Personal 5k and 10k Records!

Options
Kekibird
Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
Today I ran my 4th race this year. It was my first trail race and only my second attempt at a 10k.

I ran my first 10k last September in 82 minutes. My best 5k time so far as been 35:08 minutes.

Knowing my past times and my general 5.2 mph pace, I guessed I'd finished today's race in 70-85 minutes.

Today my 5k time was under 35 and my overall time was 68:48! I totally went above and beyond the time I thought I'd finish in! I'm so excited!!!

Replies

• Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!!! That is so awesome. I'm pretty new at running and it is such a high to accomplish a goal--just finishing at this point for me. Thanks for sharing!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    :drinker:
  • Kekibird
    Options
    I just started running last year, January 2011 being my first race. So these are both HUGE goals to have accomplished.
  • TLGaudet
    TLGaudet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your post!
    I woke up one morning in January and decided to start training, partly to get in shape and to attempt to lose some weight. I'm following a 12 week guide which will bring me to my race date in April 2012.
    I'm up to 6 mile on my longer runs and it's been tough, but I'm hoping my times will just get better and my endurance will improve.

Thanks for posting your times as it's given me an idea of where I could be.
    :) Good luck in your future runs!
  • Kekibird
    Options
    It's very doable. I started out running a 5k in 41 minutes. I run a 5k on average about 35 minutes. Just keep at it!
  • bobbi_jo2
    bobbi_jo2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I too am new to running. Ran close to a 5k yesterday and it took me about 39 minutes. I signed up for a 10k in June. As of now, my goal is simply to finish the race and hopefully not have to walk or take breaks. But hopefully after I can work on speed. Great job!
  • Kekibird
    Options
    Yeah just take your first race to gauge the rest of your races after. My first race was just "Get through this and DON'T DIE!" Now I run to see how I've improved. And to have fun :)
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Awesome job! I too am new to running. Ran close to a 5k yesterday and it took me about 39 minutes. I signed up for a 10k in June. As of now, my goal is simply to finish the race and hopefully not have to walk or take breaks. But hopefully after I can work on speed. Great job!

No problems walking on your first 10K. Most everyone does. If you've already paid, you're committed. Step 1.
  • mousecat84
    Options
    Congrats on exceeding your own expectations! That would feel amazing, that's for sure!
  • ocrunner11
    ocrunner11 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Training does it all the time!! You put in the time and it paid back:flowerforyou:
    Very Proud of YOU!:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • jlambert77
    jlambert77 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    awesome post and very encouraging! :)
    i'm training for a 10k without walk breaks right now(for myself..I want to prove to ME that I can do it!) :)
    My best 5K time is 32:59 (hehe...not 33!) :)
    I ran a half-marathon in October with 2 broken toes(ugh..don't ask!) in 2:34...not too shabby! :)
    I've only been running for 1.5years, and started out with a C25K type program! :) (and 31lbs heavier than I am today!) :)
    Keep at it everyone--it pays off!! :)
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My friends - remember this from John 'the penguin' Bingham. "The miracle isn't that I finished - the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

My goals are met when I cross the finish line in a respectable time. (my average HM (25+) time is 2:15 and my full marathon (6) is about 4:30. - and I started running at the age of 53 - 8 years ago.
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I ran 5k yesterday and wasn't even trying to beat my previous record but did by almost 1 minute finishing it in 25:06. I want to by the end of April do it under 24mins. I've come so far from last July where I could only run 5mins at 8.5km/h to my most at 60mins at 12km/h. My ultimate dream is to run the London Marathon in within the next 4 years.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!