Runners, Walkers, Joggers

Options
2»

Replies

• Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're using the right type of shoes? If you can, you should definitely get to a running store where they can analyze your step/stride and recommend the best possible pair.
    Also, are you stretching before you go?
    One last thing: SLOW DOWN. You may feel fine cardiovascularly but your legs may have some catching up to do. Speed will come with time :)

^^^ this. Please get fitted for shoes. Also try smaller distances until ur legs get stronger.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to run with regular jogging sneakers and my calves did bother me alot. Now I wear the Sketcher ShapeUps xtended fitness which I have found to relieve my calf pain. Probably a good idea for you to get checked by your doctor too to make sure all is fine for running.

Hmmmmm Sketchers Shape Ups gave me my shin splints :/ I guess my legs are just different?
  • Ms_Jelly
    Ms_Jelly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me several weeks ago - thought I would be able to pick up where I left off several years and two illnesses ago. Did a one mile run/walk including hills, and I got the same problem, my calves were intensly painful and completely locked up, just half way round. The pain was intense, and I thought I might have done some real damage, and worried I had got shin splints.
    Long story, but I had to rest my legs for a week, and did some gentle calf stretches, and ankle rotations. As the week went on, pain actually got worse and seemed to settle in my knees. It was inflamation (ligaments felt fine) in my knee joints, and the soreness was even, so applied ice pack for 30 minutes every day. (which was lovely, don't forget to put a cloth between packet of peas and your skin !). Spoke to Oncologist (as I had appointment that week) - she advised that I had done too much, too quickly (which I think I knew), to rest until legs went back to normal, then do gentle walking, get some more weight off and swim/gentle bike riding to build leg muscle up before doing any weight bearing exercise.
    I am desperate to get back to running too - I need that feeling ! However, I don't want to set myself up for any more set backs. So I am going to be patient, and will start jogging when I feel my body can cope with it.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Do you think it might be shin splints? I used to get them and the pain would range between feeling like someone had hit my shins with a hammer, or that there was a knife in my leg.

^^This
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think you should slowly warm up first and then get a good stretch session (focusing on the calves especially) in before you take off for a jog. Also, you might want to reevaluate your footstrike. My introduction to fitness was in basic training and the Drill Sergeants told us to run, striking with our heel first. Well, I had shin splints and knee/hip pain like crazy. A few years ago I got back on the running wagon, and I found that if I land on the balls of my feet, it helps so much. If my calves start to bother me I stock up on bananas and it helps too :)