Eating late = gaining weight?

Myth or truth? If I eat my dinner at 11pm versus 5pm, am I going to gain weight?

Replies

• strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Myth. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • Leylaos
    Leylaos Posts: 136 Member
    i would like to know also as im always hungrey at night
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    It's not when you eat, it's what you eat. Time of day means nothing.
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Myth. I eat cottage cheese or have a protein shake almost every night before bed.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I don't think so if you are still within your goals. I think it's all about caloric intake and exercise. If I was hungry and hadn't eaten by 11pm I'd eat
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Myth according to the articles I have read.

The NUMBER of calories, NOT the timing.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    I don't think it matters. However, sumo wrestlers work out the entire day on empty stomach then eat large meals, and go to sleep to gain weight. I would say if you are not piling it on late at night it shouldn't be an issue. However, I would stick with protein. I personally don't make this a habit as my digestion and laying down don't make a good combination.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    You can eat whenever, just watch that its not junk.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I don't think it matters. I usually eat before I go to bed. (not dinner, just a snack)
  • arielaliza
    arielaliza Posts: 20 Member
    Agreed! I am a late night eater as well and have researched this... eat away! As long as you stay within your cals for the day, you should be good to go!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    if there is one thing i learned its not to eat below your BMR....it never stressed unless its night time! so i eat whenever i haven't gained from it so i say nope:smile:
  • LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    I've heard this, too. Everything I've actually read indicates it's myth...but it seems like if you eat something before bed, you won't be able to burn it off. Babies sleep better if you fill up their stomach before you put them to bed...maybe we should take our cue from them..
  • Waszo
    Waszo Posts: 41
    myth, but eating right before bedtime can cause sleep issues which in turn can lead to weight gain. It would have to be a constant problem with sleeping to cause the weight gain
  • MYTH! I train late so I have 2 late meals. Typically post work out shake @ 11 and a big meal @12! I've never felt better. I used to go to bed hungry all the time.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    I don't think it matters. However, sumo wrestlers work out the entire day on empty stomach then eat large meals, and go to sleep to gain weight. I would say if you are not piling it on late at night it shouldn't be an issue. However, I would stick with protein. I personally don't make this a habit as my digestion and laying down don't make a good combination.

It's what Sumo wrestlers eat that help them gain. They eat large portions of specifically prepared meals, many prepared by the wrestlers themselves, designed to bring up the weight. If I'm not mistaken they also exercise to build muscle so it's not all flab. Yes it's true if your body is idle food is stored as fat, but you burn it when you become active again.
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    I am always afraid to eat too late. I normally try to eat anything heavy at least 3 hrs before bed. Mainly my reason is because a really long time ago I fell asleep when I was stuffed (Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner) when I woke up I had the worst belly ache ever so I associate going to bed too soon on full belly w/having a bad stomach ache.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Since joining MFP there are two diet myths that I've had to change... one is it's okay to eat after 6 pm.. the other is that I needed to eat more.

I workout after work and often by the time I hit the gym, I've only eaten maybe 800 calories. Which for me leaves about 700 I need to eat BEFORE working out.. then I workout and usually burn between 700-900 calories. I don't try to eat back everything.. but I have a nice big dinner and then a snack before bed.. even a little nightcap.

In 3 months I've lost 30 lbs, which is amazing to me. I don't feel like I'm dieting at all! It truly is a lifestyle change I can live with!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    It's 10:40 here and I just ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I have no regrets.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Total myth. I eat my biggest meal a couple of hours before bed. Hasn't hurt my progress any.