unique salad dressings?

bearxfoo
bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
I'd really, REALLY love to start eating salad more but I'm not sure how great a salad would taste without dressing.

My problem is that I have a lot of foods I will not eat, because I simply do NOT like them. Like "I'm going to vomit if I eat this" kind of dislike.

They are:

Mustard
Mayo
Ranch
Sour Cream
and I really don't care for many oils or vinegar.

So that's my issue. Many, if not all dressings contain at least one of those things, so I'm like... lost on what to do.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Greek /Plain yogurt with a little water, garlic powder and dill.
  • caroljoy08
    caroljoy08 Posts: 6 Member
    I made a salad the other day with romaine lettuce, green apples, pecans, blue cheese, green peppers and onions. I was almost done with the salad before I realized that I did not put any dressing on it. I didn't miss the dressing at all.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Bolthouse farms yogurt based dressings.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Do you like salsa? Sometimes I'll put some chicken and salsa on a salad with other salad fixings. Its like a taco salad, minus the taco.
  • vlaura
    vlaura Posts: 93
    Have you tried balsamic vinegar? It's delicious, I put it everywhere, even in my sandwiches.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    I dice up tomatoes (with all the yummy juices), green onions and add a little basalmic... Very very low calorie and tastes pretty good =)
  • bearxfoo
    bearxfoo Posts: 81 Member
    I'll have to try some with the yogurt.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    I mixed some creamy garlic dressing with salsa the other day and omg it was sooo good! Whatever type of creamy textured thing you like, say yogurt, like greek yogurt, take that and mix with salsa, adding a bit more salsa than creamy stuff. You will love it!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Fruit based dressings are different and good. Puree red or black raspberries with oil & walnuts. If you don't like olive oil, there are options: white truffle oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, etc.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Salsa, guacamole, or pureed veggies and fruit with herbs.

Or you can lightly coat your salad with sweetened water, and serve it with a mixture of veggies and fruit. I don't need dressing when I have ripe strawberries, kiwis, tomatoes....
  • I use Red wine Vinegar or cottage cheese
  • shortie555
    shortie555 Posts: 37 Member
    any flavor chummus! it's really good and creamy!
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Hummus is really good too. I also will put my salad in a bowl and add hot soup or stew on top and it will wilt the greens. Super yummy!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    lemon juice & bacon salt
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Newmans makes a light lime vinaigrette dressing. Love it!
  • jkdarby
    jkdarby Posts: 53 Member
    Pomegranate vinaigrette is really good. It does contain olive oil, but it doesn't have that "oily" texture.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    A sqeeze of lime juice and a dash of chilli sauce can really liven up a salad or steamed veggies.
    If hyou haven't tried balsamic vinegar - give it a go and see if you like it.
    Or, add fruit like mango or orange to your salad - it gives a lovely bit of sweetness to the salad and you really don't need dressing.
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    How are you with Asian flavours? Sweet chilli, cilantro, soy sauce and lime makes a nice quick Thai-inspired dressing....
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 328 Member
    Greek yoghurt, lemon juice, and Garlic

Greek yogurt and teaspoon of shop bought salsa sauce

1 Tablespoon Peanut butter, a dribble of lemon juice, 1teaspoon garlic, 1teaspoon light balsamic salad dressing and soy sauce (optional) - I use this as more of a vegie dip but it's still good.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    I love putting warmed salsa on top, like 25 Calories for 4 Tbsp and Its Yummy