In place of a road map!

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I will try that, thanks. Right now I'm aiming for about 1900 calories but limiting my carbs. I cut out oatmeal in the mornings (seriously just leaves me famished about an hour or 2 later) and trying to avoid bread and rice. I will see if it helps with the weight loss and hunger.

Ahhhh, oatmeal sounds about right. Now in my case, instant packages, so I should expect quick sugar hit. steel cut rolled whatever they are is supposed to be better, but still carbs.

When I eat oatmeal camping, I'll actually add vanilla protein powder in to it, balance and needing more cal's in general.

If you love the oatmeal, that would be interesting test if merely having more protein improves the effect.
  • kiku76
    kiku76 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I will try that, thanks. Right now I'm aiming for about 1900 calories but limiting my carbs. I cut out oatmeal in the mornings (seriously just leaves me famished about an hour or 2 later) and trying to avoid bread and rice. I will see if it helps with the weight loss and hunger.

Ahhhh, oatmeal sounds about right. Now in my case, instant packages, so I should expect quick sugar hit. steel cut rolled whatever they are is supposed to be better, but still carbs.

When I eat oatmeal camping, I'll actually add vanilla protein powder in to it, balance and needing more cal's in general.

If you love the oatmeal, that would be interesting test if merely having more protein improves the effect.
    I never eat the instant stuff, but it oatmeal seriously does nothing for me in terms of keeping me full. I've always heard it's supposed to keep you fuller, longer. Nope. Not in my case.
    I had protein and veggies yesterday and I was definitely fuller longer.
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    thanks for the awesome post!!! :)
  • lsardes2
    lsardes2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    if you want to set your MFP calorie goal to a set amount and then only eat back calories if you work out that day (and track the cals burned with a personal HRM) would you set your MFP to your sedentary level or your BMR to eat each day? Have seen both suggestions on this thread so... thank you!
  • heybales
    Options
    if you want to set your MFP calorie goal to a set amount and then only eat back calories if you work out that day (and track the cals burned with a personal HRM) would you set your MFP to your sedentary level or your BMR to eat each day? Have seen both suggestions on this thread so... thank you!

You are not alone in that desire. Many have very variable workouts week to week, or don't always get them in.

Use the spreadsheet, the MFP Tweaks tab.

Because the MFP BMR may not be as accurate as your BF% BMR. Or, you may want to eat above your BMR as this whole thread is talking about.

So that tab will do it for you. Suggest you use the RMR figure too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm sedentary or lightly active. I have a desk job, and sometimes I walk at night or do Turbo Jam, usually 3-4 times per week. When I do Turbo Jam, I burn around 1000 calories. When I walk, I burn around 600.

339 pounds
    66" tall
    35 years old

How much can I eat to lose 1-2 pounds per week? MFP has me set to 1840 calories per day if I want to lose two pounds per week.

Do I eat my calories back using TDEE or no?

I'm so confused.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm sedentary or lightly active. I have a desk job, and sometimes I walk at night or do Turbo Jam, usually 3-4 times per week. When I do Turbo Jam, I burn around 1000 calories. When I walk, I burn around 600.

339 pounds
    66" tall
    35 years old

How much can I eat to lose 1-2 pounds per week? MFP has me set to 1840 calories per day if I want to lose two pounds per week.

Do I eat my calories back using TDEE or no?

Use the spreadsheet referenced in the post right above yours.
    You included the hrs of exercise per week in TDEE estimate already, you do not eat them back.

And that workout schedule is neither of those probably, if you spend 1 hr 3-4 times a week. That's Moderately Active.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I just read the original thread. That helped a lot. Thanks!
  • lsardes2
    lsardes2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

You are not alone in that desire. Many have very variable workouts week to week, or don't always get them in.

Use the spreadsheet, the MFP Tweaks tab.

Because the MFP BMR may not be as accurate as your BF% BMR. Or, you may want to eat above your BMR as this whole thread is talking about.

So that tab will do it for you. Suggest you use the RMR figure too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

This is so helpful once I figured out that there are different pages on the Excel file!! Used the MFP Tweaks tab and it all makes sense now! Thanks so much! :)
  • Just_G
    Just_G Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Laura26C
    Laura26C Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks for sharing!
  • rowdylibrarian
    rowdylibrarian Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Started reading this at work, but it is long, looks really interesting, will finish when i get home!!
  • TisMeEggin
    TisMeEggin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump :drinker:
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    confused, but bump anyway for later!
  • WhiskeyCity
    WhiskeyCity Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Bump...for the new folks.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Helloitsdan....another question, this thread is very long so pardon me if it is repeat question. I followed your advice to determine my goal weight, thankfully I am very close to it. But what determines the level of exercise one is doing? I think I would be categorized under moderate exercise, so when I make that my calorie goal do I still eat back exercise calories? I love Fat2Fits theory in eating at the maintenance goals of the weight you want to be, but I am still feeling a bit confused.
    I am 5'2" and currently 123, by current BF% is 24.3 but have chosen my goal of 23% bodyfat making my goal weight 121. Here are my other numbers.
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1519
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1741
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1962
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2184
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2405

My diary is open and would greatly appreciate any advice you can give!!
  • dlneitzel
    dlneitzel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Helloitsdan....another question, this thread is very long so pardon me if it is repeat question. I followed your advice to determine my goal weight, thankfully I am very close to it. But what determines the level of exercise one is doing? I think I would be categorized under moderate exercise, so when I make that my calorie goal do I still eat back exercise calories? I love Fat2Fits theory in eating at the maintenance goals of the weight you want to be, but I am still feeling a bit confused.
    I am 5'2" and currently 123, by current BF% is 24.3 but have chosen my goal of 23% bodyfat making my goal weight 121. Here are my other numbers.
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1519
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1741
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1962
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2184
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2405

My diary is open and would greatly appreciate any advice you can give!!

No, if you are using fat2fit you don't exercise cals back as unlike MFP they are included in your activity level.

However, if you are close to your goal weight the difference between your current TDEE and your goal weight TDEE may not be enough to give you a deficit, which is why the site suggests you take off 200-300 as you get closer to goal.

To check the difference just put your current weight as your goal weight in f2f.