i've been on a diet since november

first it was about counting calories. just by doing that and excersizing i've gone from 255 to 233. thats great but now i've hit a wall. (bwt im a 22 year old male, 5ft 11) i can't lose any weight no matter how strict my eat (high protein, turkey, soup, things like that) and i excercize at least an hour a day. i talked to a personal trainer at my gym. she suggests i cut out popcorn at night, diet soda (cause it makes you hungry for some reason) and candy.the candy part has been hard.but i have avoided it for the most part. she also said to drink 96oz of water a day, which seems like a LOT. i don't think i drink that much. i also need to increase cardio to 1 hour which seems crazy...last time i managed to do 45 minutes. im gonna have increase it slowly. also i have to change my weight routine and try to eat whole foods. i can eat whole foods for breakfast like oatmeal and eggs. but im not sure about lunch and dinner. any advice would be great im starting to get annoyed...

also i eat a lot of sanwhiches with turkey and cheese. the bread is whole wheat but its still carbs so...i dont know.

Replies

• goku89
    goku89 Posts: 160
    i hope i dont have to post pictures of me without a shirt...lol
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Since you're trying to calorie restrict, what's your goal for daily intake? Is it possible that you're not eating enough?
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Try tracking vigorously for a few days, to see if you are still eating inside your calorie limit or if it's kind of got away on you witout you noticing.

otherwise just be patient. Any day you stay the same is a day you don't gain weight! I often think you have to stop dieting and just maintain for a few days every so often just to reset your body and give yourself a rest from all that hassle.

Other than that, changing your exercise regime or taking up a new sport?
  • goku89
    Since you're trying to calorie restrict, what's your goal for daily intake? Is it possible that you're not eating enough?
    my daily goal is 1500. that's what my nurse said is a good goal and am pretty sure that my personal trainer agreed. besides the three main meals i eat snacks through out the day, mostly fruit, sometimes cheese sticks, sometimes popcorn, usually at night. im not sure but pretty sure im eating enough.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    my daily goal is 1500. that's what my nurse said is a good goal and am pretty sure that my personal trainer agreed. besides the three main meals i eat snacks through out the day, mostly fruit, sometimes cheese sticks, sometimes popcorn, usually at night. im not sure but pretty sure im eating enough.

Unfortunately, nurses and personal trainers are not nutritionists and are not the best folks to advise on what your calorie intake should be. But then again, neither am I so you could say the same about me!! However, that being said, I would suggest you are on too low calories, especially with the exercise you do.

Try putting your stats into this tool - it will give you the calories you should be eating to lose weight. You should be at least at the moderately active level.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • SheenaRamone13
    SheenaRamone13 Posts: 11 Member
    i think its all a matter of how much you want to lose and by when. You have room for change so thats the good thing. Im an X 300lb and am 228 now, but still going. My best advice is when I eat a piece of fruit its earlier in the day. I have quit candy, pop, but still have popcorn twice a week. I try to treat all complex carbs like bread, most fruits, rice and most beans the same, moderation and early in the day so they have more time to burn. An hour of cardio is great but i bet you could stay at 45 for a while and just increase your intensity. Go at your "pushing myself but not dying pace" for 3 min the for 1 min bump the resistence up and sprint your heart out then repeat. Stronger heart and will keeping you in the fat burning zone for sure, as well it makes the work out fly by.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    That seems low. American College of Sports Medicine recommends a minimum of 1800 calories for men. Use a calculator such as this one to figure out what you do need to eat:http://www.healthycalculators.com/calories-intake-requirement.php. If your daily intake is below your BMR, your body will consider that starvation mode, and do everything it can to hold on to its fat stores (and burn your muscle mass instead), which is very seriously counterproductive. There are lots of threads here about weight loss stalling on lower calorie diets, and re-starting with increased calorie intake.
  • goku89
    That seems low. American College of Sports Medicine recommends a minimum of 1800 calories for men. Use a calculator such as this one to figure out what you do need to eat:http://www.healthycalculators.com/calories-intake-requirement.php. If your daily intake is below your BMR, your body will consider that starvation mode, and do everything it can to hold on to its fat stores (and burn your muscle mass instead), which is very seriously counterproductive. There are lots of threads here about weight loss stalling on lower calorie diets, and re-starting with increased calorie intake.
    hey thanks but that website isn't working