sweet potatoes

Options
Hi there,

I am new on here and I am always hearing people talking about sweet potatoes and how they are the healthy option... any thoughts for different ways to cook them and season them as well.

Thanks people :happy:

Replies

• amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I like cutting them up in french fry size, tossing them with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper (or italian seasoning), and baking them in the oven. Sweet potato fries!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    In the order of what I like best, to least:

Fried - chopped in pieces. I usually don't use oil or butter, but a bit of olive oil does make it better.
    Baked - chopped like french fries
    Baked - whole without anything extra
    Boiled - usually mashed

When I have them they are either as a side dish of their own or (usually) I mix them with squash, paprika and broccoli (and which ever other veggies I like).
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I like cutting them up in french fry size, tossing them with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper (or italian seasoning), and baking them in the oven. Sweet potato fries!

my favourite!! I sometimes put some ground up rosemary in with the salt and olive oil.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Also heard that you can do that with butternut squash for a milder flavour and less calories? Don't know how true that is. Less starch I think?
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like them baked and topped with a tablespoon or two of chopped walnuts.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Mash them with some dried rosemary
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I love them just baked with butter, or in fry format, but if you're looking for a new twist on breakfast, these are pretty excellent. A serving works out to about 4 pancakes, depending on size. I entered the ingredients as a recipe, and MFP calculates around 370 calories per serving (for just the pancakes, not the pecan butter, etc):

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/40-a-day/sweet-potato-pancakes-recipe/index.html
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes! My favorite way is just to throw one in the microwave and then cut it up and put a couple teaspoons of brown sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. It's almost like dessert! Yum!
  • brooklynjade4
    brooklynjade4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had one for my Tea about an hour ago ( check out my blog to see it!) I had it BAKED and with a tagine of Chickpeas and black eyed beans. Yummmmmilicious! Nice Post Run Meal!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love them baked...with sour cream, black beans and salsa...soooo yummy!! They are great paired with black beans!!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes! My favorite way is just to throw one in the microwave and then cut it up and put a couple teaspoons of brown sugar and a generous sprinkling of cinnamon. It's almost like dessert! Yum!
    Oo this sounds yum
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bung em in the microwave with cottage cheese nom nom nom but sooo pinching idea's from here though :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • cuddlybear30
    Options
    Thanks guys....... will try those out..... will start with the microwave one at work.... we have tattie tuesday so I'll try the sweet potato recipie with some cottage cheese to begin with.... I'll let you know how it goes. :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • zippitydodas
    Options
    Have you ever tried layering sliced sweet potatoes and sauted leeks with thyme and Jamaican spice?
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

^ This, plus some ground ginger, cinnamon and cumin. NOM!
    Have you ever tried layering sliced sweet potatoes and sauted leeks with thyme and Jamaican spice?

^ Wow I have to try this!

- - -

ETA: You can also do an Asian-influenced mash w/ a dash of sesame oil, sesame seeds.
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I heard that you cam cut them really thin like potato chips. Spray them with cooking spray and bake them in the microwave till they are crisp they are really good. I haven't tried them like this but I do regular potatoes this way and then add Mrs Dash for seasoning. I don't see why you couldn't do the same for crispy sweet potato chips.
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is my fave sweet potato recipe:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/addictive-sweet-potato-burritos/
    I nix the oil for spray instead, use black beans instead of kidney, less cheese and whole wheat tortillas. The best thing is u can wrap in paper towel, stick put it in sandwich bag, and throw in the freezer for nuking on future lunch breaks.