Do you "bank" calories for another day?

Options
On sunny weekend days, I can easily burn 700 or more calories hiking and walking - so I eat more. Yay!. Yesterday, I had 170 calories left at the end of the day.

But the days when I really want to put things in my piehole are long, dull weekdays when I'm stuck in the house (I'm a SAHM with no car on most weekdays). If the weather is particularly grim, I may not get out for a walk or a run in the morning, either. That means I'm looking at a day sitting around the house and restricting myself to 1250 calories.

Can I "bank" the calories earned on other days, if I'm careful? I think maybe it would be a good idea to have extra calories "expire" after a week or so, as well.

Anybody ever done anything like this? How does it work for you?

Replies

• almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Your totals are calculated over a week so hellzz ya! If I have an extra few cals, I eat em!!! You gotta love Sundays
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I know I have done the opposite of this and never really took away the over consumed calories which is what brought me to where I am today. :)

We talk about weight loss using a "pounds per week" event so the theory of what we do daily feeds that metric. In theory it should work. "Are you dedicated enough to stick by that" is probably the bigger issue over a week window? Too, if one over consumes then you are asking your body to put it into fat stores so it may not be the best idea as we all know how difficult it is to get them stores reduced!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I bank them, check out my Saturday diary YUMMY! Lost around 18 lbs so far so it's working. Just don't carry them over from week to week. From what I understand, even weight watchers does this
  • dragomom
    dragomom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    How do you bank them? And isn't the calorie amount done on a daily basis and not a weekly basis?
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, I'm generally way better sun to thurs and I go way over fri and sat!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Take your daily calories x 7 days add exercise calories. That is your weekly allowable amount, eat less on day and more on another day. For instance, if you know you are going out to eat on Saturday and your meal will be around 800, you just need to "save" enough through out the week. Another option is to have a high calories burn day through exercise and use those for dinner out. I work out extra hard on Saturday mornings (and thankfully I have the extra time) because I know on Saturday evening I am going to want to eat a high calorie dinner and dessert.
  • kirstyjosephine
    Options
    All the time. I 'save up' for cheat meals and times when I know I won't be able to stick to my calorie limit.
  • Bevbl3
    Bevbl3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes I bank all the time! I work to a weekly average and my phone app has a weekly button that tells me how I'm doing. It shows me how many NET calories I am under my weekly goal.

The week runs Monday to Sunday which is great for me as it's on the weekend that I tend to eat and drink more so through the week I can bank some for Fri-Sun.

I've lost weight consistently by working it this way.

Have you thought about using your time at home to do a workout DVD? May be worth investing in some for the days you can't get out?

B x
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    How do you bank them? And isn't the calorie amount done on a daily basis and not a weekly basis?

There's a weekly tally, as well.

But, you could just do the math, yourself.

A week wouldn't end on Saturday or Sunday, for me. Those are the days when I burn the most calories. The days when I'm bored and wishing I could eat a piece of chocolate cake are weekdays.
  • katysmelly
    Options

Have you thought about using your time at home to do a workout DVD? May be worth investing in some for the days you can't get out?

B x

Yeah, I have. Used to have one, in fact. I found them hard to do because I couldn't quite get the space I needed in front of the TV. But! I'm going to look into getting another one. I'll need something by next winter.
  • Bevbl3
    Bevbl3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You could get a skipping/jump rope if you can find room to use it; that burns loads of calories!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    How do you find your weekly total? I don't usually bank but this weekend is a rough one food wise!
  • katysmelly
    Options
    You could get a skipping/jump rope if you can find room to use it; that burns loads of calories!

I've thought of that... our ceilings are too low.

Putting on club/dance music and dancing is do-able. Even fun!
  • Captian_Dathon
    Options
    I like to count my calories per week, not per day. :) This allows me to eat different intakes each day, keeping my metabolism busy! :D I have stopped plateau-ing when I started counting cals/week instead of cals/day.

This won't work for everyone, but for me it helps, especially when there is one day a week I KNOW I am going to go way over my limit with food. I can't let food ruin my day/week/month for me! :D
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i do the opposite, earlier in the week i went out for a meal, was soooo over i had to add 200 calories for 6 days in a row so i wouldn't be over after the week is out. i thought the same as you, weight watchers do it so it might be ok? ;) i do jillian michael's 30 day shred, live in a flat with not much room, but i can do that dvd no problem (regarding the room to move that is)
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Run in place or jump rope outside...who cares who watches!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a weighted hula hoop! Walmart carries them. They are around $20, and they are "collapsible" (screws together at ends)..so you can store it anywhere, and take it anywhere!
    I hula hoop pretty much every day...my hoops are 4 lbs for both of them together...and I use them together for hours at a time! I love hooping...great exercise, AND it's FUN!!!
    You can burn up to 100 calories in 15 minutes too~!