How calories become fat.

Options
I was discussing this topic with a friend today at lunch, specifically-how long does it take for extra calories to become fat.

I found the anwer, but it is a little long to paste here so here is the link:

http://www.supplecity.com/articles/howcaloriesbecomefat.htm

IF this article is correct, it is possible for food calories to turn into fat before you get up from the dinner table! Very interesting I thought and answers the question of why it is important to have 6 small meals instead of 3 large meals even if the total calories are exactly the same.

Replies

• cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Essentially the article is correct. It's a good one, I like it.

Although, I disagree about fruit having a quick conversion rate and spiking blood sugar, it's been clincally proven that fructose in it's natural state (I.E. IN fruits) aren't taken into the blood sugar anywhere near as fast as sucrose (table sugar). That isn't to say that too much fruit isn't bad. It just means that whole fruits (especially with the skin) have much of their sugar locked up in the fiber of the fruit, and take longer to digest, and fructose is digested by a different process then sucrose (a slightly more involved process). JUICE on the other hand, very bad stuff, basically take all the sugar, and some of the vitamins and minerals, and take away the fiber, it's basically concentrated sugar and some other stuff thrown in.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I'm marking this so I can read it later.

Banks, your input is great. I knew there was a reason I don't drink orange juice!
  • krhbutte
    krhbutte Posts: 246
    Options
    tagging!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm marking this so I can read it later.

Banks, your input is great. I knew there was a reason I don't drink orange juice!

Why thank you! Hey you can drink OJ, just don't drink a big ole 16 oz glass of it. You know those tiny 4 oz shot glasses they give you when you go to a breakfast buffet? That's the actual correct serving size for most juices. Not worth the calories IMHO, but if you like it, 1 serving won't kill ya.