question about excercise equipment..

Options
i want to buy an exercise machine.. all i've really ever used is an elliptical and treadmill. wondering what everyone uses and what you think gives the best workout and highest calorie burn??:smile:

Replies

• MissNova
    MissNova Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I personally love my elliptical. The one I has weight loss, aerobic, and heart rate programs so you can change it up all the time.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    i want to buy an exercise machine.. all i've really ever used is an elliptical and treadmill. wondering what everyone uses and what you think gives the best workout and highest calorie burn??:smile:
    I have to say I :heart: my elliptical trainer.I use it everyday!! But this is my personal opinion as I am sure others will say they don't care for elliptical trainers.Its all about what works best for you my dear.I burn mega cals on my elliptical.
  • carolkitchen
    Options
    I would recommend going to a gym or rec center and trying the equipment before you invest in one. You can usually do a free trial period or a pay by the day just to test them out. I have an Octane Elliptical Trainer (that I'm about to get on) and LOVE it. It was quite the investment but I already knew I loved elliptical trainers and wanted to get a good one. That's the other thing, it's not a place to skimp. If you get a cheap one that doesn't work well you won't be as motivated to use it.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I bought my wife a used health club quality Spinner Bike. It can burn some SERIOUS calories. You can increase the tension and actually stand to pedal (simulating hills). This is NOT like the stationary bikes where you only pedal. You get your whole body moving. She has lost many inches and about 15 lbs in a very short time (she was not really heavy to begin)!!!
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi erussell1989,

I have wanted equipment for years and have tried so many home dvd's that either turned out
    boring or I didn't see results. I am currently using P90X and I LOVE IT!!! It's only about $130
    and you can split it up into 3 payments.

Yesterday I completed day9 and I ALREADY SEE & FEEL progress. I am trimming down in
    inches and the scale needle is starting to drop. I feel incredibly more toned with every move.
    Walking feels so solid and muscular (not buff like a boy-toned and fit)
    I am so happy with the P90X program, I can't imagine ever needing equipment to get these
    same super fit results.
    (I already had my own bands & free weights and there's a trick around the pull-up bar, if you need that tip)

Just suppin to consider. . .. .
    ♥Karen
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Falcon, yes!!! P90X is great!! I use it and it works. My wife does Spinner and strength training with good results.
  • demezat
    demezat Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm with everyone else...I :heart: my elliptical! It was one the the best purchases I've made for myself. I've also heard nothing but good things about P90X although I haven't tried it myself. I'd love to but haven't had the money to purchase the DVD's yet. Check craigslist or ebay for used fitness equipment if you don't want to spend a lot. We bought a home gym with 300lbs of weights for hardly nothing from a local guy that had it posted on craigslist and its worked out great. check the newspaper classifieds as well. Good luck!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Depending how much you want to spend, and any physical limitations, you could go either direction as far as equipment goes. I have an eliptical, and love it. I have joint issues in my knees and feet, so that was my main reason for going with the eliptical. It is designed to releive stress on your joints. I also get bored pretty easily with running, and the eliptical is just enough different to make it interesting for me (plus you can go backwards to work different muscle groups).

Mine is a cheap-o from Walmart, but it has built in training programs, a fan, heart rate monitors on the handles, and speakers with a plug for my mp3 player. Definitely a great investment, and it gets the job done.

Hope this helps!