Yay or Nah???
Do or Don't???
Yes or No???

What do you think? Should we do it??

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that is just part of normal activity in daily life...so no I wouldn't.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. I know that I personally don't work up a sweat or have any increase in heart rate while preparing my food. If this were back in the day when we would have been chasing down, butchering and cooking our own food then yes...yes I would log it haha. But I am pretty sure I don't burn many calories chopping my veggies and popping meat in the oven.
  • Larry0445
    Larry0445 Posts: 232
    Options
    This is a joke,right???? ;-(
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I really break a sweat preparing dinner. Whew!
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I were doing food prep for Thanksgiving for 25 people and it took all day, yeah, I might. That said... food prep is kind of like every day living and not "exercise" just like walking around my house isn't.
  • Kateraptor
    Options
    Not unless I'm doing the Time Warp while cooking.
    I don't log any cleaning, bathing, cooking or basically "maintenance" type stuff in my log.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends... Are you including hunting and butchering a bison? Then yes. But overall... I'd say no.

However, undereating is a problem on here, and if logging an hour of food prep makes someone eat 1300 rather than 1200, then it's probably a good thing.
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you're going to log food preparation then I'm going to log every time I walk to the bathroom and pee. And whenever I have to pick up my shoes to put them on. And when I towel dry after a shower.
  • abbezen
    abbezen Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ummmm, no.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I once boned a shoulder of lamb. Took me well over an hour and my arms were still aching the next day, so yes, I logged that.
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I log it as 'cooking' when I expo at work. I'm in a hot kitchen and moving my a**, carry trays etc. I do not log making dinner for my hubby or breakfast prep or anything though :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Yay or Nah???
    Do or Don't???
    Yes or No???

What do you think? Should we do it??

Not really, what would be the calories burned do you think?
  • Di3012
    Options
    I once boned a shoulder of lamb. Took me well over an hour and my arms were still aching the next day, so yes, I logged that.

how did you decide on the calories burned?
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

how did you decide on the calories burned?

I actually can't remember, I may have decided upon a conservative time based upon what I know I burn in a moderate activity, or I may have logged it as per MFP and not eaten all of those calories back. I'd never done it before, if I'd realised I was going to feel that knackered, I'd've worn my HRM!
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I thought it was bad enough that people log light housecleaning as exercise, but food preparation....REALLY?!
  • BexxaJane
    Options
    I've noticed some people on my friends list are logging food prep in as exercise!
    As I'm still quite new to MFP I wasn't sure what to make of it!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Not unless I'm doing the Time Warp while cooking.
    I don't log any cleaning, bathing, cooking or basically "maintenance" type stuff in my log.

I have done that before..I always cook and clean with Music and RHPS is one of my fave sound tracks, so there are times I time warp while cooking.lol
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    If Im in the kitchen all day making freezer meals and cooking for the day and on my feel and everything then yes I log it. Same thing with cleaning. I don't usually log any cleaning unless it was a day of cleaning and I was on my hands and knees and things like that scrubbin stuff down, then I'll log, but not just cooking dinner or cleaning up from the day.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I've noticed some people on my friends list are logging food prep in as exercise!
    As I'm still quite new to MFP I wasn't sure what to make of it!

Do yourself a massive favour and don't log it. If you try to eat back such calories, all you will be doing will be fooling yourself because preparing food is not what is termed as exercise. You will actually end up going over your calorie allowance.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Only if it's somehow more strenuous than what you would be doing otherwise. It's only the difference between what you do and what you normally do that counts. So walking instead of sitting uses calories, but standing in the kitchen instead of standing at a cash register at work doesn't.