Shirataki noodles with REAL tasting light alfredo sauce

Options
lisapisa81
lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
there have been some posts about shirataki noodles and i finally got a chance to try them last night. the noodles were so lo cal i was able to splurge on the sauce a little bit...it is still lighter than actual alfredo sauce but it tastes authentic! i was so impressed with it i had to post it...i'll be making this for my hubby when he gets back from business travel!

note - this recipe is exactly how i made it...i ended up having more sauce than i needed so you can save some for later or make a little less.

1 8 oz package House Foods Tofu Shirataki Angel Hair Pasta (40 cals)
3/4 cup skim milk (62 cals)
1 tbsp flour (27 cals)
1 clove garlic (4 cals)
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light cheese (35 cals)
1 oz Parmesan Cheese (110 cals) - i used the shaved kind in the tub, not the shaker
3 oz cooked chicken breast, cubed (98 cals)
pepper to taste

1. First, prepare the noodles. When you open the package they smell nasty, so boil them for a few minutes and then run cold water over them. Pat dry and set aside.
2. Whisk the milk and flour. Heat over medium heat until mixture thickens slightly. While heating, grate in the garlic clove and add pepper to taste.
3. Once the mixture has thickened, lower heat and add in laughing cow and parmesan cheese. Stir until melted.
4. Toss noodles, sauce, and chicken together and enjoy!

This makes a big single serving (376 cals!) or enough for two side servings. The noodles have a slightly gelatinous texture, but they're not much different than soba noodles or al dente pasta to me. I'm hooked and will be using these again! The noodles are kind of hard to find, but I found them in a regular grocery store. They're also pretty easy to find in Asian grocery stores (near the tofu) I've heard.

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    what grocery store did you find them in and what section?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I use these all the time...wonderful with pesto! Yum!

You can usually find them in the produce section near the tofu and other meat alternitives.
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    what exactly are they...noodles, tofu, ???
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yep...just tofu noodles...but they are wonderful!
  • lisapisa81
    lisapisa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    the ones i made had both tofu and yam flour in them. i found them at a place called plowboys in the refrigerated section but i'm pretty sure its local to southern CA. i haven't seen them at the big chain grocery stores but i'd be suprised if you couldn't find them at an asian grocery store.

by the way, a few things i left out of the recipe -

- drain the noodles before you boil them - put them in a new pot of boiling water to leach off as much of the smell as possible
    - the noodles are really long and clump together - i ran scissors through them a few times to cut them into bite sized pieces before adding the sauce
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    Hi There ;) Sounds yummy !!!

I found the noodles at our Local Safeway. They were located with the tofu and won ton wrappers ! They were on sale 2 for 5.00 so I bought 2 and wish I had purchased more :)

YUM !!!!!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Yeah I love shirataki noodles too, although many people don't. So far I have found them in Price Chopper, Whole Foods and finally my local vegetable store (only 3 mins from my house):tongue: . (From $1.49 a bag to $2.49)
    Whenever my family eats anything with pasta, I replace the pasta with shirataki and just use the sauce. It's a lifesaver when I have less than 100 cals left for the day but am still wanting a full meal, I used to only like the angel hair, but then realized that I really like the regular spaghetti one too. You can find lots of recipes for them on www.hungry-girl.com and just using your search engine.