what's better cardio or strength?

Since I've started working out I'm losing less weight and I don't like that. So here's my question, I have great muscle strength and tone UNDER my layer of fat. I don't really want to gain anymore muscle I just want to get rid of the fat that hides it, so should I continue doing both cardio and strength training everyday or can I just do the cardio to melt the fat. I was just wondering because it seems like since muscle weights more than fat and I already have good muscle tone under the fat I should focus on burning the fat. Any suggestions please? Thanks for helping me and happy Monday everyone!!:wink:

Replies

• Since I've started working out I'm losing less weight and I don't like that. So here's my question, I have great muscle strength and tone UNDER my layer of fat. I don't really want to gain anymore muscle I just want to get rid of the fat that hides it, so should I continue doing both cardio and strength training everyday or can I just do the cardio to melt the fat. I was just wondering because it seems like since muscle weights more than fat and I already have good muscle tone under the fat I should focus on burning the fat. Any suggestions please? Thanks for helping me and happy Monday everyone!!:wink:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Eat leaner,
    and do 1 day cardio,
    one day strength.
    next day cardio
    next day strength.
    If you do not use it you will lose that muscle that you like, so when you do your day of strength training, lower the weights, but keep the workout. If you are not on Roids you are not going to get much bigger anyway. I know that this is a fear of women that they are going to look like an amazon.
    But this is not going to happen unless you work to make it happen. IE: adding weight each week.
    BTW Muscle burns fat, so you do not want to LOSE that muscle or you will not lose the fat!
    --Diann...
  • Then do alot walking on the treadmill , set on fat burning and you will get results within a month . serious. I did 15 lbs in 2 weeks
  • A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.(1 pound = 1 pound) However, a pound of muscle takes up less space (imagine a pound of bricks) than a pound of fat (imagine a pound of feathers) AND muscle burns calories just by being there (around 40 calories per day)...as opposed to fat which just sits around being fat (and only burns about 2 calories per day)! So, the more muscle you have (not even body-building type - just "regular-people" type), you become a more efficient, caloire-burning machine! Don't give up!!!
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat.(1 pound = 1 pound) However, a pound of muscle takes up less space (imagine a pound of bricks) than a pound of fat (imagine a pound of feathers) AND muscle burns calories just by being there (around 40 calories per day)...as opposed to fat which just sits around being fat (and only burns about 2 calories per day)! So, the more muscle you have (not even body-building type - just "regular-people" type), you become a more efficient, caloire-burning machine! Don't give up!!!

If a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat - why do people always say "Muscle weighs more than fat!!!" ??? Just curious....
  • A pound is a pound no matter how you look at it. A pound of muscle is denser than a pound of fat therefore doesn't take up the same amount of room on your body. No matter how you look at it though a pound is a pound even if it was feathers
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    OK Here is the pudding story to clear it up.
    Imagine if you will a brick and lets say that brick weighs 1 pound.
    NOW take a vat and start filling it with pudding until you get to one pound. THAT IS A LOT OF PUDDING!
    Muscle is the brick.
    Fat is the pudding.
    Yes I know that people say that muscle weighs more then fat, but that is not true, Muscle is compact where fat is not.
    In fact if you had that vat of fat in front of you it would look like vanillia pudding. :sick: Gross I know, but just to give you a visual.
    --Diann...
  • thanks so much guys. That all really helped me, just another reason why I LOVE this website. I'll keep up the strength thing I guess I just need to come up with some other exercises because I really don't like what I've been doing and that makes it hard to do it:grumble: Another thing is the lady on the dvd that I do for strength training is really bulky- exactly what I don't want so that makes it hard. If anyone has any suggestions for weight stuff I can do at home without having to go out and buy lots of stuff, I'm all ears. Thanks again.
    default Posts: 124 Member
    Muscle weighs more then fat, but the misconception that it burns 40 calories/ lb is wrong, muscle burns approx 7 calories/day/pound. The best way to burn fat and build lean muscle is simple.

eat breakfast.. avoid an insulin spike early in the morning that will slow down your metabolism
    watch your food..simple, eat veggies, milk, low fat content meats..avoid junk food/sugar/cheese
    do cardio 3X a week
    stregth train 1-2, do SQUATS, pullup, bench press...avoid machines at all costs, use free weights
    take up kickboxing..boxing..martial arts, when kickboxing or boxing do 3 minute rounds followed by 30 seconds rest, do this 8-10 times...learn to kick + punch first before jumping into this or you'll injure yourself, also get good protective gear
    stretch and get more flexible

avoid soft drinks!!!

