going out to dinner, help!

Options
mkoff32
mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
My wife and I are going out for her birthday this friday. We are going to a fondue place. I'm stoked because I've never had fondue before, but I've been doing so well eating I'm kinda freaked. I was looking at the menu, I figure I could stick to the seafood (scallops, lobster, shrimp and throw in some chicken). Just how terrible is fondue for you?

Replies

• anthrochix
    anthrochix Posts: 264
    Options
    mmm. cheese and chocolate? i'd ask for nutrition facts...
    you'd probably be ok with lean meats and veggies in the broth, though.
    good luck!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    It's not bad, as long as you watch your portions and order the broth with the entree, not the oil. The meats are very lean, even the beef cuts. Maybe skip the cheese appetizer and the chocolate dessert if you're really worried about it.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Drink lots & lots of water this way you wont eat as much. Dont be afraid to have a little dessert, just use portion control. & exercise extra that day so you can afford a few extra calories. It would probably be good to drink extrat water & do more exercise the day after too. Have fun & remember it is ok to enjoy a meal out.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    stick to the broth to cook not the oil
  • mkoff32
    Options
    I am a fondue noob, I didn't know you had an option of broth or oil.
  • plm209
    plm209 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I say "ef" it! One dinner won't kill you and if you don't partake in what you really want to have every now and again, you'll end up getting frusturated and jump off the wagon. I say go for a walk in the afternoon and then go nuts. Once in a while never hurts and you'll be amazed at how much less you'll actually want to eat. :drinker:
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sticking to your diet is good, in fact its GREAT, but a birthday dinner with some fondue is ok, just dont over do it :flowerforyou:
  • mkoff32
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I will allow myself to go nuts this one time.
  • JulieFilter
    Options
    Hmm...I would say keep the focus on your woman, and let the food be a side event, not the main event. If you put all your attention on how much your eating, how much you should be eating, how much you want to eat, etc, you're likely to stress yourself out way too much over it. Enjoy the meal, cut unnecessary items (like the oil) and stop when your stomach says, "I'm done." When you're satisfied, NOT stuffed, push yourself away and stop eating any more. Take that time to sip and enjoy your glass of wine or water with some likely conversation with a no doubt beautiful woman :love:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guy. I think I will allow myself to go nuts this one time.

Good Idea!!! Have fun, it's just one night--and fondue is AWESOME! :love:

Just make sure you have a good workout planned for the next day! :wink:
  • scrappy11
    scrappy11 Posts: 163
    Options
    It is only one night it isn't going to hurt you at all! Enjoy yourself and make your wife's bday a really good one by enjoying her, yourself and the fondue! Trust me, one day isn't going to hurt you! Go have some fun! :)
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    We only have nice fancy fondue restaurant food about 2-3 times a year, so I just go and enjoy it rather than stressing over the calories. Yes, I'm sure the cheese is not quite easy on the body esp. when you add the bread, and I know the chocolate is probably a no-no in the diet world, but it's only one meal one ngiht. I say go and enjoy it!
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I've only been to a fondue restaraunt once, but I had never eaten so much in my life! From what I remember, there's obviously the cheese and bread fondue, but the place I went also offered fruits and vegetables to dip in the cheese. maybe skip the cheese a few times and munch on the fruits and veggies. Maybe try to only eat a little of the salad if they offer it, and most of all, really enjoy the main course! To me, that was the most amazing. Just keep in mind portion control and you will do great!