Not sure how much strength training...

I started dieting on New Years and have since lost 33 pounds, mostly from watching calories, cutting out fast food and soda. Now I am at a standstill and don't really know where to start to get the pounds dropping again. I heard that strength training works because it builds muscle which burns more calories than fat, but I do not know what strength training to do or for how long every single day (or if it is supposed to be every day). Any advice would really help. Thanks.

Replies

• Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    I haven't used it personally but a lot of people on here swear by the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women." I've also read about stronglifts 5 x 5.

The book explains everything, but I don't know what the plan is in it. You don't want to work the same muscle group(s) every day. You'll need to rest your muscles in order to give the fibers time to heal.

I used to lift years ago and loved it. I highly recommend it. Not only does it help you burn more calories, it also builds your self-confidence.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    3 nonconsecutive days a week. I'm biased on what kind of strength training to do. Just make sure you're progressively adding resistance (usually weight) as you get stronger. If you're not fatiguing your muscles, you're not going to get the results.