Pain when walking

Options
jlhill7
jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
Every time I walk or try to run the front of my legs (shins) feel like they are on fire. If I slow down or stop completely it will go away. If I continue it just keeps getting worse. At first I thought it was that I was out of shape as I couldn't walk even 5 minutes. I am up to 1.5 miles now and the same situation is still happening. I bought a good pair of shoes already. Any suggestions on what to do for this?

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm curious myself what it is.....I have experienced this too. I finally had to give up running and walking for a few days and switch to other types of exercise. Give yourself a break and try again. It took several weeks for mine to ease up enough where it wasn't painful to walk or run. Good luck!!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It sounds like shin splints. I've not had them myself but maybe google will know what to do.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    When I started walking and was really out of shape, my calves hurt. They were too wound up and tight.

However, losing weight, walking more often and getting into better shape has helped alleviate that. I also don't get winded going up the hills anymore and everything is easier.

In your case, it could be shin splints. If so, you should see a doctor and probably need to ease up on exercise a bit. Not sure.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I do believe it could have been shin splints......just couldn't think what it was called while ago. Very painful indeed!! I've had several friends on mfp most of which are runners who have had this. Take care of yourself and allow those legs to heal.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Every time I walk or try to run the front of my legs (shins) feel like they are on fire. If I slow down or stop completely it will go away. If I continue it just keeps getting worse. At first I thought it was that I was out of shape as I couldn't walk even 5 minutes. I am up to 1.5 miles now and the same situation is still happening. I bought a good pair of shoes already. Any suggestions on what to do for this?

Have you tried kinesiology tape? I get some pain relief in many different kinds of pain with kinesiology tape.

Taping for shin splints: http://goo.gl/HFNvT
    http://goo.gl/e0E6E
    http://goo.gl/xINa9

There are other methods. I usually try until I find the best for a given problem.
    Kinesiology tape rocks!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I had this problem and checked some stuff out online. I started stretching regularly and before walking. Sitting down, I flex my foot up and down. I also, ice it for 20 minutes whenever it hurts. This has helped me a lot.

Hope this helps.
  • jlhill7
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I will google shin splints and see what I can come up with.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Hows your foot strike? Are you walking on your heels or on the middle of your foot/ball of foot? Heel striking brings a world of pain in a myriad of ways.

Are you you raising your toes high to keep them from hitting the pavement?

Remember- longer strides do not equal faster pace- faster movements equal faster pace. If you mimic a running stride but are walking- you can run into shin pain since you're not getting the same amount of 'lift' from your push off - hence the toes pointing upward and the soreness in shins from constant work.
  • jlhill7
    Options
    My heels do ache. HMMM maybe this is my problem. Thanks for the input