nutrition help

Options
skwhatley
skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
i feel like i need a personal chef to cook me healthy meals. i very much so lack culinary intuition so therefore i always eat processed foods and cook boxed meals (pasta roni is my fav and its so easy). i desperately want to move away from that. can i get some tips, help, advice? and usually i'm just cooking for myself since the fiance won't eat anything but junk! (i blame his mother for spoiling him)

Thanks in advance.
-Sarah

Replies

• ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Since you aren't very interested in cooking and you're doing it for one, here is what I have been doing for myself:

I purchase chicken on sale and freeze in my own marinade so that when it defrosts, I don't even have to remember to marinade it! It's really simple to bake. Throw it in a glass dish, cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 20-40 minutes, or until done in the center. I cook a side of rice (try half brown rice and half your favorite rice at first) and veggies. I cook for four, dice up the leftover chicken and mix with the rice/veggie mixture and freeze in three different portions. So, I cook once and eat 4 times! The leftovers are best if you defrost in the microwave and throw it in a frying pan to finish heating it.

And now I'm patiently awaiting everyone else's responses. Because I'm in a food rut being that I only eat chicken as far as meat goes. :tongue:
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    start with easy things---if you really can't "boil water" there are videos for EVERYTHING

www.videojug.com a british site that has instructional videos on even how to chop and onion---peel a potato---tell if chicken is cooked you name it===WONDERFUL SITE!!!!

you can google Campbell and they have recipes with up to 5 ingredients.

Learn how to make mashed potatoes with cauliflower and maybe your fiance can learn how to grill---it's a boy thing---and FOOD NETWORK on TV or internet----Alton Brown takes the simple and teaches you how to do it RIGHT----and he doesn't do famcy stuff---just the basics.

ALL RECIPES.com is a site that you can look at and store recipes

Sparkrecipes has a calculator so you can work out caloreis in your homemade treats.

A salad is easy!!! Fry a steak, or fish...lots of recipes for baked skinless chicken. If you are on a computer---there is LOTS of help out there!!

I love to cook---but work all day and a single mom of 3 teenagers---first thing I hear after a hard dayis "WHat's for supper" Chili is easy and you can freeze several meals. Soups----I made RAchel RAys;s CHORIZO CORN SOUP last week---it was easy AND delicious and it freezes!!! IF you get yourself a few things in the freezer you can save your energy for those crazy days that cooking is not a joy but a chore!
  • skwhatley
    skwhatley Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Those are good ideas. I can't even get good cooking ideas. I just suck at it. I guess I should have paid more attention when I was younger and still living with my parents.

More ideas and recipes are welcome!:drinker:
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I've had to learn how to cook on my own, and with 6 of us in the house, eating out is not an option...we have to cook, lol! I don't konw if I could help you cooking for one -- I don't actaully think I could cook fo rone, hehe! But I love the steam bags from Glad or Ziplock. You can throw fresh veggies in there with alittle seasoning and you have fresh steamed veggies. You can also cook chicken, fish, shrimp, potatoes, etc. I use those on the rare occassion I have to eat alone. You can visit either of the company's websites for more ideas.

I also frequest myrecipes.com -- I've found a ton of stuff there that was very good.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I eat very simply and it works for me.

breakfast---oatmeal, applesauce, banana

lunch---Isagenix protein shake

dinner salad (spinach, tomato, peppers, onion, radish, cucumber). grilled or steamed chicken or fish, fresh or frozen vegetable

Learn one meal at a time. This is going to be your new life so there's no rush to learn it all at once.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    http://www.e-mealz.com/how.shtml

This is a pay site and the link is the "how it works" page. My sister-in-law swears by it. She's paying for a cycle of 12 weeks and printing out the recipes as she goes. When the 12 weeks are up, she's canceling and just using the recipes from her bank. This may or may not be something you'd like but I figured I'd throw it out there! You can always cook for two and freeze half for yourself another week. Here is a website with a list of substitutions but sometimes I just cook it regularly and use portion control. I fill in with steamed veggies to help fill in the gap (in my belly).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00585
  • red_july
    red_july Posts: 13
    Options
    you can always check out those places that make "homemade" meals. I have never used them but the one close to my house wants you to commit to a certain number of meals. You can freeze everything and also have everything portioned out for you. You get to pick out the meals you like from a list and they make it and you pick it up.

www.ciaochow.com is in Dallas

Some of the meals are listed as WW accepted.