Fat girl doing the Tough Mudder?? Crazy??

Options
I REALLY want to do the Tough Mudder race, but I'm not even sure how I would go about training for this thing or if I should even try.

http://toughmudder.com/?gclid=CPKbsrfvga8CFahgTAodcTMb2w

Has anyone done this race yet?

Replies

• kirstyjosephine
    Options
    Pretty sure this type of thing is open to all fitness types. GO FOR IT.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    i haven't tried but want to!
    where do you live?
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    OMG that looks amazing, really bloody scary but amazing. Go for it!!
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ive registered for Sydney's event in September. They say it takes between 2-4 hours and you really need to be able to run a minimum of 10-12kms. They give a fairly decent training program too.

I did the Warrior Dash in February and in all honesty it really wasn't that hard. Mind you, I run 10-15kms three times a week so running isn't a problem for me. The challenges are also designed so you'll need team assistance to get over hurdles etc, so I think you'd need a fair amount of upper body strength and that's where the training program will assist in your preparation.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hey! i plan on doing the norcal one in september and i'll more than likely still be considered overweight at that point.
    i'm not worried about the running bit, so at the moment i'm focusing on my upper body strength. i figure if i can do a few pullups by july i'll be well on my way.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Go for it hun!!! :D x
    I'm gonna do it when I move back to Australia!
    Doing something similar, but not as... mental.. hahah

http://www.gaelforceevents.com/west/ << in August

http://www.gaelforceevents.com/turfguy/ << in november!

iRISH STYLE !!!! :)
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!

I am booked on the Spartan Race in August
  • jamie_maddox
    jamie_maddox Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am registering for the Tough Mudder in Indiana in June!!!!!
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm doing somthing very similar in one month! I nearly cried when I realised what I had been signed up for!!!:sad:

My friend signed me up to raise money for help for heroes as we lost our friend in Afghanistan. (She didn't tell me what it was :mad: ) No backing out as it's for Dave, at least I know wherever he is Dave will be laughing his head off at us trying to get round it!

I'm just trying to run and weight train every day hoping I will be fit enough and strong enough. Good luck I hope you enjoy it!! x

:flowerforyou:
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That looks WICKED COOL!!! Go for it!!
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Not crazy, it's awesome! I'm the token fat girl on my gym's team doing the Mudder in Septemeber. I can't wait!
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think your determination is amazing! Go for it...and don't feel like you have to run the entire thing. I did the Warrior Dash which is a half version of Tough Mudder and plenty of people were walking when they got tired. The fact that you are even doing it, be proud :)
  • ChristySeeksBalance
    ChristySeeksBalance Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend did it last Fall. I say go for it, but only if you're going to seriously train and be in top shape for it. He trained seriously for about 8 months, finished in about 3 1/2 hours, but could barely walk for a week or so after. I don't know what location you're looking at, but here in Northern California it's literally up and down ski slopes. I can tell you from watching him it's way more than I'd be willing to try, but I'm not exactly tough. LOL
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Only problem I see with this is that the OP is no fat girl. She's a strong woman.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    They're bringing one to TN next spring. I will be doing it! Looks like a lot of fun. I'm hoping to get a team of people together to do it.
  • radioraven
    radioraven Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did the Dirty Girl Mud Run @ 184 pounds, and I did all the obstacles! Go for it, you'll be crazy proud of yourself after!
  • ldytaz
    ldytaz Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not doing that one but I'm doing Warrior Dash on 4-28
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If you believe you can do it, you will!

I have signed up for a Spartan Race in June. Crazy or not I will complete the course and I will enjoy every moment.

Way to go!
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Miss♥Ivi Posts: 461
    Options
    Totally not crazy! I'm doing a 5k on the 26th of April, the Merrell Down and Dirty Mud Run on May 6th, the Run For Your Lives Zombie 5k in November of this year and the Warrior Dash in February of next year. All of which I am registered and paid for! So I can't back out :laugh:

And I'm in no way in excellent shape. I just see it as motivation and a much more fun and challenging way to get out there and exercise! I don't care about my times just yet, I just want to get past the finish line! GO FOR IT!
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/

Check out this link for a training plan. There is a link to a pdf file with a really great circut.
    I'm signed up for the one in OH in April...I'm not sure if I'm crazy but all I can do is my best:)