Late Night Sabatoge?

Options
I wake up feeling focused. Mid-day I'm still doing pretty good. After 8pm I'm a mess. Advice?

Replies

• akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    If i'm feeling peckish at night, i have cottage cheese or whey protein.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I wake up feeling focused. Mid-day I'm still doing pretty good. After 8pm I'm a mess. Advice?

Save calories for later!

http://www.leangains.com/search/label/Fat Loss

Wait!

How much are you eating daily?

Check your numbers against the link on my profile.
    It may not be enough!
  • XOchocolate
    XOchocolate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I always save some calories for this time. My fav is yogurt and chai seeds or maybe a ww brownie with herbal tea.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Let me be more clear. I do save calories for the evening. I try to keep food intake pretty even throughout the day. The problem is late night I want to eat everything in the pantry. It's like I just forget every positive thing I did during the day and I just want to EAT. Like ZERO willpower and I cant quite figure out why or how to stop it. :embarassed:
  • Mijo88
    Mijo88 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I log what I'm going to eat as a late snack right after dinner. For example after my dinner at 6:30 or 7:00 I log that I will eat a bag of 100 calorie popcorn and a bryers 45 calorie popcycle as a snack. Sometimes I eat it and sometimes I don't. I feel knowing the snack is waiting for me kind of frees me from the erge to splurg.

I hope this helps!
    Cheers!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    No matter how much I eat, I ALWAYS want to eat at night... It's annoying, right? Here are a couple of things that are helping me, though I'm FAR from perfect in this area!! Drink LOTS of water all day long, chew sugar-free gum at night to give your mouth something to chew on, and find something to DO during that time to get your mind off the munchies. I have started doing a 30 min stretching routine after my kids go to bed. It relaxes me, focuses my mind, and keeps me busy so I don't grab the Cheetos at 9 p.m.!! If stretching isn't appealing to you, find something else, something that occupies you so you don't obsess over the pantry or fridge :D When all else fails, go to bed!! All the best to you on your journey!
  • kstallmann
    kstallmann Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I've been doing really well for a week, then last night went crazy. I don't know what it is about that ime of night. Here's what I've tried: (its usually when watching TV for me). I have an elliptical in front of the TV, so exercising instead of sitting there. Gum or Nips, which taste good and take a long time to finish. Waiting 20 minutes before eating anything else. Drinking water. Drinking tea. Knitting or playing with Silly Putty to keep my hands busy. Tracking or reading success stories on MFP. Getting up and doing housework, taking a walk, anything to change the environment.

If anyone else has any tips, I'd love to hear them! My feeling is that we're vulnerable at night because we're tired, and its easier to fall back into old bad habits than muster the energy for the new activities.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My feeling is that we're vulnerable at night because we're tired, and its easier to fall back into old bad habits than muster the energy for the new activities.

EXACTLY!!! And TV is the best friend of overweight people everywhere (not counting those who exercise while watching it of course!) ;) If I'm watching TV, I can eat 1000 calories and not even remember what I ate!! I love TV at night, but I've made myself stop because it's just a fat-making machine for me :/ We ARE tired, and it's SOOOO tempting to just plop down and comfort ourselves with sweet, salty munchies. But if we truly desire change, we have to replace those habits with healthier ones :D
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I think I can pull some good ideas from this and get myself on track. Time will tell. :smile:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Let me be more clear. I do save calories for the evening. I try to keep food intake pretty even throughout the day. The problem is late night I want to eat everything in the pantry. It's like I just forget every positive thing I did during the day and I just want to EAT. Like ZERO willpower and I cant quite figure out why or how to stop it. :embarassed:

sleep......can't eat when your doing that:bigsmile:
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem :( especially when I'm watching tv or studying (like I am now).
    My biggest problem are the 3-4 hours between dinner and bed. I do find that chewing gum or drinking (green)tea helps.
    It also helps if you don't buy any unhealthy snacks. I've learned to stuff my fridge with carrots, cucumber and those kind of foods. If I want to snack late at night I have no option but to eat a carrot. And it's virtually impossible to eat a 1000 calories worth of carrots in one sitting :p
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I find that if I have a large enough breakfast, with plenty of protein, and a healthy lunch, I'm not very hungry at all in the evening.

If i skip or skimp in the morning, I do get the munchies late in the day.

YMMV
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The only way around this for me is to not buy ANY junk in, its not for the kids, they don't need it either. Only thing that works really for me. I save a extra couplr of hundred for a pink lady apple so sweet and juicy and a orange if I need something... Go to bed early sometimes too so I just won't eat x
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    This is me! I always want to eat at night while I'm IN BED! Watching TV!
    The only thing that helps is if I just do not buy any junk food. If it isn't there, I can't eat it.
    Good luck to you.