Low thyroid

Options
2»

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 10 years ago. Yes you can lose weight. Just stick with it.
  • niceMarly
    niceMarly Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed in June 2009 (I beat the Big C). I take 200 mcg of Eltroxyn daily. I was told by my family physician that it would be nearly impossible to lose weight, but I am determined to prove her wrong. I eat around 1200 cal/day and exercise three times a week at the local pool; I am already seeing a difference. I"ve lost 24 lbs in ten weeks! I absolutely MUST lose as much as possible before my total knee replacement later this year.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I, too, was diagnosed with severe and profound hypothyroidism in 2004. It completely changed my life. I thought that after taking Synthroid the weight would fall off but it hasn't ... not at all. As many who are hypothyroid, depression is also added into the mix so I have to take anti-depressants which hinder my weight loss significantly. I've done a lot of diets, etc. and may have found one that is working for me now b/c I am getting the nutrition I need, etc. I am on Herbalife and have lost 17 lbs. in one month. I have felt better than I have in years BUT still have over 150 lbs. to lose. I know some who have lost on Weight Watchers while others have lost just by eating better. Those didn't work well for me. Just keep with it! I think MFP has been a great source of inspiration for me b/c I can see that others are battling the same things I am with success. Also, love the food diary so there is no second guessing myself. :)
  • SweetP411
    Options
    I was diagnosed about a year ago. It took nine months and 5 different dosages to finally find the one that got my thyroid levels where they should be. Since then, and with daily walking and modifying my diet, I have lost 20+ pounds and am getting ready to start a 12 week challenge with over 60 people across the country.

I don't use it as an excuse for why I am fat, but knowing its going to be harder to lose the weight makes me more determined so I don't fall into the trap of using my low thyroid as an excuse for why I can't lose. I can and will.

For others, make sure you get your levels tested, don't just assume the 25 or 50 dose tabs will do it. Again, I had to go five rounds before the dosage was correct.
  • rouseamanda
    Options
    Hello! I'm having an opposite effect from that many of you are having. I lost a lot of weight especially for my size and height recently. I went to have tests taken, and my thyroid test level came back low. I'm looking to raise this level to normal at the same time of gaining weight back. I don't want to just overindulge as I'd like the weight to come back the right way and to the right places instead of just sitting on my gut. Has anyone else had this same issue? I'd love to hear advice as what I'm doing is not working!
  • jameslis
    jameslis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I am so relieved to find this conversation because I was just diagnosed with hashimoto about 2 months ago. I am was first on.50 mcg of synthroid and my numbers were fine but I felt tired when I saw my dr n he then put me in .75 mcg synthroid n .25 twice a day on cytomel. As soon I took cytomel I had bad headaches and so then he told mr to alternate my synthroid .50 n .75 every day n take cytomel during lunch (once). I guess I feel OK headaches here n there .... but my biggest question is how much do I eat since my metabolism is slower then a " normal" thyroid so I don't gain weight. I am a exercise maniac lol I did realize a couple days ago I was hurting myself for ayear by not eating enough. For example MFP put me on eating 1420 Cal a day and I would burn 800 Cal and not eat those back. I wonder if that had anything to do with my thyroid numbers being low bcuz I slowed my own metabolism down ?!?!? So it makes me curious if I really do have hashimotos lol but if I really do can someone please guide me on how many calories I should consume during the day n if I should eat 6 small meals. Do I eat my calories back?!?! Should I follow MFP calorie intake?!?! So many questions run thru my head I really need guidance from ones who are knowledgeable n going thru this too for me to trust what I am doing is OK lol please help! :)
  • jameslis
    jameslis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How do u become a member of the hypothyroid group bcuz I was diagnosed with has hi and I need positive ppl to talk to that are dealing with the same thing!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I have an under active thyroid and am being treated by a Naturopath, I am losing weight but it's very slow, it's frustrating because I see so many people on here that lose weight like it's nothing, but I struggle to lose even 0.5 a lb.