Wow... I didn't know

Options
how good exercise is. Last year, I used MFP and lost about 15 pounds, just by cutting back to 1200 calories a day. I never really exercised, other than PE class and walking to and from school. And since I didn't exercise, when I stopped counting calories, I gained back 30 pounds.

Today, I was reading a post, and I saw someone mentioning bike riding. It sounded fun, so I got out my old bike (which I haven't touched since I was hit by a car riding my bike last year). I went down to the park right by my house (a 30 second walk, no kidding) and started to ride. The loop around is .5 miles, and I did ten laps.

I really hate PE and everything, because I am in the athletic class, and we're just pushed insanely hard, harder than what I can do, and so it makes me feel like a failure. But riding my bike around the park, it was so much fun! I forgot how nice it was just to listen to my iPod, and work my legs for awhile.

I had an epiphany today. I mean, I'm 15 years old. I'm in high school. These are supposed to be the best years of my life, but I weigh 200 pounds. Every time someone laughs, my stomach clenches, because I'm pretty sure they're laughing at my weight.

I'm determined to do it right this time. I'm going to lose weight, and I'm going to keep it off. I'm going to enjoy high school, I'm going to wear what I want to wear, not what hides my stomach.

I had a revelation today. And it started with a bike (or that poster on MFP :tongue: )

Thanks for listening... er, reading... sorry for the ramble, but I'm proud of myself for riding 5 miles today, and I'm making a goal of doing it everyday, except for Fridays.

:smile:

Replies

• MaryMunroe
    MaryMunroe Posts: 1
    Options
    Good For you! I believe you can do it. I don't even know you but I believe!!!!
  • girlygirl82
    girlygirl82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Go YOU!!! Thats how it starts... by getting excited about the end result and then making it happen. : )

Kudos to you and keep on biking!:smile:
  • cherie2304
    cherie2304 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! I know what you mean. Keep up the good work.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Good job, I hope those pounds fly off.
    Those inconsiderate kids at school will be jealous of you seen enough, and if their laughing at your weight they have problems.
    That always P'd be off in highschool :explode:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Good for you sweetie!! You are so young and your body can bounce back so nicely!! And you are right...these are some special years...you should enjoy them as much as possible.

I wish I had that kind of epiphany at your age!! And you are lucky to have MFP and other tools to help you. :happy:

And exercise feels great, doesn't it? I am addicted to endorphins myself!!

Keep it up girl!!! You are doing a wonderful job!

:flowerforyou:
    -Tami
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Good for you, riding a bike can be lots of fun. I hadn't ridden one since I got my drivers license (err, about 14 years ago :grumble: ), and I just bought one last year and started riding. There are some days that I am too tired, but for the most part I really enjoy my rides and enjoy exercising that way.

And good for you for getting on track now. The weight can sneak up on you very slowly in your 20's and suddenly you're like Oh my God, where did all this weight come from? Starting out right will help combat that.
  • andmik
    andmik Posts: 1
    Options
    when i read your story it made me think of myself when i was in high school i use to think everyone was laughing at me in high school i weighed 265 ponds i wish i had the determination that you have back then sicne high school i have became i diabetic at the age of 25 i had lost 105 pounds but gained back 60 lounds of it and reading your story makes me believe that i know i caan do it again so i just wanted to say thank you for sharing i went for a walk today with a friend and realized how much fun it was to take a walk instead of getting in my car so from your story the weight loss determination continues on once again thatnk you
    andrea from pa 29 years old
  • jcarter0525
    jcarter0525 Posts: 84
    Options
    awesome...and keep in mind....anyone who laughs at someone's flaws only means that they themselves have insecurities and for some stupid reason, it makes them feel better about themselves to put you down. People like this will always have self-image issues, however, you can rest assured that you will come out on top when you're all grown up and confident and they're still living the high school life...Trust me, I'm about to be 29 years old and I STILL know people who have a high school mentality. They suck. Good luck with your weight loss!!!
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Great job! It sounds like you're doing awesome :smile: Exercise should be fun! Keep up the good work and you'll be at your goal weight sooner than you know it! :flowerforyou:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
    :bigsmile:
    Jump in & stay with it. We're all here for you if you need support.
    Remember, we were almost all in your shoes (some of us can barely remember because it was so long ago!) & we're here for you any time you need us.
    :heart:
    :heart:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    That's great; I hope you're feeling better!
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Ugh, reminds me of high school PE. I was in the athletic class, too. The track coach and her pet track star to be exact! I HATE running and we were pushed to the limits in running. I think that's where I started to strongly dislike activity! I loved getting out there and walking at my own pace, even though all the other classes got to stay in the gym and play games the whole period. But I would run to the locker room crying if they made us run. If you didn't do it in a certain time, you had to jog an extra two laps while everyone else sat there and watched you do it. It was so demeaning and yeah, I actually heard them talking about my jiggle. I was actually only 145 pounds back then and ended up having a fat complex.

Unfortunately, now I'm actually fat and would give just about anything to be back at that weight! Hang in there and keep at it and you'll have the body you always dreamed of. Be careful and definitely make sure you're under the guidance of your Dr. with how many calories you're restricting! There are a lot of really useful sticky posts talking about how you should be eating more at times and not less or you won't lose weight properly. You seem really smart, though, so I'm sure you will figure it out. Best of luck to ya and tell those folks in PE to shove it! :flowerforyou:
  • DonzGirl
    DonzGirl Posts: 42
    Options
    Stay with it----the rest of your life is ahead of you!!!!!!!!!!!! You can do it and will be all the better for it. Just keep your eyes on the goal....junior and senior proms, dances, parties, graduation
    all with a new you!!! Good luck this summer!!! Keep us posted!
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    Wow, everybody. Thanks for the great responses. I love MFP because of the huge support system here.

And yeah ngwife- My PE teacher makes us run if we don't get our mile time under 9:30. And when we do running drills, if we don't do it right, we run one lap under 2:00, or we don't get water. It's enough to make you hate working out. And lastly, my doctor is working with me to lose weight- she actually recommended this site to me. =D
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    OMG, I hated running in PE also. I was always the last one to finish.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Sounds like your PE teacher is an *kitten*. Just do your best. We'd give you water! :drinker:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Congrats on realizing how much more you will enjoy your High school years as well as your future, by beginning a healthy "lifestyle".

You make me want to go bike riding, thanks :flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Good job Cellorocker!! Sounds like you are well on your way to figuring this stuff out for yourself. Congratulations - you will be setting yourself up for a lifetime of health and enjoyment. If you get the weight issues under control now, and keep the activity level up your whole life you will be so much better off when you are an old lady like me - you will be fit and healthy instead of fat and sick!! :drinker: Good Job!!!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Good for you!!! Do you realize how far ahead of the pack you are just by figuring this stuff out at 15!?!?
    You are awesome! :flowerforyou:
    And, if you can learn to ignore others' rudeness and ignorance now!
    ~ you will rule the world! :wink:
    Find that fun for you exercise and you will become addicted!!!
    Good luck to you! I know you will succeed!

Becky
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Cello, you rock!
    You sound confident and ready to take on the world.
    You Will Succeed. :drinker:
    Stick with us girl!