Migraine Sufferers - Please Read

Options

Replies

• ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Since I've had them nearly 20 years, I've tried TONS of things: no caffeine (not even a drop) for 9 months, food allergies (a while ago, before "gluten free" was a common phrase), more sleep, less sleep, same sleep schedule 7 days/week, (I could go on and on).

However, the one thing I haven't tried is gluten-free. I've actually considered trying this (and now I'm more likely to do so, now that I've heard a migraine success story about it). It kind of intimidates me, because EVERYTHING i LOVE to eat has gluten. Do you remember how long it took into the gluten-free diet to see results?

Thanks!

Her migraines weren't daily occurrences so I couldn't give you a time frame on that but she did often have several a week and hasn't had even one since going GF. For some people they can see relief of symptoms within a week. For others it can take several weeks as their body needs more time to recover. I think the common thought on it is, the longer you've been eating foods that your body is having a reaction to, the longer you should expect it to take to recover. I've only heard of it taking several months at the longest though, not years or anything like that.

There are tons of informational websites that can help you get started, especially with what to look for in foods you might buy. Often there are things with gluten that you wouldn't expect and you can gluten yourself without realizing it. If you like to cook at all you can still enjoy foods you love. It just takes a little re-learning for some things but once you get it figured out it's no different than cooking with gluten. The one exception would be breads. There are some decent work arounds but I won't lie and tell you that bread will be the same. :) But if you feel better it will probably be worth it to you.

Here's a site to get you started but if you have questions you can feel free to PM me. There is also a gluten free group here on MFP that has a lot of knowledgeable people in it.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to check that out. You're right - cutting out any of those foods (even pasta, my all time favorite food) will be worth it if there is a significant improvement in my headaches.
    Thanks again!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I realize this is not answering your question and it may be silly to mention as you've had medical attention, but have you tried Maxalt? I consider it a miracle drug for migraines and had to mention, just in case. It has worked wonders for me, my husband and one of my friends. Having said that, when I have a migraine, I can't do much except walk and even that I can't do if it is hot/sunny.

This was a miracle drug for me! I went from being absolutely debilitated for about 4 days a month to being totally functional.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When I get migraines...and they are that bad as well...I can't exercise, getting through work is difficult enough when they're bad....however, if you have to do something...what about just walking like not even running but just a walk around the neighborhood or something...the fresh air might help too?

You might have to go longer to burn more calories but I know I can't do anything stronger than a walk when I have them
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Well, in terms of exercise. When your head is "throbbing" from a migraine, EVERYTHING makes it worse. But what I am able to manage is a rebounder and body weight exercise at home. Basically, noise and light are horrific while having a migraine, which pretty much eliminates the gym and anything outside (you're a guy. so maybe you can run or walk outside when its dark, but not me.). So, that leaves working out inside, with the curtains drawn.

Since I dont' want to buy (or have the room for) expensive equipment, I use a decent rebounder (not the cheapest, I paid about 150 for mine), and bodyweight exercises done in an interval/calisthenic/cardio fashion. The latter has the wonderful feature of being quick. If nothing will feel great, shorter is better. Intervals are no longer than 15 minutes...20 minutes with a warmup.
  • thislittlerose
    Options
    The brown rice fusilli from Trader Joe's is fantastic!
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You've mentioned that muscle relaxants help - I used to get them about 3-4 times a month, lasting 5-7 days each and muscle relaxants helped more than any other drug - so I found yoga (and other types of stretching exercises) to be a big help, as well as lower impact exercises - like walking (always wearing sunglasses) were best.
    Now I only get them about twice a year (I swear by regular massages & stretching, along with diet changes) I will continue with whatever exercise I planned for the day - but at a slower pace, and usually feel better after. Good luck.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    They have GF pastas! I'm not a big pasta fan so I haven't tried them but the quinoa pastas are popular among my friends who are GF (and I have several of them.) The one thing I've been told is don't cook them too long or they'll get mushy and fall apart. I think my friend said about 9 minutes was all she does.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Too high carb, combined with eating late, which usually meant staying up late too, was my trigger for a migraine the next day.

I feel for you, I've got sensitive hearing and eyes already, and there is no way I'd attempt exercise while a migraine was making it worse.

But constant exercise is my fix. As long as I hit 3 x weekly, I'll be good. Even going into surgery that left me with no workouts for a month, had me with no migraines. Starting getting them though, right about time I could start exercising again, so good timing.

But with exercise, the normal triggers are not at all.

So I'd say start with the walks, or if you belong to a gym, those arc trainers which are mainly leg swinging. very gentle, more than elliptical.
  • ralevin
    Options
    Well, in terms of exercise. When your head is "throbbing" from a migraine, EVERYTHING makes it worse. But what I am able to manage is a rebounder and body weight exercise at home. Basically, noise and light are horrific while having a migraine, which pretty much eliminates the gym and anything outside (you're a guy. so maybe you can run or walk outside when its dark, but not me.). So, that leaves working out inside, with the curtains drawn.

Since I dont' want to buy (or have the room for) expensive equipment, I use a decent rebounder (not the cheapest, I paid about 150 for mine), and bodyweight exercises done in an interval/calisthenic/cardio fashion. The latter has the wonderful feature of being quick. If nothing will feel great, shorter is better. Intervals are no longer than 15 minutes...20 minutes with a warmup.

Thanks! Pardon my ignorance: What's a rebounder?
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    If it is truly a diagnosed migraine, you shouldn't be able to get out of bed without a lot of prescription meds.

See a doctor. It doesn't sound like migraines.

