Work the night shift

Options
I work the night shift get home by 830 am bed by 9 am because my body hates the night shift, along with having psorasis my immune system also hate it on top. I have tried xyngular which helps with my health is suppose to help with weight loss however my doctor states that due to my body working night shifts I will have a hard time. On top of the fact I have had a hysterectomy and that isn't helping either. due to the whole hormones thing. If I am able to excercise it isn't until about 2 hours before work because I am a single mother with 2 children one is 16 the other 5 and they both need different attention spans and have very different schedules. MY QUESTION IS, what can I do to loose weight I eat healthy, I don't drink pop or eat junk food but I need to lose alot of weight. And I don't know how to do it. I need someone that can help me I just don't know what to do anymore I have tried to get on the Biggest Loser I know that the only way I feel to lose weight is to solely focus on that but I don't know how working the hours that I do. Please help any suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I work nights, too and have found that getting the sleep in is very important. I have had to set aside a specific time and tell everyone this is the time that I sleep or at least rest, you may not disturb me unless it is an emergency. If you work nights you need to get slightyly more sleep, too. It's also important to try to maintain your sleeping time on your days off and not flip back and forth between sleeping at night or during the day. Not getting enough sleep doesn't allow your body time to purge fluids and stress hormones and makes it harder to lose weight. You can also get a day simulator lamp and just let is shine on you for 20 minutes when you wake up before you go in to work, this helps your body to adjust and also allows your body to make some vitamin d.

Other than that I think it's important for everyone trying to lose weight to stay away from artificial sweeteners, large amounts of caffine, or too much processed flours and sugars and also to take a fiber and vitamin suppliment.
  • Cobehale
    Cobehale Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work the night shift get home by 830 am bed by 9 am because my body hates the night shift, along with having psorasis my immune system also hate it on top. I have tried xyngular which helps with my health is suppose to help with weight loss however my doctor states that due to my body working night shifts I will have a hard time. On top of the fact I have had a hysterectomy and that isn't helping either. due to the whole hormones thing. If I am able to excercise it isn't until about 2 hours before work because I am a single mother with 2 children one is 16 the other 5 and they both need different attention spans and have very different schedules. MY QUESTION IS, what can I do to loose weight I eat healthy, I don't drink pop or eat junk food but I need to lose alot of weight. And I don't know how to do it. I need someone that can help me I just don't know what to do anymore I have tried to get on the Biggest Loser I know that the only way I feel to lose weight is to solely focus on that but I don't know how working the hours that I do. Please help any suggestions are welcome!

I totally understand your paiin! Losing weight on the nightshift is extra hard. I am relatively new here and have started following the two links the other posted already sent your way and you will find lots of people who understand and lots of tips. I guess mostly, just keep trying, track your food, fit your exercise in when you can.

In my case I HAD to join a gym as hard as it was emotionally, physically and financially - there was just no other way to have the time to do it when one of my 5 kids didn't need me for something else! Now we all go, the kids get parcelled out to different classes/lessons/activities and I get some me time to get my exercising in....until one of them gets sick but that is a whole other story! :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

Personally, I'd say the absolute WORST way to lose weight, if you want the loss to be permanent, is to focus SOLELY on weight loss. Key is to make lifestyle changes that improve health and fitness level, and then to eat fewer calories than you burn, but not so few your body panics and thinks you're starving to death. Plug in your numbers, find out your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). Subtract 250 calories per day for each pound you plan to lose per week from your TDEE, keeping your calories per day above 1200 AT LEAST. Eat back at least half of your exercise calories.

Remember to make lifestyle changes, NOT DIET. If you can't do it for the foreseeable future you'll fail. The answer isn't The Biggest Loser, it's making little changes you can sustain.

Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out. The only reason shift work should matter to that is finding time to exercise and getting enough sleep. Xyngular, BTW, isn't "helping" with your health or weight loss; the only thing losing weight with Xyngular is your wallet. It's the Amway of diet products. BTW, a hysterectomy doesn't affect your hormones unless they did a double oophorectomy at the same time. The uterus isn't a producer of female hormones, but ovaries are.
  • Rosalindgr
    Rosalindgr Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I work nights too, what helps me is packing my meals fruits, veggies I love the bell peppers yellow red orange , almonds, cherios, sometimes a sandwhich. when get in the morning I might have a little oatmeal, or toast with jam before I go to sleep. my main meal it when I wake up. I also try to get at least 30 min of excercise mostly walking. drink lots of water hope this helped.
  • monicalynne68
    monicalynne68 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've worked nights for 10 years. I belong to a gym and I get there at least 3 times a week but then again, I don't have little kids to worry about. My oldest is in college and my youngest is a senior in high school so they can take care of themselves while I'm at the gym, I try not to eat a lot while at work. That gets a little difficult because someone is always bringing in food. Bring in your own food so you aren't tempted to eat what people bring in or order take out pizza or something like that. I bring in oikos greek yogurt. It's sweet and only 130 calories. Also, try to get in your exercize as much as possible. You don't need to go to the gym to get a workout. Do you work on a ground floor? If not, take the stairs as much as possible and avoid the elevator.