Why didn't I think of this? Hubby is a genius!

Options
Sometimes I don't want oatmeal AND a protein shake for breakfast if I do a hard workout in the morning, so I usually forego the protein shake and just have my oatmeal.

So what do I see hubby do the other morning?

Put a scoop of protein powder INTO his oatmeal!!!

Derrr...

Maybe everyone does this - who knows. All I know is, I can't believe I never thought of this. It was DELISH!

Figured I'd share in case someone else was in the same quandary as I was and didn't figure out to do this!

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i do this often :D i usually only use a half scoop to a serving of oatmeal, other wise the texture is weird to me...but i <3 chocolate protein powder, with some dried or shredded coconut in my oatmeal!
    i do the same with cream of wheat :)
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't use the entire scoop in mine but I love it! Best of both worlds :) It's fun trying different protein flavors with fruits too if you want to get creative with it. Enjoy!

--
    Follow my FB Fitness Page!
    Be stronger than your excuses: Recipes and inspiration for a healthier life
    www.facebook.com/excusesareeasy
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've done this before too! It's good. :)
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have;

Half a cup of oats, uncooked
    1 cup of milk mixed with 2/3 scoop of protein shake
    1 banana chopped up
    30gm of sultanas.

Believe me - BEST BREAKFAST EVER.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is the way I eat my oatmeal every morning. I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, cinnamon and a touch of vanilla extract. Sometimes I add chocolate protein powder instead, but I prefer vanilla.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Yup, that's a good one. I use oatmeal, 1/2 scoop of Chocolate protein powder & a handful of blueberries. Good stuff.
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Me too. chocolate peanut butter powder, cinnamon, flax seed, oatmeal and coconut, yuuuuuummmmmm
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Or you can add .5cups of egg whites in your oatmeal during the last 45 seconds of cooking (assuming microwave).
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Even better??

Protein Pancakes! :) I make these on a regular basis and looooOOOooove them. Lots of room to tweak to your preferences, too!

Mix the following ingredients in a bowl until it makes pancake batter-like consistency:

1/4 cup oatmeal
    1 whole egg
    3-4 egg whites
    1 scoop Vanilla protein powder (about 30g of powder)
    half a chopped apple
    a dash of cinnamon
    couple chocolate chips if you're feeling naughty

Pour the mixture into a fry pan and cook on medium until one side is lightly browned.
    Flip it over until the other side is done.

Calories: 342
    Protein: 39g
    Carbs: 28g
    Fats: 7g

** I add 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt and 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter as a spread on top for added protein, to come in around 50 grams.
  • ClascyParra
    Options
    Even better??

Protein Pancakes! :) I make these on a regular basis and looooOOOooove them. Lots of room to tweak to your preferences, too!

Mix the following ingredients in a bowl until it makes pancake batter-like consistency:

1/4 cup oatmeal
    1 whole egg
    3-4 egg whites
    half a chopped apple
    a dash of cinnamon

Pour the mixture into a fry pan and cook on medium until one side is lightly browned.

** I add 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt and 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter as a spread on top for added protein, to come in around 50 grams.

I do just the oats, protein and egg whites...on the weekends I like to do this with pure pumpkin and pumpkin spice ITS DELISH!!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    It's great to do that or you can do the reverse and add oatmeal to your protein shake. I often add ground flax seed too.

I have made savory oatmeal with cheese & egg but it's tricky to get it right.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I started doing that a few months ago and love it! I just usually put about a fourth of a scoop in there, but it does start me off well in the morning. =)
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm all these posts sound delicious!! Def gonna try a few of them :)
  • slightlycrunchy
    slightlycrunchy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's delicious!
  • MissSifaka
    MissSifaka Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness! This will be happening tomorrow, thanks!
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    some people mix it in with their porridge too,
    thought this was a no brainer lol,,,, me and your hubby must be on the same wave length.
  • joec63
    joec63 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Something else good to add to oatmeal and protein shakes. PB2 , powdered peanut butter. lot less calories and fat than the jar PB. Good stuff.
  • WittneeT29
    WittneeT29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Even better??

1/4 cup oatmeal
    1 whole egg
    3-4 egg whites
    half a chopped apple
    a dash of cinnamon

I do just the oats, protein and egg whites...on the weekends I like to do this with pure pumpkin and pumpkin spice ITS DELISH!!!

I do this too! I just use oats, protein, egg whites... but I sometimes throw in low calorie powdered sweetener, such as the little Propel packets for water. One or two of those and my pancakes taste like muffins!!

My husband prefers apple sauce in his, but I love my Propel flavoring!
  • theNurseNancy
    Options
    Make an oatmeal shake flavored with the protein powder :]

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/09/avena-healthy-oatmeal-shake.html
  • kkrondon
    kkrondon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do it too. In fact I add both protein powder and ground flaxseeds to my oatmeal.