You are mistaken. Migraines are a specific TYPE of headache, not an INTENSITY of headache. Without a description of the exact headache symptoms it's impossible to say they "don't sound like migraines."
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question "what's a rebounder"....A fancy name for a small trampoline...small enough to stay indoors rather than outdoors.
  • miccreamer
    Options
    I realize this is not answering your question and it may be silly to mention as you've had medical attention, but have you tried Maxalt? I consider it a miracle drug for migraines and had to mention, just in case. It has worked wonders for me, my husband and one of my friends. Having said that, when I have a migraine, I can't do much except walk and even that I can't do if it is hot/sunny.

I suffer my migraines as well and Maxalt is my miracle drug. I have never been able to workout while having a one, but if you haven't tried Maxalt I highly recommend talking to your doctor. I hope you find what your looking for and help with you headaches/migraines.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've tried just about every type (category, not actual drug) of migraine med. The only thing that has ever worked is the narcotic pain killer and muscle relaxants (which has always made me wonder if they're actually migraines, but like I said in response to a previous post, many doctors are convinced they are). Thanks for all the advice on meds, but I'm really looking for advice for exercises that won't make them worse. I've gone years not working out because of them, and that's simply not working. Better to live longer but have to exercise through excruciating pain than to die because I can only work out once or twice a week.

See, this is where you lose me. I have migraines, but I also have severe neuropathy that makes exercise...challenging. I get very little. As much pain as I am in, I cannot truthfully say that extending my life at the cost of even more severe pain makes even a little sense to me.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a migraine since I had my heart fixed last June, but I did get them frequently for over twenty years, though not as frequent as you OP. I couldn't imagine doing any exercise that required any kind of jumping around. I agree that you should look into yoga. There is a yoga workout on netflix called Candlelight Yoga that is really relaxing and not super intense. What about swimming? Indoors the echo may be too much and outdoors the sunlight may be too much, but it may be worth looking at.
  • ralevin
    Options
    Yeah, I've tried just about every type (category, not actual drug) of migraine med. The only thing that has ever worked is the narcotic pain killer and muscle relaxants (which has always made me wonder if they're actually migraines, but like I said in response to a previous post, many doctors are convinced they are). Thanks for all the advice on meds, but I'm really looking for advice for exercises that won't make them worse. I've gone years not working out because of them, and that's simply not working. Better to live longer but have to exercise through excruciating pain than to die because I can only work out once or twice a week.

See, this is where you lose me. I have migraines, but I also have severe neuropathy that makes exercise...challenging. I get very little. As much pain as I am in, I cannot truthfully say that extending my life at the cost of even more severe pain makes even a little sense to me.

I can see your point there. I think I feel the way I do because both of my parents died when I was young, and I don't want my daughter (and, God willing, future children) to go through that.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    have you ever tried butterburr(sp) or fever few for migranes?
    they're both supposed to really help.
    they even combine them in some combinations.

and butterburr is supposed to help with allergies as well.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ahh I feel SO BAD FOR YOU! I went through this for probably four years. Migraines EVERYDAY to the point of throwing up, laying in a cold room, with a cold towel over my eyes, in the dark...for HOURS. I had so many MRI's, Dr appointments... FINALLY i was a VERY LARGE QUANTITY and EXTREMELY powerful antibiotics. They said my sinus cavities were extremely extremely infected. I will admit... After taking them for only a week, I felt like a new person. After a year the migraines started back. Nothing helped...Only after I started eating cleaner and healthier and exercising, did it finally start to ease up. I have no exercise advice for you. I know when i have an EXTREME migraine, nothing in this world could make me even think of exercising. I would say definitely keep trying to better your health and hopefully that helps. Take maxalt ASAP when you even START feeling the smallest of pains.. and keep Excedrin migraine close to you!
  • cocoaburra
    cocoaburra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also get frequent migraines. Mine are mainly from severe allergies and sinus issues, but I get true migraines as well. I can not work out during the migraines, nor can I even think about working out. I'm lucky I can function and work. If I absolutely HAD to exercise, I'd do yoga or pilates. Nothing bouncy.
  • Caitlinmaguire
    Options
    I am a long-time migraneur - just shy of 30 yrs. As I've grown older, they became more frequent. The craziest thing has been happening since January. I have only used one triptan in 8 weeks. This is unheard of for me. I've always blown through my prescription allotment and sometimes paid out of pocket for more.

I've been through times in my life when I've weighed this weight (I'm almost down to my goal) and I've also been through times of pretty intense cardio health similarly to now. I've also given up allergen risk foods for long periods of time without much change. The only thing I can fathom is that the upper body muscle work (which I've never done before) that I started 3x/week in October is reorganizing my trigger points differently. I still have headaches but nothing I would classify as migraine and they go away with ibuprofen which they haven't done in the past.

So, all of that to say, perhaps upper body and neck muscle strengthening (preferably guided by someone who can help you) may be something to try for several months and may be possible to build up into over time even during headache. And, who knows, the boost to the BMR may help your efforts on myfitnesspal. And perhaps it would add to your overall health goals.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The idea of working out through a migraine makes my head hurt thinking about it. About the only exercise I get during one is from rocking back in forth in misery. lol

How about swimming? The jarring impact from everything else would kill me, but swimming is fluid and gentle. If not actual swimming, you could always use floaty weights to get a weight lifting routine in. The resistance from the water seriously works, even if you're not feeling like it is in the moment.. I always feel nice and good-sore the next day.

I guess then the trick is getting from home to the pool without screaming/ sobbing/ writhing in agony. ;)