I'm debating....

Options

Replies

• Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you! I prefer the gym. Being around other people motivates me and keeps me going long after I would have stopped to take a call or let the dogs out at home. I like the competition and social aspect at the gym as well.

$19.95 is a very good monthly fee. Check about any other charges like initiation fees etc.

Nothing to lose if you try the gym and see what you think!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i'd jump at a gym membership like that. reason being i tend not to do strength at home. and the last/first time i joined a gym, you could see the change in muscle tone in my arms within 2 weeks...
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Gym. I've tried the workout at home thing in the past and well, I'll be honest with you... if I can choose between sitting on my couch with a good book and working out? I'll choose the couch every single time. With the gym, the fact that I have to pay for it gets me there. Or the fact that it has EVERYTHING I could possibly want or need to workout gets me there.

To each their own, really. I commend people who can workout at home and lose weight, but that isn't me.
  • MommyBea
    MommyBea Posts: 84
    Options
    The only reason im not into the gym thing is cus our gym here is crap....there isnt even a trainer so it really sucks and what im doing at home seems to be working so im sticking to it! But if i had the chance to get a good trainer and gym membership i would prob go for it!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    ^^;; I'm a little too poor for the gym!

I think I'd be too discouraged if I went to the gym, anyway, surrounded by people already far ahead of me!
    I mean, I know generally people are kind and inviting and could share helpful fitness tips, but that doesn't stop my social anxiety!

If you ever decide to join a gym, go to many different ones before joining one (most will let you workout at least once for free). You'd be surprised to know there are a lot of gyms full of people just like you. When we first joined, I was terrified. I was overweight, out of shape and embarrassed. We joined Snap Fitness and it was a perfect first gym - it had all kinds of people - from ones who were really in shape to ones who weren't. After a year, we kind of outgrew them and moved on to a bigger, more sophisticated gym (Powerhouse). Don't let fear keep you from working out. :)
  • jeni3004
    jeni3004 Posts: 9
    Options
    I say go for it! If my gym in my town had childcare I would be there every day, no lie! Before we moved here my boys and I spent 2hrs a day 6 days a week at the YMCA in our town that offered a fabulous free child care center.

I know it's just a psychological thing for me, but when my workouts at home don't "count" for me LOL. I know they can be just as effective, but in my head, it doesn't ever count towards calories burned.

Going to the gym is a great mental release and allows me to get into the "zone" that I can't get into at home. Music up and the rest of the world disappears :)
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I needed the gym. I needed not to see "projects to do" around my house that cld stall my start time. But for me I needed someplace open 24 hrs, cuz sometimes I hv to go at really silly times of day or night because of my ever-changing work schedule.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I prefer home workouts because If I buy something (video, equipment etc.) it's mine forever so it's an investment that keeps on giving. I also hold myself to a strict schedule everyday and it's easier to walk down to the basement than it is for me to drive to a gym and find child care. I have found so many workouts that I love I just prefer to stay at home. I can also be wearing next to nothing and not worry who sees me lol. I am currently doing Insanity right now but in the past I have done All Jillian Michaels workouts, Chalean Extreme, Tiffany Rothe, Tracey Anderson, & bodyrock.tv which I love them all!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Although I did join a gym in the past, I prefer to work out at home. I had a good collection of aerobic and other work out tapes/DVDs, so on a whim, I could start a workout. Sometimes when I belonged to the gym when I was tired from a hard day's work, just getting ready to go was enough to discourage me. Big screen TV, step bench, and a mirror; that's all I need.
  • grumpya
    grumpya Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good deal but read the small print! If you have the time to go to the gym & no-one is going to go without it may be worth doing for the personal training. At home you can get into bad habits, personal trainers will move your hand or angle your foot by a few degrees & suddenly what seemed so easy at home is suddenly really burning. It may be worth it to get toned & learn some new stuff but only if the money is available & you will not have to struggle with the healthy food shopping
  • tmassy
    tmassy Posts: 21
    Options
    Gym. Surrounding yourself with others that want a fit lifestyle helps. Obviously, there will be some cons. Depends on your pet peeves. I take a few group excersice classes and have met some really amazing women. We get together regularly for dinner and other activities. Anyhow, good luck!
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of a gym about 6 miles away for several years - lots of machines, lovely pool, sauna, steam rooms and jacuzzi - and nice changing rooms. Trouble is I hardly ever went - something else always came up, and because I was an offpeak member, by 3.15 p.m. it was not worth going! While my leg has been recovering, I suspended my membership, and it re-starts next month - This time I am determined not to let other things get in the way of going. I will need to treat it like a doctor's appointment! I've already put it in my diary twice a week for the first month, then 3 x a week, and will have to let you all know how I get on!!!
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    I used to go to a gym, but now that I have kids, I find it a lot easier to workout at home. I workout while my daughter is at school and my son is napping. Like another poster said, going to the gym can take up to an hour longer, plus I have everything I need at home. I prefer free weights anyway, and I have a wider range of sizes. I also have an elliptical for cardio. If I did not have kids, I might use a gym, but working out at home saves a lot of money. $20 sounds like a great deal, though.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm exercising at home like crazy but I got an offer from a local gym to do a month by month prepay for only $19.99 a month and 3 Free hour long sessions with a personal trainer per week. It's a very nice facility and highly respected gym in my community.

