Cannot reach my calorie goal

Options
I need ideas for what to eat to reach my goal. I'm constantly under!

This site is giving me a daily goal of 1220. Today I'm 500 under!!!

Here's what I typically eat in a day:

Yogurt and apple for breakfast. And a cup of tea, skim milk in it and splenda. Sometimes yogurt and eggs or egg whites.
Mid-morning snack, another apple or some berries.
Tuna or chicken and a salad for lunch with a low fat dressing.
Afternoon snack, yogurt or cottage cheese
Dinner, chicken and a salad or other veggies like brussels sprouts or beans, etc.
Don't often have an evening snack, but if I do, cereal like Special K with milk and sometimes a tiny bit of sugar if I'm craving something sweet.

This is putting me way under my calorie goal. It seems like the only way to eat the missing 500 calories is to eat something unhealthy.

Any food ideas to help me reach my goal? I want to eat clean. Nothing processed. And I'm not interested in those 100 cal snack packs of chips, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• Jgen62
    Jgen62 Posts: 66
    Options
    That happens to me as well so what I do is drink a boost plus 360 calories and has nutrition to boot! I have tried the very vanilla and chocolate. They taste pretty good :)
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What did you used to eat? It sounds like you may be overcompensating or trying too hard. I would think you could add some healthy carbs to your diet without compromising your diet. Whole grain breads or crackers can add some calories and fiber. They are still healthy, probably moreso than a diet depending too much on protein. How do you stack up against MFP's allotments of protein, fat and carbs? I would think eating some of that tuna and chicken in sandwiches would help. I like some ot the Arnold's or Pepperidge Farm sandwich thins. You could also maybe add a quarter cup or so of some good granola to that yogurt in the morning. Hope this helps.
  • Amylind13
    Options
    How about some bananas, or nuts or dried fruit? High cal and healthy. Fruit smoothies are great too, just throw some frozen fruit and a little almond milk in a blender with a banana.
  • TJFTJF
    TJFTJF Posts: 1
    Options
    I found some good recipes at www.losefatcenter.com
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I can't eat nuts, so that's out. But the other suggestions are good.

To philco41, yes, I am definitely over compensating, and trying to hard.

I used to drink Pepsi from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. Never drank water.
    I would eat fast food on an almost daily basis. Burgers, fries, gravy.
    In the evenings I would eat a bag of chips in one sitting. Every evening.
  • Snowflake0917
    Options
    I certainly dont have that problem.......here's some things I eat and almost always right at my limit......Looks like you need some carbs and fiber. Try a fiber bar for a snack. Try sandwich rounds for a sandwich. I also like celery with cream cheese to get some veggies and dairy. I also use a weight watcher cookbook and make dinners that sometimes have 500 to 600 cals but very tasty things like spinach lasagna and meatloaf etc.
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    add some granola to your breakfast or it twice the amount of the same snacks. i laugh because it seems like i'm always eating or snacking but i'm losin so i guess that old saying of starve to be skinny is out for me:0)
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    and as for over compensating...its like when you poor everything you have into a bike ride, you go 10 miles and can't get back so you quit.......stop and enjoy the ride of changing into healthy! it's a very enjoyable ride. i have enjoyed every drop of sweat and every experience i've had. you didn't get un-healthy over night:flowerforyou:
  • LenaCali
    LenaCali Posts: 18
    Options
    You need complex carbohydrates!

Vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, turnip greens, eggplant, potatoes, yams, corn.

Legumes: lentils, kidney beans, black beans, peas, garbanzo beans, soy beans and pinto beans.

Whole Grains: millet, oats, wheat germ, barley, wild rice, brown rice, buckwheat, oat bran, cornmeal and amaranth.

"Carbohydrates are a macronutrient that your body needs in HIGH doses on a daily basis for proper functioning. When you eat carbohydrates, they get converted to glycogen and either used immediately for energy, providing a steady dose of blood sugar, or they are stored in the muscles and liver for energy at a later time. Simple carbs, by contrast, cause a spike in blood sugar that quickly dissipates. For sustained energy, eat foods rich in complex carbs." ~Kevin Rail

... and if it's marked 'quick' oats, or 'minute' rice it is not as nutrient rich for you - natural takes time to cook.

I am confident that you can make your calorie-count if you incorporate complex carbs. Keep up the fight girl :):):)
  • Slice1
    Slice1 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You need complex carbohydrates!

Vegetables: broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, turnip greens, eggplant, potatoes, yams, corn.

Legumes: lentils, kidney beans, black beans, peas, garbanzo beans, soy beans and pinto beans.

Whole Grains: millet, oats, wheat germ, barley, wild rice, brown rice, buckwheat, oat bran, cornmeal and amaranth.

"Carbohydrates are a macronutrient that your body needs in HIGH doses on a daily basis for proper functioning. When you eat carbohydrates, they get converted to glycogen and either used immediately for energy, providing a steady dose of blood sugar, or they are stored in the muscles and liver for energy at a later time. Simple carbs, by contrast, cause a spike in blood sugar that quickly dissipates. For sustained energy, eat foods rich in complex carbs." ~Kevin Rail

... and if it's marked 'quick' oats, or 'minute' rice it is not as nutrient rich for you - natural takes time to cook.

I am confident that you can make your calorie-count if you incorporate complex carbs. Keep up the fight girl :):):)

Thank you! This was very helpful!
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Saute your veggies in olive oil, or dip your apple slices in a couple tbsp of all natural peanut butter!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Do you like peanut butter? It's awesome with fruits and vegetables, graham crackers, etc. It's got protein and good fat. Love it!!!