starvation mode myth

Options
14567810»

Replies

• CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Its not a myth but individuals are free to eat below the recommended minimum daily calorie intake and make this determination for themselves.
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    It actually is not a myth it's true. By not eating enough your body holds on to every little nutrient from everything you eat and stores it away because your body doesn't know when it is going to eat again. I don't know where you found your info but it is totally wrong.
  • sedatsedat
    Options
    As far as I can tell The starvation mode is a myth.... for a while.
    Eat too little for too long you WILL not lose and you may start gaining. (depending how long you keep eating too little)

Same for the opposite. After eating too little, you start eating too much you WILL loose again. But after a while you WILL stop and you may gain. (depending how long you eat too much)

So point here, don't eat too little and don't eat too much. You'll be just fine.
    how on earth will someone thats eating below their rmr gain weight? that is not possible.
  • sedatsedat
    Options
    Oh and by the way, you`re not anorexic before your weight hits a certain point where you`re considered severely underweight.

Anorexia is a behavior, not a weight.

My mother was considered anorexic because she wasn't eating (as a symptom of an illness... she wasn't trying to lose and actually believed she was eating plenty) and was malnourished. She was still technically overweight.

well I`ve never heard of an overweight person getting fed and treated for anorexia. it is a mental disorder, not something you just get for a week.
    maybe your mother had other reasons for not eating, i doubt it was anorexia.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way, you`re not anorexic before your weight hits a certain point where you`re considered severely underweight.

Anorexia is a behavior, not a weight.

My mother was considered anorexic because she wasn't eating (as a symptom of an illness... she wasn't trying to lose and actually believed she was eating plenty) and was malnourished. She was still technically overweight.

well I`ve never heard of an overweight person getting fed and treated for anorexia. it is a mental disorder, not something you just get for a week.
    maybe your mother had other reasons for not eating, i doubt it was anorexia.

Well, I'm glad you didn't have to see your mother on a feeding tube for the last two months of her life. Lucky you.

My point is that symptom of not eating is called anorexia, whether the person is not eating due to "I want to lose weight" or "I have no appetite." You can be overweight and still horribly malnourished. Anorexia nervosa is the eating disorder, but anorexia itself just means lack of appetite.

From working at an animal hospital, they call it anorexia in cats and dogs, too. I know in animals, not eating and being overweight puts you at great risk of hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease, liver failure).
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell The starvation mode is a myth.... for a while.
    Eat too little for too long you WILL not lose and you may start gaining. (depending how long you keep eating too little)

Same for the opposite. After eating too little, you start eating too much you WILL loose again. But after a while you WILL stop and you may gain. (depending how long you eat too much)

So point here, don't eat too little and don't eat too much. You'll be just fine.
    how on earth will someone thats eating below their rmr gain weight? that is not possible.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • razz02
    razz02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode IS a myth.

People will keep on fighting for the right to overeat and not be responsable for their behaviour. It is like "oh why dont I lose any weight, I dont eat anything.... poor poor me". In reality people gobble down food worh 2000+ cals/day but think they ate below 1500 kcals. At the gym people think they work out really hard, in reality they only burnt a 150 cals, Walking for 40 min.

I see people like this all the time, at the gym, at work, friends etc. Lack of responsability. Starvation mode myth fits people that needs to blame anything else but themselves.

So keep on being overweight and blame starvation mode and have fun with it!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode IS a myth.

People will keep on fighting for the right to overeat and not be responsable for their behaviour. It is like "oh why dont I lose any weight, I dont eat anything.... poor poor me". In reality people gobble down food worh 2000+ cals/day but think they ate below 1500 kcals. At the gym people think they work out really hard, in reality they only burnt a 150 cals, Walking for 40 min.

I see people like this all the time, at the gym, at work, friends etc. Lack of responsability. Starvation mode myth fits people that needs to blame anything else but themselves.

So keep on being overweight and blame starvation mode and have fun with it!

Necro post!
    This thread died last august.