Which do you prefer: Workout at home (or Neighborhood) or going to the gym? Why?

I don't have a problem working out in front of people so I could really care less about that. :)

Let's talk. :)

If it were me I would snag that up in a heart beat if it is only going to be like $20.00 bucks a month. I rather have a personal trainer as for then I know what I am doing is going to be or should be right. KEY just remember if you are not enjoying yourself then it while working out it is not worth it good luck have fun.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    that gym membership sounds awesome and if you don't feel like going you can always still work out at home. i say, if you think you'll use it go for it! i'd love a personal trainer.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    there is something to be said for both. I like going to the small gym uptown because I really enjoy the social part of it. I go to the aerobics classes and when the ladies get to laughing and talking, it seems like the time flies by. I also do workouts that I normally wouldn't like yoga on thursdays. That's what they do on thursday so that is what I would dol. I really have trouble making myself do yoga at home.

On the other hand, I can do a workout whenever I am ready to at home. I have a lot of good workout videos and I can do one any time I have the chance to whether it is 10 am or 10 pm. I also don't have to worry about how I look or what I wear when I am at home.

Either is great. Try out the gym membership and see how you feel about it. If you like it, that's great, if you don't you can come back home for workouts. They gym thing sounds pretty cool, even if you only did it for a few months.
  • kjbbdoll
    kjbbdoll Posts: 86
    Options
    I used to be a member of gym and liked it a lot. However, now having a toddler I know that it just won't work out for me. I do a lot of exercise at home and I also go to Brickhouse Cardio Club where I can pay per class that I am able to attend without any commitments or contracts. They have Zumba, Pilates, Yoga etc and I enjoy it very much!
    Find what works for you...everyone is different. Good luck!
  • normanmac
    normanmac Posts: 34
    Options
    I love my gym because it has a pool and I love the boot camp aqua fit class that I go to. I also love some of the other classes they offer like Group Power (also called Body Pump) and yoga. So if that gym offers any specific exercise classes I'd recommend checking them out.

Since this offer has NO contract and you can join month by month I say go for it especially because you can utilize the trainer. If you hate it you're only out one month and $19.95. If you love it...that's a small price to pay for your health.

I might add that my usage of the gym declines during the summer months....so with summer rapidly approaching you may love it but not use it over the summer and the month by month payment plan allows you the luxury of not paying while the weather is nice. I am locked into a contract and must pay either way.
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I actually do both...I enjoy my zumba classes and using the treadmill and strength machines...But I also do at home workouts as well. I am starting Chalean Extreme in April. I like using both, keeps things interesting...
  • Rozlynmac
    Rozlynmac Posts: 71
    Options
    I know it's been a few days but....
    I found paying monthly for gym membership makes me go more often. Partly because I want to get my money's worth, but also because I tend not to have cash to hand, so if I didn't remember to take money in the morning, I wouldn't go to the gym that day. Knowing it's paid for means I can walk in anytime that's convenient for me and get on with it. I have a monthly deal too so can stop anytime I want to.

Some days I save time by not showering at the gym if I go in the evening after work, I just head home and shower there once I've got dinner on. It saves loads of time & I can relax in the shower or bath while the dinner cooks.