Running out of money to eat healthy!!!I need advice for my g

Options
13»

Replies

• zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for evryones advice...I recently signed my daughter up for Ca WIC program and went to the WIC store today(I go to the special stores to avoid the dirty looks of shoppers at the checkout)I was able to get 1 can of beans and lentils,three boxes of steel outs,two bags of brown rice,and frozens veggie bags of squash,sweet potatoes,peas,green beans,and a head of green leaf lettuce.At supper walmart I baught a pound of turkey meat,chicken breast,and whole wheat pastas.all this weeks groceries cost me about 40 dollars,so we will be buying only whole foods from now on!Oh and I only have one husband :p
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is thin and healthy, and he eats outside the square. Lessons I have learned from him that I certainly did not know before.

Potatoes have incredible amounts of vitamins in them. A potato bake for dinner with vegetables on the side is filling and good for you.

You can make a meal of cauliflower and cheese. vegetables such as a handful of beans, carrots, broccoli and peas on the side are easier with a little sauce too.

Baked potatoes with cheese and one rasher of bacon cut up and fried and mixed in can be fantastic.

Nachos made with 2 tins of chilli beans, some corn chips, some cheese and a dollop of light sour cream are fantastic.

If you double the veges on your plate, suddenly one sausage is enough.

Veges in NZ are around $3 per kilo. Meat is around $20. Cheese has protein, as do eggs. And we do not need a fistful of protein a day to survive. We can actually do well on less than that.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    PS what is a steel out?
  • VeraSchwankl
    VeraSchwankl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? Bountiful Baskets is a great way to get cheap produce, as long as you're not a picky eater. It's $16.50 for a basket of fruit and a basket of vegetables. They choose stuff that's in season and that they get a good deal on. You pick it up at a park or a school near your house on Saturday morning. www.bountifulbaskets.org

If there isn't a Bountiful Baskets pickup near you, look around for some kind of Farmer's Co-Op or community garden near you. I know people who have gotten a crate of fresh produce each week from a community garden for very cheap. Again, you don't get to pick what you get, but it's a good value.

Good luck!
  • newmommynewfitme
    Options
    There is a program called Share, just type in Share food program with your state and something should pop up but I'll link an example here.

http://www.goldensharefoods.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=63

These programs are not limited to anyone, so everyone can utilize this program. Each state's program differs a bit but they all offer quality foods , veggies and fruits.

If you have a Sam's club or Costco near you, join...it really saves money! I Sunflower market or Sprouts as they are becoming one soon are awesome, if you have one near you. Their veggies and fruits are a steal at times. See if you have any meat markets, they often have meat packages that you can strech for months. I know the one in my city, I got 25 pounds meat for 60 bucks.

Chicken is so versatile, you can do so much with it as is ground turkey.

Also I love my local Safeway, the meat manager told me what time they bring out market-down meat and boy do I get some great deals. As long as you cook them or freeze by their date , it's good meat. Meatless days are awesome also. Have soup and grilled cheese, nachos as someone said, potatoes, the ideas are endless. The most important thing I can say is planning your meals.
  • newmommynewfitme
    Options
    PS what is a steel out?

I think she meant steel oats.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    You can make your own Greek yogurt. This has become my new obsession! Greek yogurt is so yummy, high protein, calcium, low cal, but expensive if you buy it!
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    Options
    I recommend to anyone to grow as much of your own fruit and veg as possible. You'll be surprised (if planned properly) how much you can grow even in the smallest of places. tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes, bell peppers, runner beans, peas etc. The possibilites are endless really. And its cheap! For example a pack of tomato seeds £1 approx tomato grow bag £3-4 and water £free. You'll have enough tomatoes from one medium plant to feed the three of you regularly over the summer. A little cost initially HUGE savings long term.

In an area approx 20 square feet we have: 3 types of cherry tomato, peas, runner beans, chilli's, courgettes and strawberries (soon to be planting) pumpkin, broccoli, beetroot, bell peppers and spring onions. Herb wise we have, lemon balm, lemongrass, crimson king basil (smells devine in the greenhouse), rosemary, oregano and english thyme. All this was about £12 in seeds (online deals and free in gardening magazines) and will give us a wealth of home grown food throughout the summer.

More importantly it would be a great little project to have amongst the family especially for children. Throw in the odd sunflower seed for your children to take part and it's a done deal :) Enjoy.

Oh almost forgot. Get a couple chickens if possible. Cheap to buy, cheap to feed (they'll eat most table left overs) and they'll provide you with fresh eggs daily. We have 4 chickens and they cost approx £10 per month to feed and we get 2-4 eggs per day! Box them and sell excess to your neighbours for a couple of pounds for 6 etc.
  • duffydog1
    duffydog1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This web site has a great list of family recipes for feeding four or more people for a max of $10.
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/cookbooks.asp?cookbook=58000

Healthy food is worth spending some time preparing. I am a great suporter of 'home made'. It is cheaper and better for you. If you buy in season salads and vegetables they are always cheaper - do you have markets you can vist for the best prices?
    Meat and fish seem to be very expensive at the moment, but you can add other things, to make them go further. I often make things like marrocan lamb stew - lamb is expensive but you can add pureed onion, tomatoes and then lentils of split peas. These are low fat and relatively high in protein and take on the flavour of what yopu are cooking so you don' even notice the lamb portion is smaller.
    a roast chicken is a good meal for 3 or 4 of you, then pick the carcass and use the pieces the following day to make a chicken risotto or paella - just add rice, mushrooms, onion, tomoatoe and garlic and a small tin of sweet corn and maybe a little red pepper. and a stock cube.

Dishes like chile con carne are also good as the minced beef go a long way with tinned tomatoes and onions added. 500g of mince beef will make enough for chile for 3 or 4 people with a large bed of rice and still have some left over for topping jacket potatoes the next day.
    best wishes x
  • Jnoecker
    Jnoecker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from! We went from 2 incomes to one and our food budget took a hit. I've found several places to trim that have stretched my food budget.

-Pork seems to be the cheapest "meat" protein. A pork shoulder is great in a crock pot, shredded and used in several meals. We also get "country style pork ribs" and make them on the grill.

-Stir fry made with veggies,brown rice or quinua can feed a crowd.

- Roast a chicken (or get a rotissarie at the store) and get at least two meals out of the meat. Make stock out of the bones and soup from the weeks leftovers.

-Dollar stores have spices and pasta that help add variety to meals-cheaply!

-Shop at the farmers market for veggies and fruit. Most markets will give you a great deal if you shop the end of the day just to get rid of their supply. This is best when the markets are one day per week.

-You can oftern get great deals at discount chains like Bottom Dollar Foods, Aldi's and local food salvage stores. Frozen veggie, fresh fruit and often meat are good deals. Stay away from the processed, prepacked stuff. It may be cheap on your wallet but costly to your health.

-Spend some time reviewing your utility bills. I've called all of them (car insurance, phone, cable, gas, electric) and gotten better rates. It takes a little time and often a lot of patience but I've easily trimmed $100 a month just by making adjustments or getting better deals. This can help your food budget go a lot further.
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i meant to say steal oat lol