Going over on protein

Options
I have a concern about a pattern I've been noticing in my eating habits. Every day I am usually a little short of my 1500 calorie goal, and I am also a bit short on carbs and fat. However I always seem to go way over on my protein goal. So I was just wondering, does protein make you fat? I understand this happens when eating protein bars since they are practically just protein-packed candy bars, but I don't eat protein bars. I get most of my protein from eggs or yogurt/cheese or bread. I am worried that eating too much protein will hinder my weight loss, and it doesn't help that I've hit a plateau and have been at around 147 for the past two weeks. Does this happen to any of you?

Replies

• kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been over on my protein, too, and most of it comes from yogurt, cheese, or healthy meats. I am also the came weight as you and am at a plateau. I will be interested to hear what other people say. I figured that it's better to be over on protein rather than be over on carbs and fat?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Going over you TDEE is what makes you fat.
    It doesnt matter really what macronutrient you go over in.

To figure out your proper numbers check out this link and PM me with any questions!

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool. The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis. Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE. For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.<<<<<<<
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Protien is the building block of muscle (it does NOT make you fat). It is great that you are eating "too much" of it, because if you don't eat enough you could lose muscle mass.

However, the default values on MFP may or may not have the best allocation for everyone. I forget what the default is, but alot of people reccomend changing to to 40% carbs, 30% protien, and 30% fat. Before I did this, I was always like 15 grams over on my protien, but after I adjusted it....I have never gotten to my 30% goal on protien. I am a carb eater. But I do my best to get as much protien as I can, and hope it will even out.

If I were you, I would make sure I was doing adequate strength training, and then eat the best I could eating protien and be happy with what works for you. People do better on different levels.

If you have hit a platue, it is probably because you a) aren't logging ALL your calories and staying under your goal OR b) you need to drop your daily intake goal.
  • CrimsonCatalystX
    Options
    Thanks you guys. Maybe the reason I am staying at 147 is because I am building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. I hope that's the case lol. I need to get measuring tape and measure my waist. I hear that's the best way to track weight loss.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Maybe the reason I am staying at 147 is because I am building muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat. I hope that's the case lol.

This is an excellent way to start a 1,000 comment thread.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Going over on one specific section [fat, carbs, etc.] isn't what's going to make you fat...Calories in vs. calories out. Focus on that first, then later on fat & cholesterol [heart health!] & all the other lovely nutrients your body needs :)
  • CrimsonCatalystX
    Options
    Well I weighed myself this morning, and now I'm 146. Maybe I posted too soon. It's only one pound but it's better than staying the same or gaining one pound!
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am having the opposite problem... I am struggling to get to my target protein each day, guess I better eat more eggs and fish.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    if the body doesn't need the excess protein it can convert it to something it does need.. like sugars .. so like said above.. as long as you don't go over your calorie limit.. whatever that might be.. you won't gain fat.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    One of my MFP asked me the same thing.
    DO NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT MFP SETS YOU ON YOUR MACROS!
    set your own macros that suit YOU!
    As long as you don't go over your caloric intake, then it's all good.
    Cause essentially, it's calories in vs calories out.
    If you have a hectic training schedule then you need high carbs and proteins.
    A high intake of protein every day, usually up to 300g for normal people, which i'm sure you're not even getting close to,
    would get converted into amino acids and then if there is an excess of protein, your liver would turn
    the nitrogen from the amino acids into ammonia.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    MFP protein settings are really low. You can change your goals for each macronutrient and I highly recommend doing so.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I set my own macros like a few others have suggested, and gear to eat over 120 grams of protein a day. It's a building block for muscle, as someone else mentioned, so while I'm focusing on losing fat, I want to be sure I retain muscle! Not to mention, filling up on lean protein, healthy veggies and fruits, and some whole grain carbs here and there has left me feeling very full and satisfied. No hungry girl here! Don't sweat going over on your protein, as long as you're staying within your caloric reccomendations :)
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am having the opposite problem... I am struggling to get to my target protein each day, guess I better eat more eggs and fish.

protein shake would do the job.