Gluten-Free Cake?

Options
klikittyklak
klikittyklak Posts: 144
I'm looking for a good cake recipe that's GLUTEN-FREE (very important!!!) It's good if it's low in calories, but most important is taste.

I'm making it for a friend who suffers from celiac disease's birthday on Monday! Any help is appreciated. :smile:

Replies

• PrincessSaraMM
    Options
    Hey...you should check out www.celiac.com
    They have gluten free recipes. Cakes and frosting's.
    I have not personally made or tasted any of these recipes. I would read the reviews. One thing about the internet, people aren't afraid to say how it really is. :smile:

Hope this helps!

Sara
  • racoon1
    racoon1 Posts: 78
    Options
    I just googled gluten free cake and a bunch of recipies came up u could try that too.:flowerforyou:
  • klikittyklak
    Options
    Yeah, I have googled some but I was hoping for something that people had made and loved themselves!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    at a health food store, you should be able to find a cup-for-cup wheat flour substitute that is gluten free.

I have had great success making "bossy" cakes (that are very flavour rich. . .think carrot cake with lots of raisins, nuts, pineapple, etc) but don't expect the texture to be light and fluffy. . .that's the gluten that gives you that texture. So, if you have a moist cake, it usually blends in just fine.

Also, gluten-free flour is usually more calorie dense than wheat flour.

Hope that helps. Also, you may be able to find a bakery that does these, depending on your location.:flowerforyou:
  • minnabird
    minnabird Posts: 3
    Options
    I also suffer from celiac.....first off...do you have the flours that you would need...the GF flours?? If you do, I have a gluten free yellow cake recipe that I could give you and also a chocolate mayo cake neither of which is low-fat :blushing: I have a recipe for lemon cake that I have not tried yet so cant tell you how that one is taste wise, but I like either of the other two just fine.

I live in a rural area and dont have access to a health food store so I cant really guide you on which of the "mixes" from the stores would be best, but I know they have some really good ones. I would also suggest that you google for delphi forums.....then you want to search for celiac and that should bring up the celiac forum. There is one particular lady there who does a TON of cooking and has loads of recipes on there for all kinds of things. Would also second going to celiac.com as well.

It is really nice what you are doing....I have not had anyone make me a birthday cake in YEARS!!

Just let me know if you'd like the recipes.
  • klikittyklak
    Options
    at a health food store, you should be able to find a cup-for-cup wheat flour substitute that is gluten free.

The problem is that there are lots of other substances that go into cakes and things which contain gluten too! But thanks, I did find gluten-free cake mix at the store today, so I will try to do something with that!
  • klikittyklak
    Options
    I also suffer from celiac.....first off...do you have the flours that you would need...the GF flours?? If you do, I have a gluten free yellow cake recipe that I could give you and also a chocolate mayo cake neither of which is low-fat :blushing: I have a recipe for lemon cake that I have not tried yet so cant tell you how that one is taste wise, but I like either of the other two just fine.

Maybe the yellow cake and/or the lemon? I don't really want to do anything with chocolate. Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on allrecipes:
    Garbanzo bean chocolate cake
    INGREDIENTS
    1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
    1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    4 eggs
    3/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting

DIRECTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch round cake pan.
    Place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl. Cook in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 20 seconds after the first minute, until chocolate is melted and smooth. If you have a powerful microwave, reduce the power to 50 percent.
    Combine the beans and eggs in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add the sugar and the baking powder, and pulse to blend. Pour in the melted chocolate and blend until smooth, scraping down the corners to make sure chocolate is completely mixed. Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan.
    Bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

Editor's Note
    Look for labeling on chocolate chips and baking powder to be sure ingredients are truly gluten free if serving to people with severe allergies.

I haven't tried this, but I've used black beans in brownies, and it turned out just fine. Plus, the ratings on this recipe are really good. Let me know how it turns out if you try it.
  • minnabird
    minnabird Posts: 3
    Options
    Here you go.....

YELLOW GF CAKE Preheat 350 degrees.

1 1/2 C white rice flour
    3/4 C tapioca flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 Tbsp baking powder
    1 Tbsp xanthan gum
    4 eggs
    1 1/4 C white sugar
    2/3 C mayo
    1 C milk
    2 tsp vanilla

Grease cake dish. Mix white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and xanthan gum together. Set aside.

Mix eggs, sugar, and mayo until fluffy. Add flour mix, milk, and vanilla, mix well. Bake at 350 for approx 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.

LEMON CAKE (this is from bigoven.com, I have not tried it yet)

4 eggs
    3/4 C sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/4 C vegetable oil
    1 Tbsp lemon peel
    2 Tbsp Lemon juice
    1/2 C Rice flour (does not specify white, brown, or sweet...I would think white rice would do)
    1/4 C Potato starch

Beat eggs and sugar together. Add vanilla, oil, lemon peel, lemon juice, and flours. Beat until smooth. Pour into greased 9x9 baking pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes and how your friend likes the cake. I will be on the edge of my chair with curiosity :bigsmile: Good luck with it!
  • klikittyklak
    Options
    Thank you very much you guys!! :love: