 100 chews per minute.

Try it. I doubt that anyone would feel comfortable doing it for an hour. They didn't do it in the study. They chewed gum for 12 minutes. While that supposedly increased the hourly calorie expenditure from 58 to 70 calories an hour, since they only did it for 12 minutes, it was really only an increase of 2-3 calories total.

The conclusion that you could lose 11 pounds of fat in a year requires that you chew the gum at 100 chews/min 1 hour each and every day for a year.

Oh, and control absolutely everything else in your lifestyle, so those extra gum-chewing calories represent a true loss.

Again, try chewing gum at 100 times per minute, and tell me how you would incorporate that into your lifestyle. You couldn't talk while you were doing it. In most places you couldn't do it while you work, because you look really foolish. OK, maybe driving to work -- but I've tried that and I can tell it doesn't do a bit of good.

Me, if I am going to find an extra hour in my day, I'd rather spend it exercising.

like i said, i was bored at work and was saying that i find that it helps my need to snack. if you go look at my progress post, you can see that I know what i'm doing. I, and the other people who posted on this, can clearly laugh and joke about this (hence the squirrel comment). Please go take your serious comments elsewhere. I work 45 hours a week, go to school 24 hours a week, manage to do an internship, and still go to the gym 6 days a week and I am training for my first fitness competition. Thanks but no thanks for the feedback.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    like i said, i was bored at work and was saying that i find that it helps my need to snack. if you go look at my progress post, you can see that I know what i'm doing. I, and the other people who posted on this, can clearly laugh and joke about this (hence the squirrel comment). Please go take your serious comments elsewhere. I work 45 hours a week, go to school 24 hours a week, manage to do an internship, and still go to the gym 6 days a week and I am training for my first fitness competition. Thanks but no thanks for the feedback.

The chit-chat forum is over there -->.

This is the general diet and weight loss help forum. Telling someone to "take their facts elsewhere" when they post a serious response to your article is, well.. we both know what it is, but I don't want to get banned for saying it.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump for later. i love this
  • amoslionhorse
    Options

thanks for making me laugh out loud!

me too! too funny!
  • badapdos
    badapdos Posts: 132
    Options
    It does burn fat, but if you change your gum constantly you might be consuming more calories than you are burning... so I'd recommend getting a long lasting flavor c:
  • farm_mamaX9
    Options
    "Chewing gum is really gross, chewing gum I hate the most." ~ Willy Wonka :tongue:
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    YAY! I love chewing gum.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I should do this. I want my jaw muscles to be ripped, dammit, ripped!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    "Chewing gum is really gross, chewing gum I hate the most." ~ Willy Wonka :tongue:

lol

makes me hungry anyway :)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Ha! Jaws of steel!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    YAY, i'm not alone. I am addicted to Trident Cinnamon gum, I literally chew an 18 pack a day. Same as you, very boring office work during the day and co-workers who celebrate every event with food. I could care less if it's unattractive as them munching on junk all day turns my stomach as well. I hate though, that even though its sugar free it still has calories and lots of carbs. Was going to try to get over my addiction but maybe it's not such a bad thing.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Low cal gum lol.... Kill 2 birds with one stone!! Rock Star gum FTW!! no need for the morning coffee
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options

That made me laugh out loud. Thank you!
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    excuse me, i have to go buy some gum. 20% wow!
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum is also great for GERD because it bathes the esophagus constantly in saliva, neutralizing the acid. Chew it for an hour after every meal to feel its effect.

However, I take bubblegum. I refuse to chew anything that has aspartame in it. I'd rather brush more often than take something that causes cancer. Ditto for saccharin.

And regular gum is starting to be very had to find, because the demand for aspartame is so strong. Advertising is SO bad for you.