reward yourself once a week, don't overdo it though

cheers :drinker:
  • The differences in opinion about muscle versus fat amazes me, and even more so, the proper way to lose fat. By volume, muscle weighs more than fat. The more muscle you have on your body the more fat your body will burn. When you engage in a regimen of strength training and/or aerobics, you will gain weight. Rest assured that if you're also engaged in healthy eating habits, the weight gain will be in the form of added muscle. This is a good thing! The added muscle results in higher metabolism 24/7. The weight will begin to drop. A steady and slight decrease in weight is healthy. Some of the best things you can put in your body is Almonds and other nuts, not peanuts, Beans and other Legumes, Spinach and green veggies, Low fat and fat free Dairy products, Instant Oatmeal, Turkey and other lean meats, All Natural Peanut Butter, Eggs, Whole Grain Breads and cereal, Whey Protein and Berries. Olive Oil is another good one. This information comes from a top notch fitness expert. Apples, Bananas, Citrus fruits, Garlic, and Sweet Potatoes are very good as well. One addition I make to these choices is Coconut Oil. Coconut Oil is a Medium Chain Triglyceride (MCT) and may actually help in weight loss. Try to eat several small meals throughout the day and never let yourself get hungry. This doesn't mean eat a ton of food and be stuffed all day. As far as Cardio and/or strength, use both at a pace that does not cause over training or injury. I suggest at least 20 minutes of Cardio every day. Elliptical Traininers and Ski machines are very easy on the joints and lower back and burn sufficient amounts of calories. Listen to your body and you'll know if you need to take a day off. The same goes with strength training. A four day cycle to work all your body parts works well. Take the fifth day off and resume the cycle the following day. Whatever you do, try to add Squats of some form to your regimen on leg days. Make sure you use proper form to avoid lower back injuries. Start light and get the form right then move up slowly from there. I totally disagree with avoiding machines at all costs. Most machines are ergonomically designed and should move your limbs and joints through a smooth range of motion. Your body will let you know if something isn't right. Always make sure you're familiar with the machine by knowing the proper seat positions and so forth. Machines aren't for everyone and neither are free weights. Mostly, I use free weights, but there are some exercises that only make sense on a machine.
  • I am having the same problem.

So I should do one day strictly carido and one day strictly strength training and repete ect ect?

<3
    default Posts: 124 Member
    machines vs free weights.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/strengthening/a/aa050702a.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keats1.htm
    http://www.bodytrends.com/articles/strength/machinesvs.htm

basically if you're new to lifting, try machines and free weights. but machines build strength in only one direction, they use no stabilizer or recruit any other muscle groups, and many of them cause undo stress on joints.

With strength training, a variety of tools is often the best way to get an effective workout. When choosing your own resistance, consider the following:

If you're a beginner: stick with machines until you feel more comfortable with the movements.
    If you're in a hurry: go with machines. Workouts are generally more time-efficient when machines are used. If you have to wait in line, however, choose free weights.
    If you're working out at home: stick with free weights. Machines are expensive, take up a lot of room and offer limited exercises. Free weights are cheaper, versatile and take up less room.
    If you're rehabbing an injury: stick with machines since they offer the most support, but always follow your doctor/physical therapist's advice.
    If you hate lifting weight: you might find machines are easiest to use.

*To get the most out of each workout in the fastest possible time: stick with free weights. You can incorporate more muscle groups at the same time. *
  • cardio is better alot of machines have fat burn on it.... and muscle does weigh more than fat. continue lifting to keep your self toned though just do more reps and less weight.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    I'm a preschool teacher and work with kids in lots of settings. In about third grade, they start sharing this joke: "Which weighs more, a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers?" Most kids will say the ton of bricks but the actual answer is: " They both weigh the same, but you'll have a lot more feathers." HA HA HA
    That being said, the answer here is that the saying does come from comparing the volume. A cup of bricks will weigh more than a cup of feathers, so a cup of muscle weighs more than a cup of fat, a pound of muscle will weigh the same as a pound of fat, but you'll have a lot more fat.