I've been duped!!

Options
2»

Replies

• c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    So the polar heart rate monitors are the best? I THINK hubby's is that brand, will have to get it out.

I think in general, the ones with a chest strap is more accurate than just the watches. BUT - I'm no expert and new to this too!
  • Tajdancer
    Tajdancer Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You are not an idiot! You did the best you could with the info at hand, as another couple of posters have said.

I can't afford a quality HRM right now, so here's what I do: I input a weight 5 lbs under my real weight when I work out on a cardio machine. I take about 25% off other calorie-burn numbers given by MFP (gardening, for example). I eat back most of my exercise cals--accurate or not. And I'm losing quite steadily.
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Loves418
    Loves418 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I was beyond shocked when I got my HRM and the difference between the machines and it. Now I am on the right track. Don't feel bad happens to a lot of us...
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Oh noooo that sucks! The exercise machine was on crack! LOL
    I love my Ft4!!!!

Don't feel like an idiot, this is a learning process for all of us.

Good work with your commitment! You will go far!! :flowerforyou:
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I use the readout from the machines as a guideline. If it says 600, I usually just count about 350-400 as my basis.
  • rachelgoutos
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!!! Kind of :brokenheart: actually... The same thing happened to me today. I got the same HRM as you, which arrived yesterday afternoon. This morning, I did my second day of 30DS and the difference between what MFP estimated vs. what the HRM stated was off by 150 calories. I am actually kind of afraid to go to the gym and see what the difference between the HRM and the machine says! Oh well, better to know now than wonder why the scale isn;t moving all that much...
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Been there!! When I got my FT7 I was so bummed to find it about 15% below my Octane Elliptical readout. Once the shock wore off, I don't seem to mind it anymore.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it now~~it's water under the bridge. I usually use an average if I'm not sure, and I usually try to eat back around 1/2 of my exercise calories (unless I'm starving!). That way, I have a bit of room for mistakes.

Thats what I do too!
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'd be irritated too, but you know what? This could be a good thing - you're netting at about 1400 instead of 1200? That's good - a lot of people on here do that finding 1200 ultimately to be too restrictive. If I were you, I'd keep doing what you're doing and adjust your goals on mfp and be patient with the plateau :)

That said, it really makes me wonder about calorie estimates! Another reason why I need to get an HRM! :)
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    That is why i hate it when people complain that they are not losing any weight and ask for advice and someone tells them to eat more. Then i see they are burning 600 to 1000 calories. I work out a lot (at least an hour a day, most of the time more) and i rarely get to 600 calories.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I feel much better knowing now, what I know. I'm just glad I was only set back a few weeks, because I honestly would have considered quitting, thinking I'm doing everything right and getting absolutely no results!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    That is why i hate it when people complain that they are not losing any weight and ask for advice and someone tells them to eat more. Then i see they are burning 600 to 1000 calories. I work out a lot (at least an hour a day, most of the time more) and i rarely get to 600 calories.

True, but people don't burn calories at the same rate. I wish I still burned calories like when I first started but I burn a lot less now or have to work much harder to get the huge burns.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I tested my HRM against numerous machines at the gym (i'm just geeky like that :) and found that the stairmaster in which you input your weight was the most reliable machine at the gym. Even though you put your weight into the treadmill it was way off. I get so nervous when I see people talking about eating all their exercise calories back - if you don't have an HRM you could be making a huge mistake so to err on the safe side (without an HRM) perhaps only eat 1/2 back.