Am I the only one...

Options
mes1119
mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
that doesn't freak out when I have a bad meal?

Lately I've noticed many people on here having panic attacks because they went 200 calories over, or had a day where they overindulged. It frustrates/annoys me.

Yes, I eat healthy a majority of the time, but one or two bad meals or snacks a week hasn't hurt me. Moderation is key.

One day of bad eating WILL NOT make you gain weight. THE END. :laugh:

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Nope, I didn't even freak out when I went out of town and ate whatever all weekend.

But I used to, I get where it comes from. It took me a while to realize it was not the occasional indulgence that made me fat but rather regularly making poor choices. I think my biggest fear was not the one meal but more the fear that I would see the one bad day or meal as a license to eat crappy all the time. It has been a learning process for me ;)
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No, you're not the only one, some of us are just neurotic like that. Yes, I admit it...
    I don't mind when it's planned, but if i feel like i'm not controlling it, I freak out. It stems from past borderline-ED habits, I think.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    so glad you said that. I preach that all the time. It is the AVERAGE of what you do... Yes, MOST days should be at or under but quite honestly, this is not an exact science anyway... How do you know there was exactly 6 oz in that steak... or 8 oz... It is a good estimate... So a couple hundred calories over is pretty insignificant... if it does not happen daily.
  • erh12275
    erh12275 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Lately I've noticed many people on here having panic attacks because they went 200 calories over, or had a day where they overindulged. It frustrates/annoys me.

Yes, I eat healthy a majority of the time, but one or two bad meals or snacks a week hasn't hurt me. Moderation is key.

I don't get freaked out. But, I think I know where they are coming from(not the 200 calories ones but the ones that go over 1500-2500 calories). They are so afraid that they will let it ruin what they have accomplished. That tomorrow they will do it again...and the next day....kwim? I have this fear about the gym. I am so afraid to take time off because I am afraid I will stop going. Other than my 3 days that I took off last weekend( I did work out in the pool and walked alot at SF) and the time I took off yesterday when I was sick...I haven't missed a day at the gym since I started 6 weeks ago. I am afraid to. Eventually I know I will get to a point where it no longer bothers me...but for now I go every day.
  • wanatab1
    wanatab1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I totally agree. Sometimes i just gotta have that cookie dough icecream and you know what, I'm gonna eat the ICECREAM..Everyday staying on track and watching what i am eating is great. The awareness of what's going in my mouth is wonderful, but the awareness of what's not going in there is just depressing sometimes. So I reward myself
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Oh, and for the record, if I looked like you, I might not worry so much either :P Maybe one day :)
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options

whatever...it does me
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't freak out EVER, and have alot of OVER days.......no biggie.....
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't freak out either, and I have many days over and don't eat super clean.
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    I don't worry when I go over by a hundred cal or so because that still isn't as much as a maintenance count anyway.
    If I must go over, I try to make sure it's with healthy food... but sometimes it doesn't end up that way haha
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    The only time that I freak out is because sometimes when I binge it feels like the binge controls me, not that I control the binge.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I plan my day's out in advance unless I'm going out to eat and I can't view their menu and nutrition facts.I use to freak out, now it's a "If I gain, I'll get back off again another day." I can't freak out over going a little over, I've lost over 100lbs, I am not going back that way, and if I freak out over food, then I'm going toward a different direction that I don't think is healthy either. We need food and if I'm hungry, I mean actually hungry, I'm gonna eat, if I'm not hungry, I'm not going to eat.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily freak out. I just utter a fairly loud, "Aww, ****," when I log it later and suck it up for more squats. :laugh:
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Like I've learned to choose my fights carefully, I've learned what I "flip out" about carefully. In the grand scheme of things, I'm not going to freak out if I go a couple hundred calories over every once in a while. Yes, I need to be mindful about what I eat, but I've learned that I can say no. And I've learned when it's a-ok to say yes.

Like today, I said no to the grocery store donuts and yes to a mini molten chocolate cake for 150 calories. I'm still dealing with emotional eating, but at least I don't have anything to berate myself about tomorrow.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No. If I am going to freak out, it is going to be about something way more important than food I have willingly indulged in.
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Nope! Just keep going and make better choices :)

I am playing the long game and one bad meal does not end a lifestyle. How you react to it can!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Nope. Not alone. In my 53 years, I've learned that things will not always go as planned. You simply move ahead as best you can.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    That's the kind of stuff that makes people quit this stuff. They realize that perfection is unatainable, when it's not even necessary. Make good choices, keep around your goals on MFP, and I think things will just fall into place!
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't. I think people who freak out over that are annoying. lol
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Nope, not the only one. In fact, I'm eating a cookie, right now.