Sub for coconut oil?

jayne_mel
jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
what can I use to sub 1/2c co in a crockpot recipe? It was originally veg/canola oil

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Just curious: why are you replacing the coconut oil?

And I would use olive oil or butter for a replacement.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Just curious: why are you replacing the coconut oil?

And I would use olive oil or butter for a replacement.

Agreed. However, I only use olive oil for salad oil
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    I'm confused as to whether you are looking for a sub for coconut oil or for canola oil. What kind of recipe is it? Coconut oil is a solid fat, so I would probably be looking to sub a solid fat.
  • jayne_mel
    I don't have any... however if those are my options I might be getting some. It's a recipe for granola.
  • jayne_mel
    A friend just said peanut butter. Is this even an option?
  • spngebobmyhero
    If its for granola and you don't want to buy coconut oil (but you should cause its awesome!!!) then I would do part butter, part canned pumpkin. Pumpkin is good as a binder and it has a pretty mild flavor that pairs well with granola. And, kerrygold butter is awesome
  • jayne_mel
    Thanks.
  • spngebobmyhero
    recipe that tastes great, even if I don't eat granola anymore!!

Maple Pumpkin Granola
    adapted from Sugar Plum
    1/3 cup pumpkin puree
    1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup pure maple syrup
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    1/2 cup sunflower seeds
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 1/4 cups old fashioned oats
    1/4-1/2 cup Craisins
    Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Coat a large cookie sheet with cooking spray.
    In a large bowl, whisk together, pumpkin, brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and salt until combined; stir in oats and sunflower seeds until combined. Spread onto cookie sheet.
    Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crisp. Remove from oven and stir in craisins and cool.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Okay, usually you can use any kind of oil when you are making granola, to nicely brown the oats. But it is harder to toast them in a crockpot because the temp is lower and it is a moist environment. Coconut oil is really good for toasting/browning foods. The peanut butter might be tasty, but I don't think it will help much with browning. Butter or another solid fat in your arsenal (palm oil, shortening, lard) might work better.
  • jayne_mel
    sweet :) thanks for the recipe
  • speedie9
    speedie9 Posts: 2
    I usually use light olive oil. However if you are browning something, you'll need to use partial solid fat and butter is a good substitute. (when trying to saute.. the olive oil/butter combo will let the food brown but not burn.)