Gaining weight :-(

Hi everyone

Hope someone can help me find a fix to my current problem. I'm sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet an doing exercise 3-5 days a week, including around 5 miles running. If I do exercise then I allow myself more calories - but I've only been over that calorie allowance a few times.

I've been losing 1lb a week. But this week I've slipped and had three days on the trot eating just over my calorie limit. I've still been exercising, but I've probably eaten nearer 1700 Cals a day

I've gained 3lbs!!!

How can I shift that weight again? I don't want it to take 3weeks!!

Please help :-(

Replies

• phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Okay. First, you did not gain 3 pounds of fat in 3 days. That's likely water retention. To combat that, drink lots and lots of water, especially with all the exercise you're doing. It will take as long as it takes, but rest assured that you are doing so many awesome things for your body that have nothing to do with the scale!

I will also add that small gains will happen. It's a fact that gaining weight is a natural part of losing it. Just keep it up and you'll get there :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    It's completely normal for women to gain and lose up to 5-10 lbs throughout the month or day. My weight can fluctuate a good 8 lbs in just one day depending on what I eat, when I weigh, my water intake, and much more.

Don't sweat it. Just keep plugging along doing what you're doing.

I would consider eating 100-300 calories more per day. The 1200 calories is a minimum, and with that much exercise, it'll be beneficial to have more energy.
  • clareiow
    clareiow Posts: 53 Member
    Thanks guys!

I don't mind it taking time to come off - I feel it will be more likely to stay off! I'll up my fluids and hopefully that will help.

Must admit I've never done calorie counting properly before
    (former Atkins devotee) so it came as somewhat of a shock to see such a gain.!
  • I also had a similar problem. I found that most days i found it reasonably easy to come in on or around my 1900 calorie daily limit. But some days i felt really hungry, and despite exercising 3 times a week , found that i sometimes put on up to 3lbs at a time.Having lost 2 stone already, you can imagine that this was a bit of a body blow. Fortunately for me, i have a friend who is a ex professional boxer, so i decided to pick his brains. I showed him my food diary, and he deduced that, on the days where i was either bang on my limit, or over it, i was consuming mainly carbohydrates. So he suggested that if i was hungry, and needed to consume more calories to negate the effect of hunger, i should do so by consuming mainly protein, due to the body's inability to store unwanted protien as fat. Now i'm no expert, and was not aware of this, but all i do know, is that it works for me. Now if i'm in need of a quick snack, i eat some chicken, turkey, tuna or scrambled egg whites.
    I dont know if this will help anyone else, but it does the trick for me. I seem to feel fuller for longer. And if i'm not mistaken, isn't that the thought process behind the Atkins Diet?

Weight loss update*** 6 weeks down - 30lbs lost.
    was 23stone 3lbs - now 21st 1lb.
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Now if i'm in need of a quick snack, i eat some chicken, turkey, tuna or scrambled egg whites.
    I dont know if this will help anyone else, but it does the trick for me. I seem to feel fuller for longer.

i absolutely agree on the lean protein! I find if i am hungry particularly right before bed (I work nights so my body is all kinds of "off"), a piece of light string cheese or something will calm down my tummy enough so I can sleep, and I am also less likely to wake up starving. I agree that it's a good way to add in some healthier calories, in addition to all those yummy fruits and veggies!